Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of presumptuous and ad hominem behavior here!

Regarding "following the rules" and "obedient slaves", there's no difference in logic here, just qualitative degree, when a person refuses to question authority and says "just follow the rules and accept the consequences". Obviously, a law is an expression of power, and laws inherently favor certain categories of people and behaviors, so it's a cop out to simply say "you're not above the law" because it neglects to address the fundamental question of what (and whose) purpose the law serves and its consequences, which is what people ought to be concerned with, not the simple fact that a law exists and it is therefore good. Like I said earlier, laws, especially petty ones like this, come and go all the time depending on who wants to control what.

This is getting too repetitive - back in the beginning I acknowledged this was not a "revolutionary issue" or a "big deal", but is a relatively petty instance of a municipal government passing a law simply to nickel and dime people. I merely stated what happened, said I was going to contest it, and asked if anyone had any insight. Somehow it's devolved to the point where I'm being told to "shut the hell up" for explaining my perspective on a thread that exists for just such a purpose, and having my original position grossly exaggerated to the point where I'm accused of being a "teary eyed baby whining because I cannot park wherever I want, whenever I want".

So, yes, I'm indignant about having to pay a fine for this. I don't apologize to those who may be bewildered by that idea, or to those who enter discussion boards and demand that all discussion cease because they are in disagreement and then start name-calling. I'm sure a resident or two is also indignant about having to buy a permit now when then didn't need one in the past - the Borough didn't give residents, even those without driveways, free permits after all, which should give a clue about what this is really all about. So, given that it's basically about money, I'm not going to rush to surrender mine without my day in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 PM

178 posts, read 399,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
There's a lot of presumptuous and ad hominem behavior here!

Regarding "following the rules" and "obedient slaves", there's no difference in logic here, just qualitative degree, when a person refuses to question authority and says "just follow the rules and accept the consequences". Obviously, a law is an expression of power, and laws inherently favor certain categories of people and behaviors, so it's a cop out to simply say "you're not above the law" because it neglects to address the fundamental question of what (and whose) purpose the law serves and its consequences, which is what people ought to be concerned with, not the simple fact that a law exists and it is therefore good. Like I said earlier, laws, especially petty ones like this, come and go all the time depending on who wants to control what.

This is getting too repetitive - back in the beginning I acknowledged this was not a "revolutionary issue" or a "big deal", but is a relatively petty instance of a municipal government passing a law simply to nickel and dime people. I merely stated what happened, said I was going to contest it, and asked if anyone had any insight. Somehow it's devolved to the point where I'm being told to "shut the hell up" for explaining my perspective on a thread that exists for just such a purpose, and having my original position grossly exaggerated to the point where I'm accused of being a "teary eyed baby whining because I cannot park wherever I want, whenever I want".

So, yes, I'm indignant about having to pay a fine for this. I don't apologize to those who may be bewildered by that idea, or to those who enter discussion boards and demand that all discussion cease because they are in disagreement and then start name-calling. I'm sure a resident or two is also indignant about having to buy a permit now when then didn't need one in the past - the Borough didn't give residents, even those without driveways, free permits after all, which should give a clue about what this is really all about. So, given that it's basically about money, I'm not going to rush to surrender mine without my day in court.
You are projecting. The only person being presumptuous is yourself.

We are not refusing to question authority. We are not simply following rules and blindly accepting the consequences. We are not claiming that a rule is good simply because it exists.

Come on. I have never had anyone put so many words into my mouth before.

By the way, I am a Libertarian. So I get the opposition to law which limits liberty. Trust me.

But seriously, get a grip. The parking regulation is simply to nickel and dime people? Really? I do not know that to be true - and neither do you. You just presume it to be because it happens to be most convenient and allows you to whine about your ticket.

What if I were to tell you that the revenues derived from these parking tickets are a fraction of a percent of the municipality's operating budget? Would it still just be a cash grab? You have certaintly assumed as much with very little information.

You have these ideas in your head which you have clearly already concluded to be fact. All because you got caught one day parking illegally.

All I hear from you is presumption and melodrama. I mean, you even only presume that residents dislike the regulation. You do not know that to be true either. It is equally likely that they appreciate the regulation because it gives them access to parking as residents which would otherwise be used by non-residents.

I do not think there is one piece of factual information in your entire post. It is all just opinionated reaction to getting a $15 ticket.

And your accusations of presumption and argumentum ad hominem are comical at best, coming from someone whose posts are littered with straw men arguments and whose entire position is built upon presumption.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Everybody please calm down.
Yac.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:07 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
I mean, you even only presume that residents dislike the regulation. You do not know that to be true either. It is equally likely that they appreciate the regulation because it gives them access to parking as residents which would otherwise be used by non-residents.
While the OP's interest in this is dubious - hey, there was a sign, the regulation on the sign was broken, you got a ticket, big deal - it does not negate the fact that the regulation itself is a little bit dubious. Considering that it seems to be an imposition on residents living in the permitted-parking area, it's goal seems NOT to be to preserve parking for residents living in the permitted-parking area. The permits are available to any resident of Swissvale, whether they live inside the permitted-parking area or not.

It seems to me that the purpose of the ordinance is to preserve parking in the less-desirable parts of Swissvale (those near the busway) for residents living in the more desirable parts of Swissvale (further from the busway).

Your suggestion of taking it up with the 'local legislature' - the boro council - is right on target.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Swissvale takes parking more seriously than most other neighborhoods. The majority of other places will give you a grace period, but follow the signs to the letter in swissvale!

I almost moved there, but the place I was looking at didn't have guest parking and I didn't want my friends to have to deal with the swissvale parking authority.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
But if a resident can't have a plumber, HVAC mechanic, or Merry Maids perform services except on weekends because of a parking ordinance, it's not such a good thing.
In permit parking only areas, don't permit holders generally get visitor passes for guests (which would include repairmen)?

Old 02-01-2010, 03:53 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
In permit parking only areas, don't permit holders generally get visitor passes for guests (which would include repairmen)?
Not in Swissvale. Which makes the ordinance suspect.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
You should bring it to the attention of Marty Griffin at KDKA, or someone at one of the other tv stations, and let them do an investigation to bring it into the public light.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Pitt CHick and Redball - your points are made loud and clear.

but this forum seems to be inhabited by few, if any, cynics. most people here care about our community; i have rarely sensed anyone feeling "above the law". ok, she was rubbed the wrong way, but i didnt gather that sylvia thought she was ENTITLED to park her car where/when she wanted.

we were discussing the specifics of her situation:
- there was ample parking at that time
-she was not parked there at the conclusion of the workday, etc.

so couldnt sylvia have been given a warning?
was the sign CLEAR about what was legal or not? (she assumed that without a permit, she'd at least get a time window).

we arent calling swissvale tyrannical (well, *I* may have, actually ), but bringing to the table the system in place there. its good to clear up things like this so that people can make informed decisions about something as mundane as where to leave her personal vehicle for a short visit.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookline_sylvia View Post
I parked on Woodstock Ave. near its intersection with Ormond St., in Swissvale this morning at 8:10 am

<snip>

the street is zoned "permit only" from 7am - 7pm Monday through Friday.
Actually, these are the specifics as stated by the OP herself.

She rolled the diced, illegally parking where it was clearly marked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh