Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 PM

11 posts, read 27,639 times

Advertisements

another post on an old favorite topic - I'm new to town and need to get the car inspected. This should be a no-brainer. The car is new - less than 7K miles. Anyone who tries to tell me what's wrong with it is clearly trying to sell a bill of goods. Live in Squirrel Hill, work in Oakland (spouse), Shadyside (me). Any suggestions? Considering (based on past posts) Homer's. Bellesario's is down the block in Oakland from spouse's work - any experiences? Other suggestions? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,671,894 times
Since you know nothing's wrong with that car that would make it fail, just go wherever is cheapest and convenient. This list from the state is all the stations in Allegheny County. http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/stations/sw_allegheny.pdf (broken link) If you don't want to click directly on the PDF, start here and click on Allegheny: http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/stations/stations_sw.htm (broken link)

Unfortunately the ones you want will be in the big group that says just Pittsburgh, so you'll have to dig into your zip codes (15213 I know is one you might look for), etc.

They used to have a price list on there too, at least for emissions, but I've been looking and looking and don't see it. Perhaps that was just supposed to be temporary as it was only several years ago that emissions testing was taken off a fixed pricing system. Or else the stations just whined about it and they stopped. Who knows.

It's one thing if you have a car with problems and need a good shop, but in the case of an inspection on such a new car, you just need the cheapest inspection possible in a good location. Call around and get prices, or just pick one. Prices can vary widely, though. I think in some shops you may still get out for around $40, but many will be $60 or more total after the two tests (a safety inspection and emissions inspection).

Old 12-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It's one thing if you have a car with problems and need a good shop, but in the case of an inspection on such a new car, you just need the cheapest inspection possible in a good location. Call around and get prices, or just pick one. Prices can vary widely, though. I think in some shops you may still get out for around $40, but many will be $60 or more total after the two tests (a safety inspection and emissions inspection).
Thanks. I saw those lists and wasn't sure if the places listed did safety or just emissions. Frankly, I'm not looking for the lowest bidder. I'd be wiling to pay a few dollars extra for the peace of mind of knowing that my car wasn't about to be butchered... Thanks for the feedback..

Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,707,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profslacker View Post
Thanks. I saw those lists and wasn't sure if the places listed did safety or just emissions. Frankly, I'm not looking for the lowest bidder. I'd be wiling to pay a few dollars extra for the peace of mind of knowing that my car wasn't about to be butchered... Thanks for the feedback..
If you are picky where you take your car, there is a good shop in the Strip District called German Motor Werks on Penn Avenue.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:29 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,671,894 times
Eh, what's the worst they could do, get the seat dirty? Seriously, nothing significant gets taken apart for the inspections. The emissions is now done by plugging into the OBD connector (instead of the old tailpipe way), so they rip you off about 30 bucks for plugging in a machine for a few minutes. Safety inspection requires putting it on a lift to look at some things and removing wheels, so I guess those are where the worst things could happen, but still, pretty routine stuff. I guess the really worst they could do is wreck the car somehow, but anyone could have a bad luck day and do that.

German Motor Werks is probably a good idea if you want to check out a place where you might take the car again for other stuff, but it won't be as convenient to your home/work. I really don't know any specific shops to suggest in those areas. I just wouldn't go to Joga's (which apparently still exists) or Baum Blvd Auto (across the street, which is where Joga's used to be), although my bad experience with those folks was a dozen years ago.

Are you covered under VW free maintenance program? It won't cover the inspection, but typically the dealers offer the inspection too if you want to try out dealer experiences. Maybe you're close to one of the service intervals and can kill two birds. Unfortunately there aren't any convenient dealers. The only one in the city is Rohrich, which is on West Liberty Ave south of the Liberty Tubes. The rest are all way out (Monroeville, Wexford, Moon, etc.)

Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Eh, what's the worst they could do, get the seat dirty? Seriously, nothing significant gets taken apart for the inspections. The emissions is now done by plugging into the OBD connector (instead of the old tailpipe way), so they rip you off about 30 bucks for plugging in a machine for a few minutes. Safety inspection requires putting it on a lift to look at some things and removing wheels, so I guess those are where the worst things could happen, but still, pretty routine stuff. I guess the really worst they could do is wreck the car somehow, but anyone could have a bad luck day and do that.
Sure. But why take the chance of someone who other folks have had bad experiences with?
German Motor Werks is probably a good idea if you want to check out a place where you might take the car again for other stuff, but it won't be as convenient to your home/work. I really don't know any specific shops to suggest in those areas. I just wouldn't go to Joga's (which apparently still exists) or Baum Blvd Auto (across the street, which is where Joga's used to be), although my bad experience with those folks was a dozen years ago.
Great - this is helpful feedback, thanks.
Are you covered under VW free maintenance program? It won't cover the inspection, but typically the dealers offer the inspection too if you want to try out dealer experiences. Maybe you're close to one of the service intervals and can kill two birds. Unfortunately there aren't any convenient dealers. The only one in the city is Rohrich, which is on West Liberty Ave south of the Liberty Tubes. The rest are all way out (Monroeville, Wexford, Moon, etc.)
I am covered, and will make the trek out to the dealers when I hit that point, but since I'm not near a service interval, I'd like to do it close by and easy. thanks for the feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: