Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

North Park is largest place that is convenient for Mars. While there are trails, most people run on the asphalt of the road that goes around the lake. It's 18 minutes away---give for take depending on how fast you drive.

Hartwood Acres and Deer Lakes Park are both great places with wide soft surface trails winding through the woods, but they are about 30 minutes away from Mars.

There are smaller parks within 10 minutes that have some hiking trails, such as Cranberry Park and Richland Community Park. You'd have to check them out to see if the trails are long enough to be worth your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Or even try and rent a small house in Hampton, which isn't that far from Mars I bet.
Excellent suggestion. Hartwood Acres is in Hampton. I didn't realize he was looking for a place to live. I thought he was already planning to live in Mars.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Excellent suggestion. Hartwood Acres is in Hampton. I didn't realize he was looking for a place to live. I thought he was already planning to live in Mars.
From what I can tell he's going to be working in Mars and is trying to find a place to live that's near a good place to run but within 30 min drive of Mars.

The only other thing I would say is don't discount the value of a shorter commute if you start looking at places at or beyond that 30 minute range. I made some choices with longer commutes, then my priorities shifted and I wish I had a shorter commute. May not be as big of a deal if you're still going to rent, but it's something to keep in mind.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:17 PM

125 posts, read 282,169 times
What about Zelienople or Harmony, both have nice downtowns with sidewalks conductive for jogging and I am sure there are parks nearby.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I made some choices with longer commutes, then my priorities shifted and I wish I had a shorter commute.
So Cranberry isn't 'all that' for you afterall, huh?

Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So Cranberry isn't 'all that' for you afterall, huh?
I don't believe I ever claimed that it was. Plus, although it provides the easiest reference point for explaining where I do live, I don't actually live there. It is simply the nearest useful shopping area to my house. I think the old timers in my area tend to keep all their business in Beaver County, even though for certain things this is farther away or less useful. (I'd love to support the Giant Eagle in the Northern Lights plaza, which is actually in Economy Borough where I live, but it's too small, old and useless when the one in Cranberry is about the same distance and more useful. I get my hair cut in Northern Lights plaza. ) The neighbor on one side of me is the original owner of his house from 1982 or 1983. I'm one of those feriners who doesn't obey the old traditions.

I try to give useful info for the topic at hand, and I will defend against the common perception that these distances and drive times (such as Cranberry-downtown) are longer than they really are, but I haven't hidden the fact that after 6 years of living in the sticks plus additional input from the other member of my household (not involved in the original house purchase) I am ready to try some urban living again. I actually lived downtown when I first moved here, for several years. Back then it wasn't that interesting, I was always going out to the suburbs for something anyway, and while I tried for about 10 months to live in Mt Washington I eventually moved to Emsworth along Rt 65. (It's the next town after Ben Avon.) After 5 years of that I bought the house in Beaver County because I thought I liked the closer to rural setting vs some of the others in my price range that I looked at, and it was near the places I was commonly going anyway, Cranberry and parts of northwestern Allegheny County, without being in the middle of the commercial stuff. I'm happy I didn't buy one of the farther away houses I looked at!

Thus, I pass along my experience. When I bought the house, the commute didn't seem like a big deal to me. After 6 years, priorities have changed, even though I never imagined that they would. So it's something to consider at least before buying. For me, I'm thinking the house needs a bit of this and that if I don't want to take a bath on it, but I am picky. Perhaps I will get an opinion on selling it this year.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
The neighbor on one side of me is the original owner of his house from 1982 or 1983. I'm one of those feriners who doesn't obey the old traditions.
That's a fairly new house by Pittsburgh standards!

Quote:
Thus, I pass along my experience. When I bought the house, the commute didn't seem like a big deal to me. After 6 years, priorities have changed, even though I never imagined that they would.
No need for a dissertation. I know you know I was TEASING you! (Kanukook said smilies helped people understand that! LOL)

Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM

Long-winded is my middle name. I think it's interesting to know how people come to choose places and how they come to be unhappy with the choices, so I took the opportunity to share my own.

The new-ish house (mine is the same vintage) definitely has its ups and downs. It didn't need any electrical renovation, for example, that was nice. And it has good windows and really good insulation. But it's just old enough at 27 years (and cheap enough originally) that it really could use some kitchen work. I already ended up doing a new furnace a couple years ago. And it has the original roof. I keep stretching that another year and stretching it another year. Probably next summer. Plus, one of the previous owners built a deck out of mostly untreated lumber. I guess they thought painting it would be enough? That's the first thing that's getting done in the spring.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
The new-ish house (mine is the same vintage) definitely has its ups and downs. It didn't need any electrical renovation, for example, that was nice. And it has good windows and really good insulation. But it's just old enough at 27 years (and cheap enough originally) that it really could use some kitchen work. I already ended up doing a new furnace a couple years ago. And it has the original roof. I keep stretching that another year and stretching it another year. Probably next summer. Plus, one of the previous owners built a deck out of mostly untreated lumber. I guess they thought painting it would be enough? That's the first thing that's getting done in the spring.
If you can do the kitchen yourself, you'll save a forutune and it will help with resale. How handy are you?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
If you can do the kitchen yourself, you'll save a forutune and it will help with resale. How handy are you?
Reasonably, and getting better. I'm thinking about doing some kitchen stuff myself. (Deck I'm definitely going to try myself, although probably my dad will help.) But let's not derail this thread any further. Somehow we got to this from jogging areas, and it's my fault really with my long-winded rambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh