Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

I saw the growth there, too, the last time I was back there. However, go into Beaver Falls, and it looks like a ghost town. It's very uneven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
ScranBarre doesn't like being as far out as Fairfax, which is something like 15 miles from Downtown DC. Federick is about 50 miles and Hagerstown about 70 miles, and there is brutal rushhour traffic on the DC end.

And neither is supercheap, particularly not Frederick.
Is Frederick near-DC/Fairfax County prices?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Frederick near-DC/Fairfax County prices?
No, probably around 2/3s Fairfax prices give or take.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
These towns aren't up in the Allegheny National Forest somewhere. Highways, such as PA60/I-376 and the turnpike, plus a plethora of other roads, link these towns to jobs. Lots of jobs. In twenty minutes or less.

Towns like these are one of Pittsburgh's greatest assets. People move to suburbs for a small-town feel. After a few decades they figured out that tract housing and traffic-clogged roads don't provide the small-town feel they were looking for. So now they've started building faux-small towns on prairies within commuting distance of regional job centers. Southwestern Pennsylvania is full of real small-towns within commuting distance of regional job centers. These towns actually have bakeries that aren't called Pandora, and Italian restaurants without the name Olive Garden.
Yeah, that is what I've noticed quite frequently viewing Pennsylvania photos.

If you go to, for example, the South Dakota forum. There was a thread about 'where to eat in Rapid City' - one of their largest cities. People were just listing chain restaurants...there wasn't anything with the words Diner or anything whatsoever that as a non-SD person, I haven't heard or seen before in every other city across the country.

I also like seeing photos of Pittsburgh and seeing thousands of businesses that it looks like people in the community start up, with their own names and ideas behind them.

People don't realize how rare this is across America in this day and age. Even just browsing cities like Atlanta or Orlando...you just see chain after chain after chain on some strip mall.

I also find it funny that so many other forums, people are obsessed about malls. There was one Finnish survivalist type on the New Hampshire board...he wanted to get a gun and live in NH and get away from it all. Then he requested that he also needed to be near a mall, and had to get a microwave, because he couldn't cook. I about spit over my cough board it caught me as so absurd.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Well, Rapid City ("Rapid" as the Rapidians call it) is only 59,000 people. What do you expect?

Rapid City, South Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RE: malls: where do you think people in Pittsburgh shop? If you type in "mall" under "search this forum" (Pittsburgh) you get 984 hits.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Yeah, that is what I've noticed quite frequently viewing Pennsylvania photos.

If you go to, for example, the South Dakota forum. There was a thread about 'where to eat in Rapid City' - one of their largest cities. People were just listing chain restaurants...there wasn't anything with the words Diner or anything whatsoever that as a non-SD person, I haven't heard or seen before in every other city across the country.

I also like seeing photos of Pittsburgh and seeing thousands of businesses that it looks like people in the community start up, with their own names and ideas behind them.

People don't realize how rare this is across America in this day and age. Even just browsing cities like Atlanta or Orlando...you just see chain after chain after chain on some strip mall.

I also find it funny that so many other forums, people are obsessed about malls. There was one Finnish survivalist type on the New Hampshire board...he wanted to get a gun and live in NH and get away from it all. Then he requested that he also needed to be near a mall, and had to get a microwave, because he couldn't cook. I about spit over my cough board it caught me as so absurd.
Probably also wanted to be able to pick up the latest issues of "Guns and Ammo."

Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
I just about spit up my pop(soda) all over my keyboard and monitor just reading your interpretation of it

Back to being on topic. Pittsburgh will not boom. It just won't. The government and NIMBY's, which there seem to be an abundance of in this area, won't allow it. And a boom would be devastating to this city and region. We couldn't handle it, infrastructuraly speaking. While our infrastructure is sound for what is currently here, and could support a slow steady growth, it can not support a boom. When things start to even out, as far as population loss, which myself and a few others on this board already think is starting to happen due to recent data and studies, I would love to see a slow and steady growth. Much like this last "renaissance" has occurred.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
RE: malls: where do you think people in Pittsburgh shop? If you type in "mall" under "search this forum" (Pittsburgh) you get 984 hits.
Mom and pop stores

Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 PM

^^Is that where you shop for clothes, household stuff, whatnot? I remember talk even when I was in high school, that the downtowns were starting to lose business to the "shopping centers" as they were then called. Then the malls came in during the 70s. I remember shopping at the Monroeville Mall during the early 70s.

BTW, I read that thread on the South Dakota forum, and it seemed to me it was about half local restaurants and half chains that people were talking about.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Is that where you shop for clothes, household stuff, whatnot? I remember talk even when I was in high school, that the downtowns were starting to lose business to the "shopping centers" as they were then called. Then the malls came in during the 70s. I remember shopping at the Monroeville Mall during the early 70s.
For the most part, yes. I try to avoid malls, chain stores and chain restaurants as much as possible. Several of my friends and family members are the same way. The only real chain I frequent is AE, for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh