Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingIn2010 View Post
How funny. We're probably moving to the Pittsburgh area from Grapevine, TX, sometime later this year. We've already leased our Barnett Shale rights here in TX, so I guess we need to get up there and buy some property so we can do the same with the Marcellus Shale!!
really? jeez, there are alot of texans moving up here...i came from arlington, texas...home of the greatest football team ever, the Dallas Cowboys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
really? jeez, there are alot of texans moving up here...i came from arlington, texas...home of the greatest football team ever, the Dallas Cowboys.

I believe you guys only have 5 Rings. And until this year, haven't won a playoff game for 15 years.

correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Many land sales up here don't include the mineral rights so make sure you do your research.
Good advice. At best, most land owners get free or reduced rates for heating their buildings on the property. (I've read more than my share of land leases.) It has more to do with compensation for allowing the company to drill since most land owners don't own the mineral rights. Granted, this new rush has definitely increased the compensation and negotiating power of land owners. Since oil was first discovered in Pennsylvania, many of the mineral rights were separated from the land long ago. Personally, I'd invest my money directing into a drilling project instead of buying the land.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Here's a newspaper article about Pennsylvania's mineral rights being separated and how it pertains to surface property owners.

Mineral rights give gas drillers free rein

Old 01-14-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I believe you guys only have 5 Rings. And until this year, haven't won a playoff game for 15 years.

correct me if I'm wrong.
okay okay...but the Cowboys are still America's Team, that being said, if you're an American, you're a fan of the Cowboys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Good advice. At best, most land owners get free or reduced rates for heating their buildings on the property. (I've read more than my share of land leases.) It has more to do with compensation for allowing the company to drill since most land owners don't own the mineral rights. Granted, this new rush has definitely increased the compensation and negotiating power of land owners. Since oil was first discovered in Pennsylvania, many of the mineral rights were separated from the land long ago. Personally, I'd invest my money directing into a drilling project instead of buying the land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's a newspaper article about Pennsylvania's mineral rights being separated and how it pertains to surface property owners.

Mineral rights give gas drillers free rein
truly, when buying any property in PA, whether it's a residential lot or acreage in the country, you would have to do a title search on the property to really know who owns the minerals...unless on your deed it clearly states that the Grantor is RESERVING all oil and gas, and other minerals.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
okay okay...but the Cowboys are still America's Team, that being said, if you're an American, you're a fan of the Cowboys!

Seriousley, do you tease your hair aka the 80's, cuz that might be the only time the Cowboys mattered.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
truly, when buying any property in PA, whether it's a residential lot or acreage in the country, you would have to do a title search on the property to really know who owns the minerals...unless on your deed it clearly states that the Grantor is RESERVING all oil and gas, and other minerals.
Of course. Our discussion was to make people aware that mineral rights don't normally go with the surface rights in Pennsylvania.

It would be sad to see Texans running up here to buy land with the assumption that it will be easy to find the mineral rights that aren't separated from the surface rights.

That's how MovingIn2010's post sounded----like she just assumed it was easy to buy property with mineral rights in Pennsylvania.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 PM

9 posts, read 41,747 times
It was a joke. Wasn't looking for a legal debate. We're moving to Pittsburgh for other reasons...

Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Seriousley, do you tease your hair aka the 80's, cuz that might be the only time the Cowboys mattered.

yep, no....

seriously though, apologies to the OP, didn't mean to hijack the thread...good luck with the move!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Moving....
We now live in Keller! lived in Peters for 10 years though.

on the housing front...in the Pittsburgh area make sure you get Mine subsidence insurance. Your insurance compnay doesn't cover it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh