Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Ok, this isn't Maine. WHEN WILL IT STOP SNOWING?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

Friends who have lived in Pittsburgh their whole lives tell me that we are entering some kind of cooling cycle and that winters used to be milder in the city. Guess I missed out on that.
We get a super bad winter every 15-20 years or so. In the early 90s, we had a winter with three outright blizzards. This is nothing compared to that winter.

If you stick around long enough, you'll get to enjoy our milder winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Dear Snow,

You can stop now. Thanks.
Funny! I don't recall it being so constant---ever. You'd think constant flurries day after day would accumulate into more snow on the ground.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Try living an hour north of the city, within a snowballs throw of The Lake Erie Snow Machine. Since the major storm a week ago we've had 2-4" every day, and according to NOAA and The National Weather Service, it's not letting up any time soon.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:48 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
^I hear that Doug...........we've got 10 inches to a foot on the ground over here across the border. I have a friend that works in Burton, Ohio in the snow belt, say they have like 3 feet!

I also don't remember having such consistent snow and i live in the secondary snow belt! I'm not gonna complain though, all the pretty snow is much better looking than the usual dead, brown/grey look we have w/out the snow.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Ok, this isn't Maine. WHEN WILL IT STOP SNOWING?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

Friends who have lived in Pittsburgh their whole lives tell me that we are entering some kind of cooling cycle and that winters used to be milder in the city. Guess I missed out on that.

You're kidding, right?

Have you looked at a weather map lately? If you did, you would see that the ENTIRE Country is in a deep freeze. That includes Miami. You can't single out just Pittsburgh this time.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 AM

323 posts, read 834,868 times
Ok, it is SNOWING again and the Big Storm is 4 1/2 hours away. It isn't supposed to be snowing until 2 pm!!!! I haven't seen the sun since Christmas. The snow belt has expanded to include Pittsburgh.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Funny! I don't recall it being so constant---ever.
A friend of mine says we're getting a blizzard the Pittsburgh way--on layaway.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Seriously, I don't recall there being such a long stretch without at least one day of no snow. Even in the years where we've had big snows of 12"+ inches. I need a break. I fell shoveling two nights ago and have been living on Advil and heat wraps. Come on Spring!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
We are becoming a nation of wimps, it's snowing, big deal. Move to Florida with all the blue hairs.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
We are becoming a nation of wimps, it's snowing, big deal. Move to Florida with all the blue hairs.
Absolutely true.

In semi-related news, I'm announcing the unthinkable: I'm leaving Pittsburgh.

OK, not anytime soon, but I recently learned that one day, thanks to my land-collecting dad, I'll be acquiring some acreage in rural south-central VA and I'm planning to build an off-the-grid cabin (next to a river), 3 miles from the nearest road. It might actually be sooner rather than later, since he'll let me build on his property before it's mine, and I'm not sure how much more of society I can take. I've found a company that builds prefab solar-powered "green" homes for around the cost of a mid-priced sedan and as soon as I have enough equity built up in my current house, I'm outta here and yinz won't have me to kick around any more. And I certainly won't complain about the weather, even though since I'll have to drive a couple miles down some tire tracks through the woods to get home, I'll have a valid reason to.

P.S. I tried to rep you, Copanut, but it said I had to spread it around some.

Edit- this post made me feel like a privileged jagoff. I'm not (I'm actually the somewhat historically underprivileged son of a hardworking miser), but the subject of winter weather and how I'll have to deal with it in the future (something I've been thinking about a lot) prompted me to share my recent news, which I'm still in the process of processing.

Last edited by creepsinc; 01-07-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh