Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 PM

78 posts, read 140,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds like she went with Greenfield.

While I assured her it's a safe neighborhood, I didn't provide any other encouragement because I'm not sure of the schools.

Then again, the schools can't be worse than the ones in Friendship.

If she wants city living, Greenfield is comparable to Friendship.

As a matter of fact, she really lucked out on losing that place in Friendship.

She was worried that Greenfield was near Homewood, but Friendship is literally right next to Garfield---a ghetto.

Greenfield is okay. It's not Mt. Lebo but schools don't seem to be her primary concern.
Thank you (again), Hopes! We're not really entirely sure what we want since we're new to it all. (And having a six month lease gives us some freedom we didn't have otherwise.) I had never heard about Garfield -- sometimes it drives me crazy how much I have to learn. Still, since we'll be there in a week, I guess I will have answers to my questions fairly soon.

Schools DO matter to me. I've heard varying reports on Minadeo, but mostly favorable. Sterrett Academy sounds solid. My problem is I have a very bright child who is also (unarguably) the laziest child on the planet. He has participated in a "two-way" program here (where the children are taught equally in Spanish and English) and, while his teachers praise him for his "delightful" character, they also speak frequently of his inability to concentrate. I am hoping that a change of venue (where he is no longer the acknowledged class clown) will help. But I'm only a mother, so what do I know?

Happy holidays to you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:05 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
After over 16 years, there are still many neighborhoods in Pittsburgh that I have never set foot in and know virtually nothing about--it is a crazy town that way.

Anyway, a six month lease sounds great as you get to know the area (and check out the schools). I'm glad it worked out--and I am sure we are all looking forward to our tasting!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:32 PM

BrianTH -- do I recall correctly from a previous post that you are from Michigan? (My husband is, and that's why I think that info stuck.) If I say "go Wolverines" in this context, will I get in trouble? (I have absolutely NO problem rooting for the Panthers -- really! I just have to learn the fight song!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post
BrianTH -- do I recall correctly from a previous post that you are from Michigan? (My husband is, and that's why I think that info stuck.) If I say "go Wolverines" in this context, will I get in trouble? (I have absolutely NO problem rooting for the Panthers -- really! I just have to learn the fight song!
Indeed I am. And I have never gotten much grief for staying a fan of Michigan sports, although I do have to be a little careful about the Red Wings in light of recent events.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post

Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8tJZ...eature=related

Old 12-25-2009, 04:10 PM

Nuwaver88, that was the coolest thing! Thank you so much. I have grown to love the "Hail to the victors valiant" of Michigan (mostly out of loyalty to my husband -- that and the fact that I went to Brandeis and Georgetown and football, well . . . not so much, right? ) But I think I can get with this song too. GO PITT!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I went to almost every Pitt home game when I was there, and never heard that song. Mostly, we sany "Hail to Pitt", which is Pitt's most popular slogan. You can say that to a Pitt grad anywhere, and get a smile.

Wapedia - Wiki: Hail to Pitt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh