Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,252 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We may be moving to Pittsburgh this summer.
My husband has a possible job that is located in West Mifflin.

A few questions that we hope you can help us out with:

1) We visited last year and really liked Squirrel Hill. We liked it for its walkability to cool shops, and friendly feel to it. We'd like to know what the commute is like from Squirrel Hill to West Mifflin--would traffic be a problem?

2) Where are the best elementary schools in Pittsburgh? Our son will be going into first grade. I've read a bit about Minadeo and Colfax and wondering if anyone has experience with these schools.

3) Finally, we are not tied to Squirrel Hill and would appreciate some suggestions for a neighborhood in Pittsburgh (considering work is in West Mifflin) that is family-oriented with good schools, even neighborhoods that aren't necessarily close to shops and require the use of a car.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
The commute from Squirrel Hill to West Mifflin isn't bad. You have to go the back way. It's a 20 minute drive.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Squi...866699&2v=CITY

Someone else will have to give you details on the schools. All I know is that the schools serving Squirrel Hill are good.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,252 times
Hopes,
thank you for your quick and helpful response.
We're also looking at neighborhoods/towns close to West Mifflin as other options and Mt Lebanon seems an interesting choice. I'm not totally into suburbia but we're moving from Rome, Italy and we are looking for a calmer more organized way of life in as many ways as possible!

We're thinking a lot of our five year old son--so good schools, lots of space, etc. all are things we're looking for. Mt Lebanon schools sound great--I've read mixed things about Squirrel Hill schools, although you can find that anywhere I guess. We loved Squirrel Hill though when we visited last year, and we'll be coming again in the next months to check out things again. Squirrel Hill is definitely our choice for within the city.

Would be curious to know more about Mt Lebanon if you have a chance, or any other suggestions for around West Mifflin too.
Thanks for your help in advance!
Laura

Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Any area of Pittsburgh's metro will be calmer than Rome, Italy!

Mt. Lebo is a nice area. You'll have a similar walkable neighborhood feeling that you have in Squirrel Hill.

For a more suburban area look into Bethel Park.

If you want to save on property taxes, look in Washington County in Peters Township (McMurray). Peters is more of a rural area.

Since you loved Squirrel Hill, don't disregard it so quickly. Nothing can beat being in walking distance to attractions like the museum. It's a short drive to the zoo too. Depending on your financial resources, you might want to look into the possibility of private schooling. The Catholic schools in the area are quite affordable. There's also some charter school options that are free. Seriously research your education options before giving up on Squirrel Hill.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Lots of people cross-shop Squirrel Hill and Mt. Lebanon, so this is an understandable quandry.

Personally, though, I really like Squirrel Hill: Mt. Lebanon is about as nice as a suburb gets in my opinion, but Squirrel Hill is still a little more walkable, more plugged into the city, significantly more diverse--and yet all while being very family-friendly and safe, with good public schools and a range of private options as well.

Now that is not to say a different person couldn't like Mt. Lebanon more than Squirrel Hill--they definitely could. But if you really like Squirrel Hill a lot, you can't do better in the Pittsburgh area (nor many other areas--a neighborhood like Squirrel Hill that is remotely affordable isn't very common these days).

As for the commute: I'd be surprised if the commute from Mt. Lebanon to West Mifflin was much faster. In fact I suspect there aren't going to be any neighborhoods really fitting your apparent preferences much closer, unless maybe you want to look out of the central core entirely.

Finally, you might consider looking at my neighborhood, Regent Square. The school situation is complicated, so I would be happy to follow up if you are interested. But in terms of feel, it is sorta like a mini-Squirrel Hill (walkable streets, good public transit, a little commercial area, and right next to Frick Park), but it also has a bit more of that "orderly" feel you might be describing (I like to call it "Mayberry in the City"). Finally, it might have a slightly better commute, at least once they finish working on the Rankin Bridge, although probably not enough to really matter.

Anyway, I hope that was helpful. And really, none of these are bad choices.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
If you want to be close to West Mifflin, Squirrel Hill is your best choice. Having lived in Mt.Lebo I can say I'm prejudiced, can't believe I moved to the North. Oh, wait a minute, that's where my wife lived, imagine that.

Anyhow, I'm biased to the suburbs, taxes and politics make that decision. But SH is a great walkable area with restaurants, shops, parks, great public transportation. Lebo is somewhat similar, but getting downtown via car is a pain.

I'd choose Mt. Lebo over SH, but that's just me.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 PM

357 posts, read 888,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura44 View Post
I've read mixed things about Squirrel Hill schools, although you can find that anywhere I guess. We loved Squirrel Hill though when we visited last year, and we'll be coming again in the next months to check out things again. Squirrel Hill is definitely our choice for within the city.
We are on our third year at Colfax, and now have 2 kids there (grades 1 and 3). It isn't a perfect school, but it is good enough that we are planning on sticking with it. But if you really want to get a feel for it, you should go visit the school and talk with the principal.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,480 times
First of all, welcome to Pittsburgh!

In addition to the places mentioned so far, you may want to check out Pleasant Hills, Jefferson Hills, or South Park. They are all certainly more suburban than Squirrel Hill, but if you're OK with suburbs, they're a good choice.

Pleasant Hills and Jefferson Hills are served by the West Jefferson Hills School District which is very good. South Park is served by South Park School District which is also quite good. The three towns are 10-20 minutes from West Mifflin, so the commute shouldn't be a problem.

A couple things to keep in mind, though, as you check things out--Mt. Lebanon is a very nice town with excellent schools, but school taxes are very high, and rush hour traffic can get pretty ugly. Expect 30 minutes or so for the commute. Also, the City of Pittsburgh has a 3% wage tax while most of the surrounding towns' tax rate is 1-1.5%.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMradio View Post
Pleasant Hills and Jefferson Hills are served by the West Jefferson Hills School District which is very good. South Park is served by South Park School District which is also quite good. The three towns are 10-20 minutes from West Mifflin, so the commute shouldn't be a problem.

A couple things to keep in mind, though, as you check things out--Mt. Lebanon is a very nice town with excellent schools, but school taxes are very high, and rush hour traffic can get pretty ugly.
Of all the school districts you mentioned, South Park is the highest, not Mt. Lebo. Common misconception, it's all about millage rates, not a perception that it costs a ton of money to live with all those rich people in Mt. Lebanon.

And if you work downtown, the T is the best thing PAT ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh