Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanukook View Post
You forget, I have contacts there -- one of whom works for the water company. You are seriously deluded and should check your facts before you put wild things out on the Internet.
I think you should lighten up with the personal attacks.

If you drove often around the Pittsburgh area in Allegheny County, you would know you lose cell phone coverage near many of the water treatment facilities regardless of which cell phone carrier you use. It's not all water treatment plants, but there are enough around the county for it to be notable to people who travel throughout various townships in all areas of the county on a regular basis.

Since the water in the area is processed by various municipalities, not one specific 'water company,' your relative can't possibly have first hand knowledge of them all. Plus, I highly doubt you've had a conversation about this topic with your Butler relatives. How would such a topic come up in prior conversations? LOL Furthermore, you couldn't possibly have driven around the Pittsburgh area in Allegheny County enough in recent years to have knowledge about this one way or another.

Your post is nothing but a personal attack. When are you going to get over the fact I didn't highly recommend Butler recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 05:07 PM

Straight from the Environmental Protection Agency.

Water and Wastewater Security Guide

EPA - Water Security - Security Product Guide - Hard wired Voice and Data Communications

Now I know why scramblers are used: to prevent easedroppers, access to data, etc.

I can dig further to find info specifically for digitial scramblers, but I think I've provided enough proof that water treatment plants scramble signals as part of security.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

If you drove often around the Pittsburgh area in Allegheny County, you would know you lose cell phone coverage near many of the water treatment facilities regardless of which cell phone carrier you use. It's not all water treatment plants, but there are enough around the county for it to be notable to people who travel throughout various townships in all areas of the county on a regular basis.

Since the water in the area is processed by various municipalities, not one specific 'water company,' your relative can't possibly have first hand knowledge of them all. Plus, I highly doubt you've had a conversation about this topic with your Butler relatives. How would such a topic come up in prior conversations? LOL Furthermore, you couldn't possibly have driven around the Pittsburgh area in Allegheny County enough in recent years to have knowledge about this one way or another.

Your post is nothing but a personal attack. When are you going to get over the fact I didn't highly recommend Butler recently?

It's funny, I've noticed that when people on CD get called for slinging bull**** they almost invariably revert to claiming a response is a personal attack.

One of the many hats that I wear is Emergency Planning. I've never heard of water suppliers installing "blocking devices" in their facilities although school systems are now considering their installion. If any area would have those devices one would imagine it would be the DC area, where I now am.
The reality may be more in line with concrete and steel structures (which is what water treatment plants are made of) will block many cell signals so that may play a part.
Next time you're near a water tower count the antannae on it, most are using leased space on the tower at up to $60K/year/antenna.

You do know the difference between hard wired and wireless per your link, don't you.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-02-2010 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's funny, I've noticed that when people on CD get called for slinging bull**** they almost invariably revert to claiming a response is a personal attack.
It's a personal attack to say someone is deluded.

Quote:
You do know the difference between hard wired and wireless per your link, don't you.
Yes I do. That's why I posted the EPA link to show it's not a stretch they would secure the airways too.

That's what I found quickly. I'm not going to research it all night. The burden of proof isn't mine. If it's important to anyone, they should prove otherwise.

Quote:
I've never heard of water suppliers installing "blocking devices" in their facilities although school systems are now considering their installion. If any area would have those devices one would imagine it would be the DC area, where I now am.
So you're not familiar with driving around large areas of Allegheny County on a regular basis in recent years.

And you're making assumptions that DC would be the first area to use scramblers for water treatment plants.

Quote:
The reality may be more in line with concrete and steel structures (which is what water treatment plants are made of) will block many cell signals so that may play a part.
I drive around and near steel and concrete structures all the time without losing a signal; however, there are specific water treatment facilities where signals are always lost.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM

30 posts, read 76,510 times
Quote:

Disagreeing with you does not constitute a personal attack. Please reference this link to understand what I said - Deluded Definition | Definition of Deluded at Dictionary.com

There are many reasons for possible loss of cell phone service in certain areas -- topography, carrier issues, building composition, etc. Saying that your loss of cell phone service when you drive past random water treatment facilities is because they scramble your signals is like saying that it rains on Tuesday because you washed your car on Monday. The logic is faulty.

Since the water in the area is processed by various municipalities, not one specific 'water company,' your relative can't possibly have first hand knowledge of them all.

Utilities such as water treatment plants conduct their operations according to established protocols. Operators in such plants attend training and must be licensed to operate the equipment. Established protocols are standardized around the country and thus will be relatively the same from plant to plant.

Plus, I highly doubt you've had a conversation about this topic with your Butler relatives. How would such a topic come up in prior conversations?

Technology is a wonderful thing. So is email and the telephone. We actually have discussed this issue and, within the past 10 days, sparked by a drive past Oneida Valley dam.

LOL Furthermore, you couldn't possibly have driven around the Pittsburgh area in Allegheny County enough in recent years to have knowledge about this one way or another.

I wasn't aware that you knew me, my family, my driving habits, or my itinerary whenever I go back home. If you did, you would know exactly how often I go home, where I go, who I talk to and other items in that vein. Since you don't know any of the above, your above statement is an assumption or a lie.

see below for a response to this....

When you portray yourself as an expert on something as you have done in your post, you must expect that there will be times where someone will disagree with you about something that you post. Disagreement is not a personal attack.

You are telling people that our municipal water authorities scramble cell phone calls. By doing this, not only are you putting something out there that is not true, you are contributing to people's paranoia levels concerning terrorist attacks. That is an unconscionable thing to do in this day and age. Yes they take certain precautions and have since 9/11. Scrambling cell phones to prevent bombings does not happen to be one of them (although it did make a great plot line for an episode of NCIS).

Old 01-02-2010, 05:52 PM

I didn't have to look far.

Here's wireless security:

EPA - Water Security - Security Product Guide - Wireless Data Communications

There's a lot of other information.

EPA - Water Security - Security Product Guide - Table of Contents

Go fish around if you feel inclined.

Given the information, it's not a stretch that some water treatment facilities would chose to scramble remove signals and cell phones.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
It's a personal attack to say someone is deluded.

Yes I do. That's why I posted the EPA link to show it's not a stretch they would secure the airways too.

That's what I found quickly. I'm not going to research it all night. The burden of proof isn't mine. If it's important to anyone, they should prove otherwise.

So you're not familiar with driving around large areas of Allegheny County on a regular basis in recent years.

And you're making assumptions that DC would be the first area to use scramblers for water treatment plants.

I drive around and near steel and concrete structures all the time without losing a signal; however, there are specific water treatment facilities where signals are always lost.

Your EPA link proves nothing except protocols for securing landlines, for conspiracies you need to switch over to Politics and Other Controversies, you'll fit right in.
You ASSume that I don't drive around the greater Pittsburgh area. You have no idea how often I'm in the area (actually about once a month, oftentimes more) nor what I'm doing while there.
My assumption on DC is based on meetings, planning conferences and emergency planning training sessions and simulations I've attended or been a part of, which are also attended by people from around the country.

By the way, if you think Kanukook launched a personal attack report him/her to a moderator.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
When you portray yourself as an expert on something as you have done in your post, you must expect that there will be times where someone will disagree with you about something that you post. Disagreement is not a personal attack.
I never promoted myself as an expert.

I merely shared my experience, made a joke, and then clarified that I wasn't being a paranoid conspiracy therorist in another joking manner.

I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor. There's nothing I can do about that.

Quote:
That is an unconscionable thing to do in this day and age. Yes they take certain precautions and have since 9/11. Scrambling cell phones to prevent bombings does not happen to be one of them (although it did make a great plot line for an episode of NCIS).
That's not true. The government does scramble cell phones around certain facilities.

I never said it was done to prevent bombings. I made it clear I didn't know why the cell phones were scrambled near water treatment plants.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Your EPA link proves nothing except protocols for securing landlines,
I guess you missed the second link about wireless security.

Quote:
...for conspiracies you need to switch over to Politics and Other Controversies, you'll fit right in.
It's not a conspiracy therory to acknowledge that cell phone coverage is lost near water treatment plants and to speculate that it's for security measures.

Reading all the security measures surrounding communications and data at the water treatment facilities, it's not a stretch of the imagination at all.

I made a joke. Big deal.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:09 PM

30 posts, read 76,510 times
Quote:
Verizon has the best coverage. Hands down.

Ever notice that cell phones drop calls near water treatment plants. Makes me wonder what they're doing to our water.

(Yeah, that was a joke. I know why we lose calls near water treatment plants. )
(see above) -- here's where you set yourself up as an expert with the italicized use of "know"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I don't know why you lose service near water treatment plants....... fill me in!
Quote:
They have scramblers/jammers at water treatment plants here. Not sure why. I doubt anyone would bomb a water treatment facility.
(see above) --- here's where you talk about bombing water plants

Quote:
You're joking aren't you?
(see above) --- here's your chance to explain that yes, you're joking

Quote:
Perhaps you don't know there are scramblers/jammers at many of the water treatment facilities in the Pittsburgh area. Afterall, you don't live here.
(see above) -- here's your response to the joking question.

Quote:
I never promoted myself as an expert.

I merely shared my experience, made a joke, and then clarified that I wasn't being a paranoid conspiracy therorist in another joking manner.

I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor. There's nothing I can do about that.

That's not true. The government does scramble cell phones around certain facilities.

I never said it was done to prevent bombings. I made it clear I didn't know why the cell phones were scrambled near water treatment plants.
Somehow or other your "joking manner" isn't coming through in your posts. Since this forum doesn't have the variety of smiley icons that exist on some of the other forums that I'm on, perhaps you might want to do as I do and do an auxiliary search on the 'net for additional emoticons that would clarify your meaning in a more accurate manner. It really does help the communication effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh