Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 05:50 AM

76 posts, read 228,152 times

Advertisements

I am in Pittsburgh next week to close on my beautiful Victorian brick house, and huge bargain (completely rebuilt inside/safe neighborhood.) Being from Flat Florida, where coastal cities are on a north/south grid, I am not quite ready for the unusual routes one may have to take in Pittsburgh. Does anyone know if Google maps work well in Pittsburgh? Internet maps are not always correct. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 06:41 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,510 times
I will say that google maps are accurate in Pgh, much better than other servcices such as mapquest. The advantage is that you can zoom in pretty close w/ the satellite picture which gives you a better idea if the street really exists.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
While internet maps of Pittsburgh are accurate, Pittsburgh street signs are not dependable. You'll do best to print out the map and count streets instead of using the written directions from the likes of mapquest. Mapquest directions simply instruct you to make a turn after a certain distance onto a certain street. You need directions that say 'make the 5th left' if you're going to get anywhere. The only way you can get those type of directions is to look at the map yourself and write out your own directions.

Congratulations on your upcoming closing!

We should have a city-data gathering at the James Street Tavern to celebrate! I'm sure many here would love to buy you a drink!

You should be able to walk to it from your new house: James Street Tavern- Pittsburgh, PA (http://www.discoverourtown.com/PA/local-46436.html - broken link)

Old 05-26-2007, 01:07 PM

101 posts, read 353,481 times
I usually use Microsoft Streets & Trips which are the same maps as maps as local.live.com (formerly maps.msn.com). I very rarely have any issues. As for street signs not being dependable, I disagree and agree. In the city limits, most are pretty well marked and many of them clearly mark the neighborhood you're in and the street names on a large sign. Even the smaller streets are generally marked pretty well with the street name only. Outside the city limits, it's a different story. Some areas are well marked. Others have street signs missing totally.

One thing you should do is always reset your odometer when making a trip you have directions for and then pay attention to it when you turn on a street so you know how far you have to go to get to the next one. It works out quite well for me.

Maaz

Old 05-26-2007, 01:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
One thing I found frustrating about driving around Pittsburgh was that a named road may all of a sudden veer off with no sign telling you so, and you'll keep going straight thinking you're still on the road that veered off.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:38 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,094 times
Default stairs?

On an only-slightly-unrelated note, I've read about the streets that turn into a set of stairs. Does anyone know where exactly they are? Thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
There were some on the south side slopes many years ago when I was a public health nurse there. This was before the slopes were "hip", of course.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:24 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,220 times
When I first moved here, Google maps were a life-saver. Yeah, they work great. Without them I might have ended up in West Virginia.

But I'd recommend getting a GPS instead. I have one on my cell phone, and it offers great piece of mind knowing I can explore the city and will always be able to get directions back home.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:11 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
When I first moved here, Google maps were a life-saver. Yeah, they work great. Without them I might have ended up in West Virginia.

But I'd recommend getting a GPS instead. I have one on my cell phone, and it offers great piece of mind knowing I can explore the city and will always be able to get directions back home.
I don't know about all this techonology stuff -- maps and GPS -- I've had some of my best times getting lost...

We still makes cracks about me trying to get Brent and I to the Pittsburgh Zoo
and we kept ending up in Etna... that's been almost 28 years. Whenever I say "let's try this way..." Brent says "we're gonna end up in Etna, aren't we?".

Wish we did -- I could stay in CA and drive to my Mom's every couple of weeks.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:27 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,510 times
There is one set of stairs listed as a street in Oakland, Diulus Way. You would never know this is a set of stairs just by looking at a map. Thats why I like to use the map/satellite hybrid feature on Google Maps, that way you can obviously tell it is a stairway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh