Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times

Advertisements

I went to TWO (2) of their locations tonight looking for rice paper. I know where to find it (the Strip, duh), but the urge to make Vietnamese-style fresh rolls hit me on a grocery-shopping trip on a Sunday evening, so all I can do is vent. If I was in Virginia, I could find them at the lowliest Food Lion in the ghetto, near where my mom lives. Not in Pittsburgh, though. And, no, I'm not blaming Pittsburgh. I'm blaming the yinzer-monopoly two-bit "super"market that has a stranglehold on the local grocery business. Yeah, I know. I could have gone down McKnight (again) and tried the mega-Kuhn's, but I had to go home and they would have cost even more than the ones I didn't find, had they actually been at the Iggle.

What bugs you about Giant Eagle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 PM

809 posts, read 2,409,657 times
Food prices are way too expensive.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:49 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Food prices are way too expensive.
I don't like the fact that if Giant Eagle doesn't change it's ways, it's going to be obliterated by Wal-Mart, leaving this area with almost no options. I mean, the lines aren't any better than Wal-Mart. If you're going to charge more, you at least expect better service, with more employees, including baggers, and no self-check outs. That seems to be how Target, H-E-B and Publix handle the competition. Other chains that didn't do that - Safeway, Kroger, Albertsons - just slowly disappear from one area then another leaving only Wal-Mart.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:54 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I went to TWO (2) of their locations tonight looking for rice paper.
Please, like that is something that people look for on a regular basis.

No complaints on Giant Eagle, other than I can't believe people don't have anything better to do on a Sunday than jam the place full.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Please, like that is something that people look for on a regular basis.

No complaints on Giant Eagle, other than I can't believe people don't have anything better to do on a Sunday than jam the place full.
I have to agree like rice paper is something that will sell big in Pittsburgh. I don't really mind them minus their high prices. Can I ask which Giant Eagles you went to?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I have to agree like rice paper is something that will sell big in Pittsburgh. I don't really mind them minus their high prices. Can I ask which Giant Eagles you went to?
You want to know which Giant Eagle I go to? We usually go to the Watereworks. When I lived in Shadyside, we of course would walk to the Market District. Full any hour of the day.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
You didn't find it at Giant Eagle and you think Kuhn's might have had it?

Whole Foods would have been the only real place to look at that time on that day, IMO. Although if it wasn't too late, the one big Asian place in the Strip (Lotus Foods is what I'm thinking of) is open Sunday and I think it may be open later-ish, like until about 6 or 7. On an average day it's open later than everything else, I know that.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,306 times
There's really only one Giant Eagle that I despise, and its the Shadyside Market District.

The people who work there are ok for the most part.

The people who frequent the store are slightly of the annoying hipster variety, but I suppose that's just the area in general.

No what I really hate about that particular GE is the way its designed: too much crammed into too small of a space to properly accommodate it. The parking garage has some sort of weird substance coating the floor that causes tires to slip and make odd noises while driving on it.

The walls of the parking garage are too small to accommodate more than one car at a time, and if you're driving anything bigger than the average compact you stand a good chance of side swiping the wall at the bottom of the ramp to the lower level.

The aisles of the store itself are also too narrow to allow two people to comfortably pass through, and the endcaps awkwardly placed in the larger main aisles makes those areas cramped as well.

I've also seen typical items like green bell peppers priced at near $4 a pound because they were organic, with no non organic ones being offered at the time.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,078 times
Creeps, did you try Walmart? Haha, I couldn't resist.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
I can't figure out why my GE in Braddock Hills can't carry the ValuTime Cranberry Juice (regular.) Other than that, no real complaints.

For rice paper, did you try any of thier Giant Geisha satellite stores?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh