Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:21 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It should also be noted that ALL spiders are venomous
I tried really hard not to say anything and just leave this go... but I couldn't. There are non-venomous spiders - the spider families of Uloboridae and Holarchaeidae are completely without venom sacs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 02:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The only critter in PA thats dangerous, IMO, is the timber rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus), of which there are many.
Yet, many of us who have lived here our entire lives have never seen a rattlesnake. Even most of us who are avid hunters, campers and hikers have never seen them.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:42 PM

77 posts, read 286,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofsc View Post
How about those creepy banana spiders? They are black with a yellow mark on their back. They are so named b/c they arrived in this country via banana boxes - I'm told. My exterminator says they are poisonous but gentle and the venom is only a threat to children and the elderly. They get huge and each morning in the summer, I see new webs hanging betweens the limbs of trees and my house. I can handle roaches - they are gross, but not scary. Giant spiders hanging in the trees freaks me out however. I know - they eat bugs so they are good, yada, yada, yada... Still freaks me out.
Banana spiders are only found in the coastal Southeast area of the United States. Finding a banana spider in Pittsburgh would be like finding a hippopotamus in the Allegheny River.

More info on banana spiders can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_silk_orb-weaver

I've lived a few places in the US (but never the coastal Southeast), and I have never seen a banana spider before (thank God...they are kinda creepy)!

Old 05-23-2007, 02:44 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
Yet, many of us who have lived here our entire lives have never seen a rattlesnake
I've never seen one. The only thing I've ever seen in all my years here that was "remotely dangerous" was a single black widow spider.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:25 PM

38 posts, read 188,483 times
Thanks for all the info - can you tell I have a touch of arachnophobia? I thought perhaps banana spiders thrived in the south but figured that bananas get shipped everywhere so maybe they had adapted to life in the burgh. :-)

Snakes don't bother me as much as bats and spiders. I know bats are super beneficial to have in your yard but when they buzz my ear at night - I flip out. I know, I know - they only buzz your ear to eat the mosquito next to it but still.... Thanks for the info. Sounds like professional quarterly pest control may be an expense I can forgo when we move.

Now a question about termites - does PA require a CL100 letter before securing a mortgage. This may be a secondary market regulation and not one that is left up to each state... In your experiences, do most homeowners get and keep a termite bond on their homes? In SC, 3 out of our 4 homes we've purchased did not have a termite bond. Each passed inspection and we promptly got a bond on each home. Any thoughts???

Old 05-23-2007, 05:30 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yet, many of us who have lived here our entire lives have never seen a rattlesnake. Even most of us who are avid hunters, campers and hikers have never seen them.
My aunt lives in the mountains of PA, and she had this one leaning over tree with rough bark that was SO creepy..... it had stuff hanging off the branches and it scared me when I was little and I told my mom I wouldn't stay at my aunt's because the scary tree would come after me...

As I got older, I found out what it was -- the bark made it perfect for snakes shedding their skins.... they'd wind their way up the tree bark.... and go to the low branches and fall out -- leaving their shed skins on tree...

After I found out what it was, I wasn't scared anymore...

Old 05-23-2007, 07:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I tried really hard not to say anything and just leave this go... but I couldn't. There are non-venomous spiders - the spider families of Uloboridae and Holarchaeidae are completely without venom sacs.
With the super rare exception of course... Those families are probably not in the USA Id imagine, they dont look familiar to me whatsoever. Whats their range (without getting too off-topic)?

Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I wonder how many snakes have seen you? Youd be hard-pressed to see one even if you were almost standing on top of it. If you went to their prime habitat and actually looked for them, youd uncover lots.

Find the snake (and yes, there ARE snakes in these images). Unless you keep a constant and close eye, youre not going to see the rattlers :
http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libr...4195?offset=15

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libr...4175?offset=13

http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libr...4173?offset=11

Old 05-24-2007, 08:39 AM

255 posts, read 1,094,209 times
Talking My wife was bitten by a snake once

A trouser snake.

And she's been with me ever since.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:50 AM

38 posts, read 188,483 times
Argh......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh