Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:07 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times

Advertisements

by the way - i meant i would NOT see it as frivolous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
I was surprised when I read the sign and didn't see a 1, 2 or 3 hour exception. The normal signs in Pittsburgh usually give an hour or so. And it does seem like it would be an inconvenience for residents, especially after reading the ordinance. There is no 800 number or whatever the lady at the boro building was talking about. A resident has to buy a temporary permit for the visitor. How the hell do you get a delivery?
yes, this whole thing sounds ridiculous and in my eyes (at least) makes swissvale seem like a joke since there is no information given on their sign, and not even a contact number. what good government.

thanks sylvia and jimmy for alerting people to this shenanigans. granted, its only a $15 ticket, but in principle, it speaks volumes.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:56 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
granted, its only a $15 ticket, but in principle, it speaks volumes.
It sure does.
It says that Swissvale is serious in making sure their residents - the ones who chose to live there and pay taxes there - have parking spaces when they get home.
A GOOD thing in my book!

Old 01-31-2010, 02:06 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,216 times
Ha, yeah - those that leave home for work in the first place!

Dormont, Oakland, Mt. Lebanon, Edgewood, Bloomfield, and the South Side - to name but a few - are all residential communities with the potential to be 'over-run' by commuters, but all have a more reasonable system to manage that traffic without alienating visitors. This is a money grab, despite efforts to spin it otherwise.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,058,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It sure does.
It says that Swissvale is serious in making sure their residents - the ones who chose to live there and pay taxes there - have parking spaces when they get home.
A GOOD thing in my book!
It would be a good thing if it were a well-written ordinance. But if a resident can't have a plumber, HVAC mechanic, or Merry Maids perform services except on weekends because of a parking ordinance, it's not such a good thing.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:09 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
I parked on Woodstock Ave. near its intersection with Ormond St., in Swissvale this morning at 8:10 am for 20 minutes while picking up an acquaintance for an appointment. I came out and found a parking ticket on my windshield!

Apparently, despite it being a residential street with a low traffic volume (3 cars, including mine, parked along the entire block), the street is zoned "permit only" from 7am - 7pm Monday through Friday. I drive around the city and county quite a bit and typically see that visitors are given a 1 hour "grace" period, but apparently not in Swissvale.

I'm going to contest the ticket because it seems like extortion. Anyone have a similar experience? Is Swissvale that hard up for cash or what?

Let's see, the sign said No Parking from 7 AM-7 PM, but you parked there anyway and got a ticket.

What's the problem, you broke the rules.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:27 PM

178 posts, read 399,501 times
I get a kick out of people like the OP. And unfortunately the world is full of them. I do not know what it is about these people; maybe it is a sense of entitlement as a result of a spoiled upbringing.

All this random BS about Swissvale and parking law is just rhetoric. You parked where you should not have and got a ticket. Lots of people get away with it, this time you did not.

If receiving a $15 ticket is so upsetting to you I would recomend not illegaly parking in such zones.

If you believe such laws to be tyrannical then organize a movement and take it up with the local legislature.

If you unknowingly parked in the zone potentially as a result of a lack of proper signage, then go ahead and contest the ticket.

Otherwise, shut the hell up, pay the ticket, and get over yourself.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Let's see, the sign said No Parking from 7 AM-7 PM, but you parked there anyway and got a ticket.

What's the problem, you broke the rules.
Well, that's a fine attitude with which to live life. There have been (and still are) some spectacularly obedient slaves in the world!

This is often the problem with debate - people tend to become emotionally defensive and thus more entrenched in their original position regardless of what reasoning is used to show alternate, perhaps preferable, options.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:11 PM

178 posts, read 399,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
Well, that's a fine attitude with which to live life. There have been (and still are) some spectacularly obedient slaves in the world!

This is often the problem with debate - people tend to become emotionally defensive and thus more entrenched in their original position regardless of what reasoning is used to show alternate, perhaps preferable, options.
You almost make this too easy.

There is really nothing I can say to make you look more foolish than pulling out the "obedient slaves" parallel to parking regulations which are designed to provide parking for residents of the area.

You do not seem like the kind of person that pays any attention to reasoning at all, if such reasoning would be incovenient to your immediate wants and desires, so I am not surprised to hear you accuse others of the same.

You just sound like a teary eyed baby whining because you cannot park wherever the you want, whenver you want.

Seriously, give me a break.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Brookline_sylvia

Why do you think that you are above the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh