Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 04:42 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

Report: Pittsburgh among most literate cities - Pittsburgh Business Times:
Quote:
Pittsburgh was fourth in 2009, up from its 2008 rank of No. 12...Pittsburgh ranked seventh for its number of bookstores per 10,000 population, 16th in education, ranked third for libraries, tied St Louis for fifth in newspaper circulation and ranked seventh for publications. Pittsburgh's weakest category was Internet resources;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 04:59 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I seen that article.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I seen that article.

I done seen it too. We Yinzers sure be smart.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
One of the most literate and one of the most educated metros in the U.S. Where are all of the Yinzers? Or, better yet, where are all of those whom like to poke fun, making them look even worse than a Yinzer?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Central Connecticut State University (CCSU): AMLC Home

Looks like Seattle & Minneapolis are the top two all of the time. DC is in the 3rd most of the time. I'm surprised New York City isn't mentioned anywhere on the top 10 the last few years?

--

Pittsburgh ranked 3rd for libraries? I didn't realize that...wonder who else is on that list.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
One of the most literate and one of the most educated metros in the U.S. Where are all of the Yinzers?
Out of work in the Sun Belt right about now.

Somewhat seriously, the education stats improved enormously after the steel bust, thanks in part to this no longer being a place where there were lots of good jobs for people without much education.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Somewhat seriously, the education stats improved enormously after the steel bust, thanks in part to this no longer being a place where there were lots of good jobs for people without much education.
So now we have educated people out of work.

I'd gladly put up with more "yinzers" if we had our industrial base back in this area.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 AM

226 posts, read 588,674 times
Quote:

I'd gladly put up with more "yinzers" if we had our industrial base back in this area.
Sincere question: in what ways would having the old industrial base "back" be an improvement over the current situation? Better services? Cleaner/safer environment? More/better economic health? I'm not seeing it, but you may have something else in mind...

Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Yes and no. The recession has affected all groups, but educated people are still at much lower levels of unemployment. Courtesy of Calculated Risk, see here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pMscxxELHE...tEducation.jpg

Indeed, I suspect the relatively high education levels and relatively low unemployment levels in Pittsburgh are related (although of course other factors, like the lack of a local housing bubble, are also crucial).

Quote:
This is just an aside, but thanks to productivity gains through things like automation, modern industrial firms tend to employ a lot fewer people than they used to--although the jobs that remain are very good jobs, and these firms tend to support other local firms (in part thanks to less integration and more "outsourcing" of non-core functions). In fact there is still quite a bit of industrial manufacturing going on in Pittsburgh: it just doesn't employ that many people directly. Which is not to say I wouldn't like to see even more of that going on in the region--again, the jobs they bring are good jobs, and the firms support other firms.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 AM

How many threads are started here asking if an area is "safe"?

The reason there are now so many declining areas is the lack of good paying jobs performed by manual/skilled labor. I had a few high school buddies that couldn't wait to graduate to get to either Westinghouse or US Steel to start making good money. Some went into the apprentice machinist program and had a bright future. Maybe they couldn't quote Shakespeare, but they could run a lathe in a machine shop and make enough to support a family. Where would those guys go now? 7-11 working the slurpy machine?

I'm just saying, every time I hear great news about a new mall, art gallery, or restaurant opening, I think, wow, about 10 people are making good money, the rest are minimum wage.

You can make an argument that Pgh has done well since the steel decline, but only for the educated. But how many jobs are available for those without an education. How about all the other steel/manufacturing towns up and down the rivers that will NEVER recover?

My home town is now over run with Section 8 housing, drugs, and white trash. Back in the day, we were low middle class, but everyone worked cuz there were jobs available.

Ah, never mind. Just my own little rant.

Last edited by Copanut; 12-29-2009 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: pour spilling an at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh