Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,741 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are considering building within the next several years. We'd like to avoid the "mass" builders (Ryan, Heartland, etc.), but I'm struggling to track down names (and even reviews, if possible!) of local home builders. All the lists I find (like the one on BAMP's website) have the "big guys" sprinkled in. How do I tell which builders are not "mass builders" (for lack of a better term)? And how do I figure out what kind of work they do (short of cold-calling former customers)? I've already searched the forum...perhaps I'm just typing in the wrong keywords. Can anyone help? We're new to this process (currently living in a 111-year-old beauty that we love, but it just doesn't meet our family needs right now), so any help/direction is much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I would bet that you need to let us know where you intend to build and it would be easier to go from there. For example, John Hobart Miller is big builder in the Fox Chapel Area. He has a quite a few lots tied up there.

If you look at the lot listings on Howard Hanna they sometimes state the name of the builder that owns the lot.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
It's difficult to recommend a builder just because there are so many to choose from, not to mention each area of town has different builders. What area of Pittsburgh are you looking into building?

Old 12-31-2009, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,741 times
Thanks for the responses. Not 100% sure of the area yet, but Murrysville/Plum are high on the list. Fox Chapel would be nice, but I'm afraid new construction in that area would be out of our price range. We're probably looking $350K max--maybe I'm being unrealistic hoping to do a 4 BR/2.5 BA new home in that price range.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadele77 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Not 100% sure of the area yet, but Murrysville/Plum are high on the list. Fox Chapel would be nice, but I'm afraid new construction in that area would be out of our price range. We're probably looking $350K max--maybe I'm being unrealistic hoping to do a 4 BR/2.5 BA new home in that price range.
Local Home Builders covering Irwin, PA

These are some of the builders that you can find in the Murrysville/Plum areas. There's also some builders included that are based in the Monroeville, Irwin and Greensburg areas. I shall add a few more not on the list including Pellis Construction, Rob Shuster, Regis Pisone Homes, Scalise Construction, Wayne Homes, Hovanian Homes, Schumacher Homes, etc. I believe they serve all of Westmoreland County and perhaps even Plum.

For that price range, you should be able to do a 4BR, 2.5BA home.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:08 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Westmoreland Professional Builders Association

This site lists many local custom home builders. The member directory provides a link to each developer's website. There is also a list of spec homes that are currently on the market.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadele77 View Post
My husband & I are considering building within the next several years. We'd like to avoid the "mass" builders (Ryan, Heartland, etc.), but I'm struggling to track down names (and even reviews, if possible!) of local home builders. All the lists I find (like the one on BAMP's website) have the "big guys" sprinkled in. How do I tell which builders are not "mass builders" (for lack of a better term)? And how do I figure out what kind of work they do (short of cold-calling former customers)? I've already searched the forum...perhaps I'm just typing in the wrong keywords. Can anyone help? We're new to this process (currently living in a 111-year-old beauty that we love, but it just doesn't meet our family needs right now), so any help/direction is much appreciated. Thanks!
Unless you're going to pay cash, you'll have to finance this with a construction loan. Go through a local bank for loan info, and ask them. Back when I was in banking we used to work hand in hand with the general contractors, and if they went screwy, we avoided them...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 14,683 times
I've been looking to buy a recently built home. I've seen quite a few, and the top two builders from what I've seen, in my opinion, would be R K Parry & Bob Shuster. These homes had high quality finish, and the R K Parry homes, in particular, had a very high level of customization (you didn't see the same home over and over on the street).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh