Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:40 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times

Advertisements

I wish there were about 50 more of me, so I could buy houses and live in all of Pittsburgh's and the region's depressed but historic communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,551 times
Thanks for your thoughts on my Father.

If your willing to put in the effort there may still be hope for Esplen. Only problem is I think that the powers that be, have plans for that area.

Housing is dirt cheap there, my Dad's neighbors house sold for 15k. My dads house sold for 10k (but it was worth around 30) according to the appraisal. (that's another story), A house flipper got it, and will probably sit on it until what ever happens happens.

I know there are a lot of rentals in the neighborhood, but that is part of the problem, they are mostly absent landlords who do not keep the property up.

Good luck all.

Robert

Old 01-08-2016, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,551 times
Default Esplen Rezoned

The Dream is apparently finally happening.

After my fathers death, I had his mail forwarded to me in Colorado. Just got a notification in the mail that the City of Pittsburgh is rezoning Esplen from Light Industry to Residential

Robert

Old 01-08-2016, 05:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millergrobert View Post
The Dream is apparently finally happening.

After my fathers death, I had his mail forwarded to me in Colorado. Just got a notification in the mail that the City of Pittsburgh is rezoning Esplen from Light Industry to Residential

Robert
Its not just Esplen. I live in L'ville and received the same piece of paper, the city is starting a zoning initiative called the "Riverfront Interim Planning Overlay District", and apparently all property owners in relative proximity to the rivers got it.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,300 times
Exclamation Update Jan. 31, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its not just Esplen. I live in L'ville and received the same piece of paper, the city is starting a zoning initiative called the "Riverfront Interim Planning Overlay District", and apparently all property owners in relative proximity to the rivers got it.

The "Riverfront Interim Planning Overlay District" is a temporary re-zoning from business/commercial to business/residential/public use. The city has river-front plans that include bike/walking trail along the river (I don't how the hell you'd get to it) and a development in lower Esplen towards Chartiers Creek.

West Carson St. is under-going a complete reconstruction from Stanhope St. (by the creek) all the way to the West End Circle. Water/ sewer/electric/gas lines replaced, via-duct by the CSX bridge replaced, old pavement torn up all the way down to dirt and repaved with concrete. Scheduled completion date, fall 2016. Oh, btw, the old, rusty but, ornate iron railing that ran along the tracks from West End to Stanhope is GONE!

Old 02-01-2016, 04:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJRum View Post
Oh, btw, the old, rusty but, ornate iron railing that ran along the tracks from West End to Stanhope is GONE!
Such a crime. All it needed was someone to sand and paint it.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I loved that church. I wanted to buy it. I'm sad to report that it was demolished by the city earlier this year.
The church actually collapsed due to age/neglect. From what my father told me, it used to have a bell that blew off in a storm.

Our family went there until it closed.

The city did come in after the collapse and clean it up.

I loved growing up in Esplen and would live there now if I hadn't moved to the DC are over 40 years ago.

The house across from the church was my grandparents and from what I understand, it is up for sheriff's sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I wouldn't encourage your father to leave. While Esplen has seen better days, it has more character than a lot of other places, in my opinion. Good for him for not giving up on his community.

Coincidentally, I almost bought a house on Radcliffe before I decided on the one I bought in Stowe.
Sadly our father didn't leave Esplen. He never wanted too. He died in the same house our mom did, and I think that is what he wanted.
--
The city appraised the house at $42K sight unseen, and dad later had it lowered to $30K. As I'm sure you know, you can only get what someone will pay, especially when you visit the area and see the decay.

I was t he only one that wanted the house and would have moved in except we have commitments in the area we live in.

I sold it for $10k rather than let it sit empty to be vandalized or rented to Section 8. Also discovered you cannot insure an empty house.

It was sold to family friends, who are in fact flippers; however, they want it for a family home and have already made improvements. I would rather see it sold to someone who cares about it and will take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergrobert View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on my Father.

If your willing to put in the effort there may still be hope for Esplen. Only problem is I think that the powers that be, have plans for that area.

Housing is dirt cheap there, my Dad's neighbors house sold for 15k. My dads house sold for 10k (but it was worth around 30) according to the appraisal. (that's another story), A house flipper got it, and will probably sit on it until what ever happens happens.

I know there are a lot of rentals in the neighborhood, but that is part of the problem, they are mostly absent landlords who do not keep the property up.

Good luck all.

Robert

Yup, that's definitely another story

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2016 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh