Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the bottomline is there aren't enough hotels in the center of town and prices tend to be at least moderately high (not necessarily insane, but not what I would consider budget).

Anyway, the South Side is full of cool bars and restaurants. I like Fat Heads if you are interested in excellent bar food and drinks in a casual atmosphere--it is about 8 walkable blocks down Carson from the Holiday Inn at 18th Street. Cafe du Jour is a more upscale/bistro option only about a block away at 11th. Le Pommier is very nice but farther away (on 21st). Mallorca, a Spanish place, has been one of our favorites forever, but is even a little farther away at the Birmingham Bridge. But there are seriously a lot of places to explore over there, and you could just drift down Carson and pop in wherever looks fun.

For running, there are trails along the river on both sides you might check out. For other activities, there is a lot to do Downtown or on the North Side, plus the Strip, an open-air market district, is always fun to visit. I think the Heinz History Center in the Strip can be a cool place to get a sense of Pittsburgh--it is a lot more spectacular than a local history museum has any right to be, thanks to apparently unlimited supplies of relish and ketchup money (and it is actually a Smithsonian affiliate). The Warhol Museum and Mattress Factory on the North Side are two very cool modern museums. A ride up one of the inclines and a walk along Grandview Avenue on Mt. Washington is a must--you can take the Mon Incline from Station Square which is not far from the Holiday Inn. Unfortunately I don't think the Gateway Clipper Fleet runs in February (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Anyway, those are just some ideas, based on where you will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 08:52 PM

102 posts, read 161,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I like Fat Heads if you are interested in excellent bar food and drinks in a casual atmosphere--it is about 8 walkable blocks down Carson from the Holiday Inn at 18th Street. Cafe du Jour is a more upscale/bistro option only about a block away at 11th. Le Pommier is very nice but farther away (on 21st). Mallorca, a Spanish place, has been one of our favorites forever, but is even a little farther away at the Birmingham Bridge. But there are seriously a lot of places to explore over there, and you could just drift down Carson and pop in wherever looks fun.

For running, there are trails along the river on both sides you might check out. For other activities, there is a lot to do Downtown or on the North Side, plus the Strip, an open-air market district, is always fun to visit. I think the Heinz History Center in the Strip can be a cool place to get a sense of Pittsburgh--it is a lot more spectacular than a local history museum has any right to be, thanks to apparently unlimited supplies of relish and ketchup money (and it is actually a Smithsonian affiliate). The Warhol Museum and Mattress Factory on the North Side are two very cool modern museums. A ride up one of the inclines and a walk along Grandview Avenue on Mt. Washington is a must--you can take the Mon Incline from Station Square which is not far from the Holiday Inn. Unfortunately I don't think the Gateway Clipper Fleet runs in February (someone please correct me if I am wrong).

Those all sound great! Will definitely try to fit those places in. Now for Mt. Washington...is that place I see in a lot of pictures along that street? (the one that overlooks the 3 rivers?)

Also....do any of the bars/restaurants you suggested have any problems against people of 2 races (black and white)? (Patrons, owners, etc.) I'm moving up north mostly because I want to escape a lot of the close-mindedness in Alabama. I know it's everywhere, but it's not so bad up North.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 PM

Also, where does the Subway travel to? Is there a website that shows the routes? I've read this board enough to know that it isn't all that much of one, but any transportation links are appreciated. I know the bus will be one of our options. How about taxis?

Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz06 View Post
Now for Mt. Washington...is that place I see in a lot of pictures along that street? (the one that overlooks the 3 rivers?)
That's it: Grandview Avenue runs along the top of Mt. Washington, and you can get to several different vantage points looking down on the three rivers. The Mon Incline takes you straight to Grandview, and you can walk as far as you like then come back.

Quote:
Also....do any of the bars/restaurants you suggested have any problems against people of 2 races (black and white)? (Patrons, owners, etc.) I'm moving up north mostly because I want to escape a lot of the close-mindedness in Alabama. I know it's everywhere, but it's not so bad up North.
I doubt you will encounter any problems--the South Side is a fairly cosmopolitan place to begin with, and the places I named should be in line with that. In general Pittsburgh is a pretty live-and-let-live place: I'm sure you could find isolated pockets where someone might look at you funny, but most of the main areas aren't going to be at all like that.

Quote:
Also, where does the Subway travel to? Is there a website that shows the routes?
So the online resources for our transit system are ridiculously, embarrassingly, bad. Google maps has a transit function that works pretty well, but to use the official website you basically have to know what you are looking for already.

Anyway, here is a PDF which includes a detail map of the T route Downtown--note Gateway is closed for renovations:

http://www.portauthority.org/PAAC/apps/pdfs/42C.pdf (broken link)

You will likely only be taking the T, if at all, from Station Square to Steel Plaza or Wood Street. I'm not sure where you are planning to go, but from Steel Plaza you can walk over to Penn Station and then transfer to the East Busway. Although it uses buses, the East Busway is like a light rail service, and you can use it to visit Shadyside or East Liberty.

Quote:
I know the bus will be one of our options. How about taxis?
Hopefully your hotel can help you with both buses and taxis. Note taxis aren't really commonly used in Pittsburgh, so you want to be a little careful about assuming it will be easy to get a taxi back from wherever you take one to.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
There is a Hampton Inn on the Blvd of the Allies just about a mile from Mercy with free shuttle service there. Ive stayed at the hotel and received a medical rate. Its the Hampton Inn at the University, 412-681-1000. Ask for their medical rate. Great place, had a great staff too. HOpe this helps!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 PM

BrianTH.....how far is the hotel you suggested from the campus of Pitt? We're going to going to that campus and want to know if it's walkable or if we should just take a bus?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
BrianTH.....how far is the hotel you suggested from the campus of Pitt? We're going to going to that campus and want to know if it's walkable or if we should just take a bus?
It is about 2 miles, which is doable but a bit long. The 54C bus is a good alternative: it runs about every 10-20 minutes depending on the time of day, and picks up from 18th and Carson and goes straight to the University of Pittsburgh in about 10-15 minutes.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM

135 posts, read 387,336 times
a black-white couple is no big deal, no one really cares you will run across some ignorant bigot here and there in your travels around PA but it is not a problem everybody is pretty cool about it in PA, and restaurants well once you move here you will be checking out a new restaurant all the time but you will eventually get to having your favorites, but some to check out is Primanti Bros. you will either love it or hate it there, fresh sliced Italian bread with your choice of meat or fish with slaw, fries, and a tomato on top of it mmm that is good eats, and a great place to grab a good lunch Primanti Bros. Restaurant - Pittsburgh's "Almost Famous" Sandwiches - Primanti Brothers Restaurant they are located in the strip district and up toward PITT on Forbes if I remember right and it is right by The Lube my favorite place for Chicken wings, for a big breakfast try Deluca's at 2015 Penn Ave., but like I said once you are here you will find some great places on your own to eat at.
Now one thing you need to visit while here is the Strip District they have some wonderful little shops there and it truly gives you the flavor of Pittsburgh, in the morning with the smell of roasting coffee and fresh baked bread in the airyou will think you are in heaven Neighbors in the Strip and check out the Carnegie museums and the Andy Warhol museum and don't forget to take a ride on the Duquesne Incline you will see a view of Pittsburgh you will never forget .
I hope you enjoy your stay and take in the sites and welcome to PA

Old 01-31-2010, 11:08 PM

What are the prices to get on the Duquesne Incline? Or is there a price? What are their hours of operation and when is the best time to take in that wonderful view that I keep seeing everywhere?

Thanks for all of the help!!!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
What are the prices to get on the Duquesne Incline? Or is there a price? What are their hours of operation and when is the best time to take in that wonderful view that I keep seeing everywhere?
So there are two inclines, the Mon and the Duquesne. If you are staying on the South Side the Mon Incline will be easier to get to--it is across Carson from Station Square and walkable. The inclines are $2 each way, but you can get a transfer on the Mon for $0.75 that is good for the trip back if you do it within 3 hours.

Given the time of year, I'd suggest a mid-afternoon visit to maximize the outdoor temperature--you will want to walk to the various overlooks along Grandview, but it can be chilly and windy up there. However, a night visit is always cool as well (just bundle up).

The Mon hours are Monday through Saturday 5:30 a.m. to 12:45 a.m.,
Sundays and Holidays 8:45 a.m. to Midnight. The Duquesne Incline is Monday through Saturday 5:30 a.m. to 12:45 a.m., Sundays and Holidays 7:00 a.m. to 12:45 a.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh