Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 01:34 PM

54 posts, read 116,549 times

Advertisements

hi all

as we were flying into Pittsburgh, i can't help but notice that a lot of homes have swimming pools.

here i though pittsburgh was Cold and has lake-effect ;p

how much use do your pools get? when does season start and end?

I've never owned a pool, how much is maintainance? how much work?

On the same topic, we are coming from the south, we like to hang outside, watching kids!!!. How much use of our decks will we get in Pittsburgh? Or should it be enclosed (sun room, screened in) etc bugs?

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
We don't have a real pool, but we are in the kiddie pool between roughly late May to early September.

As long as there isn't a lot of open water around, we don't have much problem with bugs. We do use citronella candles sometimes if we are hanging on our porch, but that is about it.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:13 PM

thx
i have water babies. but my hubby has already decided on NO pool. his arguement is that we won't have enough days to use the pool. and too expensive to maintain.

currently we are members of an indoor pool. we even go in the winter time ;p

Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,383 times
Pools are expensive and time consuming to maintain. There's plenty of public pools,athletic clubs, etc., with both indoor and outdoor pools, to join in the area. The traditional outdoor swimming season in the north if from Memorial to Labor day, roughly 5 months, sometimes longer if we get an exceptionally warm Spring and Summer.

I use my deck year round, even in the winter time. It's not enclosed. I just use citronella candles and tiki lamps and the bugs stay away. Also, you may want to check out what some people refer to as burning plates or fire pits. Fire Pits - Outdoor Heating - Outdoor Living - Outdoors at The Home Depot Outdoor Heating & Accessories They're basically outdoor fireplaces. If you do chose to get one of these, be careful to keep them far enough out on your deck away from your roof line, or out in your yard. And keep a hose or bucket of water handy in case an ember falls out of the plate.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:50 AM

how do i go about looking into public pools? are they in a gym? does pittsburgh have a "wet" park with sprinkles and swad pool for kids in the summer? thx

Old 01-01-2010, 12:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apirlrain View Post
how do i go about looking into public pools? are they in a gym? does pittsburgh have a "wet" park with sprinkles and swad pool for kids in the summer? thx
It depends on where you chose to buy your house.

Many townships have outdoor public pools for township residents and most have separate wading pools for kids.

There are two large outdoor county public pools located in North Park and South Park.

North Park's pool is large and it also has a wading pool for children. South Park's is a wave pool, but I don't recall there being a wading pool for small children.

Many school districts allow residents to use the school pool in off hours---which is great for winter swimming.

Make sure to research these township amenities when chosing which township you want to buy your house.

There are also pools at gyms, but I wouldn't join one for just the pool when there are other swimming options that are more affordable.

When I moved out of the Pittsburgh area, I was surprised that public pools aren't the norm -- other areas of the country only have private membership pools.

I guess we're spoiled in Pittsburgh!

Most people don't use their home swimming pools very much because their children prefer the public pool where they can socialize.

We might have cold winters compared to the south, but if you're coming from a southern area with dry heat, our humid summers will be an adjustment for you.

Last edited by Hopes; 01-01-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 12:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apirlrain View Post
his arguement is that we won't have enough days to use the pool. and too expensive to maintain.
Tell hubby that's sort of a silly argument.

It costs more to maintain a swimming pool that's used all year.

You don't maintain swimming pools when they're closed during off season.

btw, you will get a lot of use out of a deck, patio, or screened in porch. You're not moving to Alaska!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:35 PM

524 posts, read 1,036,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Most people don't use their home swimming pools very much because their children prefer the public pool where they can socialize.
I have to agree with Hopes here - once kids reach a certain age, they don't want to be at their home pool; they want to be at the public pool with their friends.

Personally, I wouldn't want the responsibility and the liability of having my own pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh