Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 23,518 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So this Western PA weather (and it's not even that bad yet!) is seriously taking a toll on my motivation to exercise. Does anyone know of any good (free, preferably) places to run indoors in Pittsburgh? My hometown let the public use the high school track after school hours, for example. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbutrfly View Post
Hi,
So this Western PA weather (and it's not even that bad yet!) is seriously taking a toll on my motivation to exercise. Does anyone know of any good (free, preferably) places to run indoors in Pittsburgh? My hometown let the public use the high school track after school hours, for example. Thanks a lot!
Ahh come on, run outside. Being outside in the elements is great! I have a gym membership but I also run outside all winter long.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:18 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Not a runner, but... I walk outside all winter.
It's quite invigorating!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Ahh come on, run outside. Being outside in the elements is great! I have a gym membership but I also run outside all winter long.
I agree, I was running last Saturday in the pleasant light snowfall. But it's really the darkness that prevents me from running much in the winter. I was running almost daily after work before the time change, but now it's pitch black when I get home and have to use the exercise bike in my bedroom on weekdays. But I still hit the Montour Trail on the weekends.

But to answer the question, I guess it would help to know what part of the area you live in. I know the new community center in Bethel Park has an indoor track, so I'm sure there's got to be others like in the city or other suburbs.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not a runner, but... I walk outside all winter.
It's quite invigorating!
It is, really gets the heart pumping. And all that cold air makes you sleep like a baby at night.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I agree, I was running last Saturday in the pleasant light snowfall. But it's really the darkness that prevents me from running much in the winter. I was running almost daily after work before the time change, but now it's pitch black when I get home and have to use the exercise bike in my bedroom on weekdays. But I still hit the Montour Trail on the weekends.

You're opposed to running at night? I was out at 10:30pm the other night.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM

294 posts, read 659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbutrfly View Post
Hi,

It's not "western PA weather" so much as it is northeastern/midwestern weather. It's really not much different at all. At least you don't live in places like Denver out west where the temp has been in the single digits for weeks with tons of snow. I'm seriously laughing now at the people that were saying that Denver has a better winter than PA.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM

3 posts, read 23,518 times
Well, I'm glad you all enjoy the cold weather, but I'm a CA native and still haven't learned to like PA winters. Good thing I'm not in Denver, I guess. Anyway, I'm in the Friendship/Shadyside area. Any thoughts?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 AM

106 posts, read 212,026 times
Maybe climb the Cathedral of Learning stairs over in Oakland. Not sure if it is open to the public.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:38 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
I don't know of anything that is free. The P.A.A. has an indoor track I think. I think the Y in Homewood has one too. The Rivers Club downtown has one too I think. Another source may be Elite Runners and Walkers, a running shoe store in Robinson. The owner, Kevin Smith is pretty involved in the running community. If anyone knows a free place to run it would be him.

Have you invested in decent clothing? That makes all of the difference when you are running in the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh