Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
can't we all just get along?

Depends. Is "getting along" tolerating or accepting? hehe..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Somehow or another...'diversity' seems to be a code word for MANY THINGS like 'tolerance'...would you be tolerant of a interracial marriage...would you be tolerant of adopted asian kids...would you be tolerant of non-christian religions, would you be tolerant of gay rights, etc...

I don't think people asking about diversity are interested in diverse cultures and people. It's just code word for tolerance. Would you-ins be tolerant of me?

(So Pittsburgh, did I use 'you-ins' yinzerly correct?)

---

That being said...diversity and Pittsburgh NOT having all kinds of different languages and cultures around, doesn't mean it doesn't fit into the CODE WORD for diversity - meaning acceptance/tolerance of the non-mainstream.
The thing is, Pittsburgh does have all kinds of different languages and cultures, just not to the point that San Francisco does, so that doesn't sit well with people who are constantly using other cities as yardsticks.

I grew up in an interracial (as in black and white) household, and went to extended family functions with two different (barely English-speaking at the time) Vietnamese aunts and 1/2 Asian blood relatives. My first girlfriend was Asian, and my last one was Mexican. However, to some people, my attitude about "diversity" smacks of "intolerance". Goes to show you how some people's minds work. And I know it's a little off-topic (but not really in the big scheme), the same is true for the whole "green" meme. I live in a two-person (temporarily expanded to three through next summer) household with one gas-efficient car, one TV and no lights on, ever, in rooms where there are no people. I haven't tasted meat in 18 years, and I bring my own bags to the Giant Iggle. I'm also very "intolerant" of the greenies, although I live the way they want me to, to a T. I always have, because it seems sensible, not because I think it's going to "save the planet". The point I'm trying to make is forced "diversity", like forcing people to "live green", will cause far more problems than it will ever solve, simply due to human nature.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:10 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
The thing is, Pittsburgh does have all kinds of different languages and cultures, just not to the point that San Francisco does, so that doesn't sit well with people who are constantly using other cities as yardsticks.
One of the things that is interesting about Pittsburgh to me, is that it had many European immigrants around the turn of the century. Scots-Irish, Germans, Irish, Pole, Slovak, Scottish,Lithuanian, Hungarian,Italian,etc. Many of these folks were Catholic or Jewish, so hated by many bigoted Protestants in the day (two of the Ks in KKK). Add to this the black folks who arrived during this time, and you have a boxed set. However, by today's standards, and Tiger Beer's description, it is considered low on the diversity scale. I will agree the European immigrants may be more similar than other world cultures, but it is still an interesting heritage with a diversity of cultures that made up the city, and important to note that diversity is not always split along obvious racial lines.

CreepsInc, I know what you mean about self righteous folks making doing the obviously right thing annoying. When I spent a bit if time in Sweden many years ago, people were out walking everyday, with small cloth bags, and riding old, heavy bikes around town. Few people were obese and exercise and modest portions of food were a given. Returns stateside and most people are in terrible shape, and one fifth were all dressed up in headbands, tights, running shoes, and fanny packs, guzzling vitamins and "sports drinks" and generally fanatical about fitness. In a word, annoying. On health, conservation, and social tolerance fronts, I suspect a good bit of common sense spread widely through the populace is worth more than a small minority with self righteous zeal.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
I think what's bugging me is that some are quick to say "Look at the self-righteous zeal" whenever this sort of topic comes up, even though the majority of people both in and outside of the discussion are of the quietly doing the right thing type. Actually discussing it on an internet message board when someone brings it up (or even bringing it up in the first place) doesn't alone indicate zealous, self-righteous attitude. It's important to look at what is said and how it is said, not just the fact that something was said at all.

To bring it back to why this comes up in the Pittsburgh forum, instead of going on and on with a topic not directly related, we can again return to the people who ask about diversity in a place (neighborhood, city, whatever). What is said? How is it said? Zealously? Self-righteously? Really? They've all been programmed to ask for this by PC BS? I think they're simply looking for the places they would most enjoy.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:01 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I take it back. Food diversity is very important, and might be the only area where the ethnic makeup of a given population really matters. Who wants to eat only Mexican food, or even Vietnamese food? Although, I could live with the latter. Where else is it important, people-wise? Race? Only if you're shallow. Religion? Give me a break, they're all the same and everybody should be pagans anyways, as Nature intended. Language? Diversity in language is a hinderance, not a help. I appreciate all the different languages and would love to learn as many as possible, but I don't think it helps to have everybody only knowing one language if they all live in the same area and speak different ones. So, outside of food (and architecture, which is more related to diversity of thought), I don't get the obsession/fascination people have with "diversity".
I think when people talk about diversity, they're actually just trying to find a place with choices for food and entertainment. Maybe different cultural traditions that are new to them, too - like black-eyed peas on the New Year for luck instead of sauerkraut and pork, quinceanera celebrations, or Juneteenth. Although they might regret some, like the East Texas Christmas Pageants where Jesus gets flogged by Jews to make the kids cry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh