Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

What about Butler County between Kittanning and Butler? I'm heading that way within the hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 05:55 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Have already been hearing the complaints about local tv and media weather forecaster's not forecasting the severity of the sunday morning black ice event. Take notice that even the National Weather Service failed to forecast or warn about the dangerous icing until the event had actually begun.
This is not true at all. We watch the news every day, from morning through evening, and multiple stations were saying the possibility of a wintry mix including freezing rain was possible. We found out my wife's grandmother passed away on Friday and remember explicitly discussing the possible bad weather as we would travel to the Youngstown area.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NANDOAL View Post
My 23 minute rid3 to work this morning from Churchill to the North Hills took 4 hrs!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
The state and townships consider it a waste of money to clear roads when people can easily just stay home. As a taxpayer, I consider it a waste of money too.
Hopes, would you consider it a waste of money if you had a heart attack at home and had to wait for an ambulance to make its way there, then to the hospital, over the icy roads?

It's a public safety issue, whether sensible people stay at home or not.

BTW, here's an article from the PG: Treacherous ice hit in an instant

If you look at the picture, "Ice 6" you can see me sitting in the traffic. (That's what? About five seconds worth of my 15 minutes of fame?)

Old 12-14-2009, 08:20 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Hopes, would you consider it a waste of money if you had a heart attack at home and had to wait for an ambulance to make its way there, then to the hospital, over the icy roads?

It's a public safety issue, whether sensible people stay at home or not.

BTW, here's an article from the PG: Treacherous ice hit in an instant

If you look at the picture, "Ice 6" you can see me sitting in the traffic. (That's what? About five seconds worth of my 15 minutes of fame?)
I'm guessing you're the one in the blue pick-up?

So, yeah...the actual forecast black ice event never took place. The roads were a little wet, actually, completely dry in some areas this morning when I headed out at 4:15am. But damn that Mother Nature, she completely ruined one of the best meteor showers of the year last night!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Yep, that's me. Going nowhere fast...

Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 PM

133 posts, read 391,811 times
In some places in New England, they have sensors in the road that send signals back to the road crew headquarters with info about precipitation and temperature. That's part of what they use to decide exactly where and when to deploy trucks.
And I distinctly remember hearing that freezing rain was possible. Anytime it's possible, the roads should be presalted and the trucks positioned for deployment. Period.
And weekends are just as crucial as weekdays. If someone could prove that the state is lax on weekends, the family of anyone who died in a crash due to unsalted roads would have an suit. If I go into labor on a weekend (due in Feb), I'd better not have to deal with unsalted, icy roads to get to the hospital. As a taxpayer, I want the roads to be clear and safe at all times so that cops, firetrucks, and ambulances can get through.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
In some places in New England, they have sensors in the road that send signals back to the road crew headquarters with info about precipitation and temperature.
Funny you should mention that.

PennDOT has such a system too. It's called the Road Weather Information System (RWIS).

http://www.rwis.state.pa.us/site/site.nsf/mainpage

Don't waste your time clicking that link, it'll tell you you need a password to access it.

Prior to late last winter, you could access the sites and see for yourself the road surface and subsurface temperatures, conditions, and whether a deicing agent was in use. For much of last winter, many of the sites in District 11 (that's the PennDOT district here around the Burgh), were offline for "maintenance".

When it was all up and running, I kinda liked that my tax dollars were working for me that way. For some reason, they don't work that way now.

I actually sent PennDOT an email earlier this evening asking what's up with RWIS. I'll post the answer if I get one...

Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM

133 posts, read 391,811 times
Quote:
I actually sent PennDOT an email earlier this evening asking what's up with RWIS. I'll post the answer if I get one...
Sounds like it's offline for them, too. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 AM

Well, I have to say I'm impressed with the responsiveness of PennDOT.

I got a reply before 9 a.m today.

While I'm disappointd that the RWIS information is no longer available, I commend and thank Jason Norville for being so forthcoming in his reply. I'm sure he has more important stuff to do than confer with me.

Quote:
Thank you for your recent inquiry concerning the PennDOT RWIS Website.

While we appreciate the value you have attached to RWIS, we feel it falls short of being an effective public information source and therefore we had no choice but to take it down while we consider steps to improve its quality.

In the meantime, we invite people to visit our PA 511 and Travelers Information page (511PA - Travel Info To Go) where we have more than 400 cameras that people can use to see travel conditions, up-to-the-minute traffic, transit and weather information they need to help them reach their destination.

Thank you,

Jason M Norville | Winter Services Manager
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh