Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I think it has more to do with how everything costs about 20% more than it does in areas where people have more choices.
Giant Eagle sort of has the same model as the banking industry except on a smaller scale. They kept expanding and pushing others out, until that had the market share where they wanted it. Then they raised the prices knowing people don't change or hate changing and they have such a dominants. The gouging that goes on at Giant Eagle is pretty amazing they don't have more competition around here. I have no idea how all those poor people that shop at the one in the Water Works can afford it? Guess that is why they are so poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 03:50 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,499,336 times
Yesterday I eneterd GE to buy bread and I was astonished to see the prices. Holly cow! I shop on the strip amd to be honest i prefer to buy the crusty bread from pensylvania macaroni or to venture a bit north and get the baguette from Chatellier. GE is just horrendous!

Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Yesterday I eneterd GE to buy bread and I was astonished to see the prices. Holly cow! I shop on the strip amd to be honest i prefer to buy the crusty bread from pensylvania macaroni or to venture a bit north and get the baguette from Chatellier. GE is just horrendous!
Giant Eagle is genius when it comes to extracting as much money as they can from the Pittsburgh people. They know the threshold perfectly and make people feel like those gas rewards make some big difference. Too funny. I just thank goodness for TJ's, the Strip and Whole Foods. I would hate to be forced into Giant E. That would be horrible.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:33 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,678,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Giant Eagle is genius when it comes to extracting as much money as they can from the Pittsburgh people. They know the threshold perfectly
Well that's pretty much the definition of market pricing. For a guy that often touts the benefits of the free market, you need to believe that it produces
accurate results.

You yourself have acknowledged that GE has stores in every neighborhood. People assign value to having a store nearby and are obviously willing to pay a premium for that convenience. You may not be willing to pay such a premium, but as is made perfectly clear by GE's success, a lot of people are.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
I just thank goodness for TJ's, the Strip and Whole Foods. I would hate to be forced into Giant E. That would be horrible.
A couple of weeks ago, I complained about GE's price of St. Andre, a triple-creme cheese similar to, but with a lot more flavor than Brie. WF sells it for $9.49/lb. Penn Mac asks $13.49. When I wrote about this before, GE's price was $19.99/lb. They've since upped it to $21.99/lb. WTF?

Also, has anyone noticed that about a quarter the onions from the Market District in Shadyside are rotten when you cut into them? I never had this problem, never heard of this problem, until I started shopping there. I buy the sweet onions most of the time, but it happens sometimes with red onions as well. I've taken to buying twice as many onions as I think I'm going to need. I don't use enough of them to buy a whole bag. I buy individual onions as I need them.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Well that's pretty much the definition of market pricing. For a guy that often touts the benefits of the free market, you need to believe that it produces
accurate results.

You yourself have acknowledged that GE has stores in every neighborhood. People assign value to having a store nearby and are obviously willing to pay a premium for that convenience. You may not be willing to pay such a premium, but as is made perfectly clear by GE's success, a lot of people are.
Pittsburgh and other midwestern type places are perfect for places like Giant Eagle, because we just don't want to go other places or bother with change. I don't think they would pull it off in places like New Jersey or DC.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:16 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I complained about GE's price of St. Andre, a triple-creme cheese similar to, but with a lot more flavor than Brie.
There is a Brie at Trader Joes that you might really love. It is from France, but the name escapes me. Just ask anyone there what the smelly brie from France is and they will tell you. I think the label has orange on it. It is a kickin brie.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh and other midwestern type places are perfect for places like Giant Eagle, because we just don't want to go other places or bother with change. I don't think they would pull it off in places like New Jersey or DC.
When I lived in DC in the '80s and '90s, you were either a Safeway person or a Giant person, and for the great majority of people, I think the choice was simply a matter of which was closer to your home or your work. I didn't really like either one. There were a couple of Sutton Place Gourmets in the '80s, but they were more expensive than Whole Foods, which appeared in DC in the mid-90s.

And now a couple of other places, Harris-Teeter and (I think) Wegman's. But those two were after I left.

The best shopping I ever had was the Pike Place Market in Seattle, which I lived across the street from when I lived there. A shame I didn't like Seattle more, but that was a nice place to shop for groceries.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:56 AM

472 posts, read 623,487 times
I don't understand why anyone thinks Giant Eagle is cheaper than any other place?? I think it is much more expensive... Also if anyone is a vegetarian or a vegan and is shopping at Giant Eagle I would thoroughly read the labels of what your buying they add lots of animal products to things that are seemingly veg friendly especially Giant Eagle brand pasta sauces.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM

469 posts, read 1,446,951 times
I have not been on here for awhile, but when I saw the title on this thread, I had to comment.
Yes, Giant Eagle is waaaayyyyy overpriced! I moved here from Texas almost 2 years ago, and was I in for a sticker-shock. Come on, .89 cents for a lemon? Over 3.00 for a gallon a milk? wtf?
I have been reduced to grocery shopping at Walmart, its the only place I can afford to grocery shop. There really needs to be much more competition here.
HEB (a cheap but great Texas grocery store,) would put stupid GE out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh