Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:33 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,914 times

Advertisements

so, is this place still up and operating? I came about this thread via searching to see if Mexican coke is up and selling in Pittsburgh, and via that thread I found this. Kind of wonder if the mentality of locals there are still the same (in terms how they view latinos) or have they changed since?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I came about this thread via searching to see if Mexican coke is up and selling in Pittsburgh
I had some tonight at Casa Reyna. I've seen it in the past at Market District.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:15 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,880,844 times
I've seen Mexican coke around quite a few places for awhile. I'm not really a fan though.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 PM

36 posts, read 46,252 times
I just moved here here from Chicago a month ago. Reyes is very disappointing. There is a Mexican grocery that has a taco stand in front. I think it is considered to be in Beechview. The tacos were very good. The grocery store again disappointing. Yes... I'm used to the large Hispanic groceries too. And reasonably priced ones. Pittsburgh is overpriced in the ethnic foods division completely. Again, disappointing.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I've seen Mexican coke around quite a few places for awhile. I'm not really a fan though.

I prefer sugar cane based pepsi over American pepsi. also prefer sugar cane coke vs American coke because its smoother imo.

but back on topic: is this place still open?

Old 05-07-2014, 04:14 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,366 times
Quote:
I prefer sugar cane based pepsi over American pepsi. also prefer sugar cane coke vs American coke because its smoother imo.

but back on topic: is this place still open?
Las Palmas is still open. They have a second location on Atwood in Oakland. I go there for lunch all the time

Old 05-07-2014, 04:59 AM

36 posts, read 46,252 times
The article doesn't open for me but just for a second. It looks like the place I was at last weekend. I can say their taco stand outside the store was very good. There is also a Mediterranean store next down the street. I actually liked this area of Brookline.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
Yes it is still open and there is almost always still a line at the taco stand outfront.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:48 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,529 times
Quote:
so, is this place still up and operating? I came about this thread via searching to see if Mexican coke is up and selling in Pittsburgh, and via that thread I found this. Kind of wonder if the mentality of locals there are still the same (in terms how they view latinos) or have they changed since?
Yes, it's still open and they actually have 3 locations now (Brookline, Beechview, Oakland). Still the best tacos and I always get a big smile when I order in (terrible) Spanish.

But I have to ask, do you really think this area has a problem with latinos? My grandfather moved here in the 60's from Ponce and he was loved by his neighbors, even back then. Outside of rural areas and sometimes the workplace my father has never had a problem either. As for myself, I look "too white" to Americans to be considered "latino" (even though I am) but I have been mistaken for Middle Eastern at times.

Are you mistaking the idea of Pittsburghers not liking latinos with the overall vibe of Pittsburghers just being their unfriendly selves?

Old 05-08-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Yes, it's still open and they actually have 3 locations now (Brookline, Beechview, Oakland). Still the best tacos and I always get a big smile when I order in (terrible) Spanish.

But I have to ask, do you really think this area has a problem with latinos? My grandfather moved here in the 60's from Ponce and he was loved by his neighbors, even back then. Outside of rural areas and sometimes the workplace my father has never had a problem either. As for myself, I look "too white" to Americans to be considered "latino" (even though I am) but I have been mistaken for Middle Eastern at times.

Are you mistaking the idea of Pittsburghers not liking latinos with the overall vibe of Pittsburghers just being their unfriendly selves?

I was curious how and if things changed since the OP of this thread posted. im not sure to be honest if there is a difference between being unfriendly overall and a disdain for Hispanics in this city. im just noting what I see and experience within one sector of the city, which just happens to be the most progressive area of the city.

maybe its a combination as both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh