Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 05:36 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,631,148 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine said she heard that they want to develop another lifestyle center (like the Waterfront) on the old Carrie Furnace site in Rankin/Braddock (not sure which neighborhood it's in.) Anyone heard any truth to this? If it is true, I guess it could be good for the community, but the crime rate is already high in Bradock, I'm not sure if it would work. Maybe if more artists would discover Braddock it could be the next big thing (like what could be going on in Lawrenceville or Garfield.)

(Sorry to ramble )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Last I knew the County owned the land, and was in the final stages of environmental cleanup and running in water, sewer, and storm drains. After that they plan to market it to developers, around mid-2010. I believe they are thinking more South Side Works than Waterfront, meaning more residential/office/tech park than retail.

I think the site actually straddles all of Pittsburgh, Swissvale, and Rankin, but really it is its own thing. I think part of the plan is to reopen a hot metal bridge across the river (ala the Hot Metal Bridge to South Side Works), and also connect it by trail to Duck Hollow, and from there to Frick Park and Downtown. They also want to build a flyover to the newly-renovated Rankin Bridge. They are trying to get stimulus money to fund all that.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:50 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Last I knew the County owned the land, and was in the final stages of environmental cleanup and running in water, sewer, and storm drains. After that they plan to market it to developers, around mid-2010. I believe they are thinking more South Side Works than Waterfront, meaning more residential/office/tech park than retail.

I think the site actually straddles all of Pittsburgh, Swissvale, and Rankin, but really it is its own thing. I think part of the plan is to reopen a hot metal bridge across the river (ala the Hot Metal Bridge to South Side Works), and also connect it by trail to Duck Hollow, and from there to Frick Park and Downtown. They also want to build a flyover to the newly-renovated Rankin Bridge. They are trying to get stimulus money to fund all that.

Sounds too good to be true..

Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
If it is true, I guess it could be good for the community, but the crime rate is already high in Bradock, I'm not sure if it would work.
That is exactly what people said when hearing about plans for The Waterfront in Homestead.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
Sounds too good to be true.
It is a great vision. The immediate question is whether they will get stimulus funding for the big road and bridge projects--and they might, because this fits right into what the stimulus money is supposed to be going for. The longer term question is whether they can sell the land to a developer who shares the vision and has the funding to make it work. I have no idea, but it doesn't seem implausible to me: this is a good location, so if the County isn't looking to make a killing on the sale, why not?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i heard at some point that they were actually going to preserve the furnace. am i totally off?

i have fond memories of sneaking in there and climbing around on the furnace, but they've ramped up security in recent years.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i heard at some point that they were actually going to preserve the furnace. am i totally off?
Nope, you are right. It is already a National Historic Landmark, and they have talked about turning it into some sort of museum/exhibit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh