Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM

78 posts, read 140,731 times

Advertisements

As I have said, ad nauseum, I have been incredibly grateful for all the helpful advice I have been given by such wonderfully articulate people. So let me ask you this . . . I am a caterer here in Boston and, as many of you know, my family and I will be moving to Pittsburgh in less than two weeks! (YIKES!)

I own my own catering company here in Massachusetts, and will be starting all over again when we relocate. While I am competent it most foods, I excel in Mexican/Latin flavors. (Check out my website at HOME. Should I gear my flavors more towards the mainstream, or do you think there will be a market for what I do once I get to Pittsburgh?

P.S. I DO have a truly slamming! tail-gating menu which I can bring out for all Steelers' fans next season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
To answer your title question: hungry.

Anyway, I don't know if I can really comment on the best business model for you, but I can say that:

(a) People have long complained about a lack of good Latin/Mexican food in Pittsburgh;

(b) Some better Latin/Mexican restaurants have cropped up recently; and

(c) People seem excited about that, and as far as I can tell those places are doing well.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post

I own my own catering company here in Massachusetts, and will be starting all over again when we relocate. While I am competent it most foods, I excel in Mexican/Latin flavors. (Check out my website at HOME. Should I gear my flavors more towards the mainstream, or do you think there will be a market for what I do once I get to Pittsburgh?
Well, as a transplant from the Southwest, I would personally be really darn excited about having some decent Mexican food here. Pittsburgh really sucks in that way right now (and I say that as an unabashed cheerleader type, too!)

Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 PM

119 posts, read 384,647 times
Oh how I wish you were moving to the Philly area instead. It kills me how few places even do Mexican/Latin food in the burbs, never mind do it well.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Dude, good Mexican food is popular just about anywhere, since there is actually quite a wide range of possibilities. For example, there's the 'tex-mex' genre which is usually what most people think about when you mention mexican cuisine: stuff like tacos and enchiladas and frijoles and chile rellenos. But you can also "upscale" it and get into some of the "interior mexico" cuisine, which relies a bit less on the fried stuff and tortillas and more on seafood and fresh vegetables. I'm guessing you did some of this in Boston?
Anyway, hell yeah, you'll do fine with it in Pitt. They have a goodly percentage of blue-collar, working folk people who'll eat it up--no pun intended. And of course Pitt is a great sports town so the fans will love the tex-mex stuff. Having said that, I admit I'm biased toward mexican food--mi gusta mucho! I love it, but living in central Texas I think it's mandated by state law that we eat it at least once a month, and we're tested annually with blind taste tests. If you fail this test, you gotta move to Kansas.
Good luck!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 AM

222 posts, read 438,914 times
are you familiar with puerto rican food? i think a puerto rican restaurant would do well in pittsburgh. as far as i know i don't think there are any in or around the city.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:14 AM

78 posts, read 140,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRANGEL09 View Post
are you familiar with puerto rican food? i think a puerto rican restaurant would do well in pittsburgh. as far as i know i don't think there are any in or around the city.
(I hope I inserted the quote right -- it's the first time I've tried!) But anyway, I make a mean Pernil al Horno, and I don't think you can get more Puerto Rican than that! :-)

Other than that, I do all the finger foods, from empanadas to arepas (which makes a great sandwich for tailgating!). I make my own tortillas, and if anyone likes Ropa vieja, well . . . if I pat myself on the back any harder, I'd probably break my arm. :-)

Thanks for the input, folks. I've been a little concerned about starting over from scratch, but hubby can pay the bills while I pretend I'm still young enough to do this again!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM

226 posts, read 588,338 times
The website looks great! Like others, I think good Mexican/latin food is sorely lacking in Pittburgh. Best of luck getting something going!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I think you should do a restaurant, although that is probably considered harder work and is also less mobile should you move again. Easy for me to sit here and suggest that. Whichever way you do it, I think you'll do okay. And good luck!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i'll echo what everyone else is saying - good mexican/latino food is sorely lacking in this region, partly because we just don't have that many latinos. that population is growing though. there are a few places doing food that's not the standard tex mex fare, but there's definitely room for more. i'd also encourage you to open a restaurant cause i don't order catering very often!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh