Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 AM

357 posts, read 888,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Based on the OP's comments, he's living in an area where the schools are not good.
Sure, maybe. But generally speaking, Montgomery County Public Schools have a pretty good reputation... the situation there is not nearly as bleak as you previous post made it sound. (e.g. "Anyone who can afford private go that route. ")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
You can also take trains from Pittsburgh directly to Chicago, NYC, Philly, and DC. It's really in a great location for short trips.
How much and how long are each of those trains?

That's just good info to know, in general

Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
The last train trip I took was from Pgh to Altoona to take in a few ballgames. The train was 1 hour late leaving Pgh, and we had to sit on a sidling for 1.5 hours so a freight train could pass us. The return trip on Sunday was scheduled for 8 PM, didn't leave until 10 arrived back in Pgh at 2 AM.

Any chance things have improved in 10 years?

Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM

202 posts, read 347,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bear View Post
We moved from Pittsburgh to the DC area 7 years ago. We first lived in Bethesda for the first year, then we moved out to Rockville and have been here ever since.

I often wonder what my life would be like if we lived in Pittsburgh instead of Rockville. Granted, I know much has changed in Pittsburgh since I lived there and I lived there as a young 20-something not with a family
kbear Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I think you made some very valid points. If my travels do take me back to pgh I will definately look into the museums, zoo and kennywood as you suggested. Its funny, I grew up outside pgh near the airport and never really ventured downtown. Granted i was younger, but after living here I would be really open to the idea of living in the city. Even if we do decide to live in the suburbs I know I will be venturing into the city more often. Thank you for being honest and giving me some great ideas!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
The last train trip I took was from Pgh to Altoona to take in a few ballgames. The train was 1 hour late leaving Pgh, and we had to sit on a sidling for 1.5 hours so a freight train could pass us. The return trip on Sunday was scheduled for 8 PM, didn't leave until 10 arrived back in Pgh at 2 AM.

Any chance things have improved in 10 years?
yeah, it's not that bad anymore. not as good as it should be but not very late very often. in my experience it's mostly on time, couple times we arrived in pitt an hour early.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,811 times
Default I know what you're saying

Oldway -

I have been reading this forum for some time - every since my wife and I started to seriously consider a move back (for me) to Pgh. Your post in particular has really struck a cord and has caused me to register and post for the first time.

I grew up in Sq. Hill, left for college and ended up in NYC. I've been here for almost 13 years. Met my wife here, and she is from Rockville originally. We have a 20 mos old and must find new living arrangements later this year as our 1 BR in Manhattan just can't cut it for much longer. After much thought we decided that moving to the NY burbs (i.e. NJ or Westchester) was not for us. We have zero connections to those places and would not experience the city like we have been for all of these years. I have a great job and leaving it will be challenging psychologically. But I have spent a lot of time looking at the bigger picture. We know that it is time for us to make a move - to buy our first house and find a place where our child can go to nursery school without first requiring an entrance interview.

I think I understand your feelings and use of the term "failing", when contemplating a return to the Pgh. We all know that Pgh is not a '1st tier'/world class city. It is not NYC or LA or Chi or DC or SF, etc. But you know what, that's ok. Those are unique places that have a lot of qualities. There are incredibly talented people there, there is sophistication, diversity, wonderment, etc. One might feel that not living in these kinds of cities, places you on the 'B' team. And by going to live in Pgh, where one can feel like it is an 'easier' place to live, you're not challenging yourself to the fullest. Right now my wife feels this way. The idea of 'easier' is defined by a lower cost of living (we probably could manage with my income, so my wife would not have to work), a short commute, shorter lines everywhere, great housing, the list goes on. She feels like we are taking the easy way out - that we are not fully challenging ourselves.

While I have not actually made the move back yet, my gut tells me that the sum of all the attributes one can find in a place like Pgh (which are well documented in many of these threads) far exceeds the perception of being on the 'B' team. It's a perception only.

We have considered Rockville/Bethesda/Chevy Chase as an alternative landing spot. But every time I check the housing stock online, confirm what my commute time would be into the District and then visit my in-laws there and sit in traffic on Rockville Pike for 30 mins in order to go to the local Target or visit the Barnes & Noble I snap back to earth, kiss my wife and tell her "no way!"

Perhaps our families will end up Pgh later this year and you and I can have a beer and toast to our new and improved lives.

Enough for now.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Big Apple Burgher,

That was a fascinating post--thanks!

For what it is worth, I think you can play a situation like Pittsburgh either way. You can take advantage of the low cost of living, relatively low key work expectations, and so on to carve out a very comfortable and active life for your family. But if you want to challenge yourself, you could well have more relative impact than in a larger city (call it a big fish in a small pond approach). That is particularly true if you are entrepreneurial, but you could do it through foundation work, politics, or so on.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,811 times
Brian TH -

I actually want it both ways. I want the comfortable/active life and I want the challenging career. I believe Pgh can deliver that. I do know it will be different. The challenges will be different, the metrics for success will be different.

In metro NY there's no question a challenging career is available, but you can not achieve the other - a comfortable life style. Unless you are hugely wealthy. But even then, wealth does not change the fact that you will need to sit at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel for 45 minutes every morning on the way to work. Or if you don't do that, you need to wait three years just to obtain a parking pass at your commuter rail station. Or you need to go on Fandango and buy your movie ticket hours before, instead of deciding at the last moment that its movie night. Or you can't change the attitude of the people you're standing in the checkout line with.

I am excited by the prospect of taking what I've learned and encountered in my career in NY and applying it to a new opportunity in Pgh. Now all I need to do is to find a job there.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Best of luck!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:34 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Apple Burgher View Post
Oldway -

I have been reading this forum for some time - every since my wife and I started to seriously consider a move back (for me) to Pgh. Your post in particular has really struck a cord and has caused me to register and post for the first time.

I grew up in Sq. Hill, left for college and ended up in NYC. I've been here for almost 13 years. Met my wife here, and she is from Rockville originally. We have a 20 mos old and must find new living arrangements later this year as our 1 BR in Manhattan just can't cut it for much longer. After much thought we decided that moving to the NY burbs (i.e. NJ or Westchester) was not for us. We have zero connections to those places and would not experience the city like we have been for all of these years. I have a great job and leaving it will be challenging psychologically. But I have spent a lot of time looking at the bigger picture. We know that it is time for us to make a move - to buy our first house and find a place where our child can go to nursery school without first requiring an entrance interview.

I think I understand your feelings and use of the term "failing", when contemplating a return to the Pgh. We all know that Pgh is not a '1st tier'/world class city. It is not NYC or LA or Chi or DC or SF, etc. But you know what, that's ok. Those are unique places that have a lot of qualities. There are incredibly talented people there, there is sophistication, diversity, wonderment, etc. One might feel that not living in these kinds of cities, places you on the 'B' team. And by going to live in Pgh, where one can feel like it is an 'easier' place to live, you're not challenging yourself to the fullest. Right now my wife feels this way. The idea of 'easier' is defined by a lower cost of living (we probably could manage with my income, so my wife would not have to work), a short commute, shorter lines everywhere, great housing, the list goes on. She feels like we are taking the easy way out - that we are not fully challenging ourselves.

While I have not actually made the move back yet, my gut tells me that the sum of all the attributes one can find in a place like Pgh (which are well documented in many of these threads) far exceeds the perception of being on the 'B' team. It's a perception only.

We have considered Rockville/Bethesda/Chevy Chase as an alternative landing spot. But every time I check the housing stock online, confirm what my commute time would be into the District and then visit my in-laws there and sit in traffic on Rockville Pike for 30 mins in order to go to the local Target or visit the Barnes & Noble I snap back to earth, kiss my wife and tell her "no way!"

Perhaps our families will end up Pgh later this year and you and I can have a beer and toast to our new and improved lives.

Enough for now.
Great post!

Funny, the last week or so, I've been contemplating the DC area...just browsing houses, and for me, wanting an urban environment, and having a kid as well. I've come to the conclusion that if I chose the DC area, I would be commuting from very far - I was thinking maybe Frederick MD would give me urban...but 1 hour 20 commutes. DC certainly gives urban or Alexandria VA...but can't afford them....

Amazing the housing stock in Pittsburgh for just a fraction of the price as well. I've also thought that in Pittsburgh, with the freed up money not being spent on mortgage/rent, etc., it would be a lot easier to get creative with the money and either invest in real estate or try to start a business...things that are pretty much non-possibilities in the worlds great cities with their expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh