Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

That was interesting reading from the general discussion of Pittsburgh in the general forum.

By the way, to anyone who is familiar with me from posting here, I am flying to the U.S. from Japan for a vacation, and hope to be visiting Pittsburgh with my wife and kid...driving around. I'll take some photos, and might even post them on the forum as well.

I visited Pittsburgh once at 18..and still stands out well above other places I've been....and the last year or so, been viewing all the time these threads and google maps checking out Pittsburgh from afar...cant wait to actually drive around the city and neighborhoods more thoroughly within the next few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 07:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Tiger Beer,

I hope you have a great visit!

Old 01-30-2010, 07:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I also enjoyed the fresh commentary, so thanks to the OP for getting us at least a couple pages of it.
Yes, I agree. It's always good to "see ourselves as others see us". (Even though I don't live there any more)

Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
You obviously did not get around very much if that's what you think. Most Pittsburgh city neighborhoods are made up of row houses or detached houses that are only a couple feet apart, and there are many dense commercial streets within the neighborhoods. Here are some examples on google street view of typical neighborhood images:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Also, people from Pittsburgh do not talk like they're from the midwest. They in fact have their own regional dialect.

Well I didn't go traveling around the entire city, but I did see parts of it. I didn't get around the city that much, but don't tell me in general I don't get around much. I travel all over the place.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 PM

90 posts, read 131,595 times
I grew up in Akron, a city that could be Pittsburgh's smaller cousin in several ways, the most important one being the cities' analogous industrial boom/bust cycles. Akron is in the process of branching out into health care, biotechnology and education but as of yet is not doing nearly as good of a job as is Pittsburgh.

The suburban life is not for me, but I find myself priced out of desirable urban neighborhoods in cities like D.C. As a born-and-bred livable-city girl, Pittsburgh's low cost of living is very attractive to me. Also, I graduated from the Allderdice of the Akron Public Schools and found the experience invaluable. Hope to provide any future children with a similar experience and may turn to Pittsburgh to do so.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 PM

31 posts, read 53,746 times
I've never been to Pittsburgh, but I'm considering going there for school (Pitt or Point Park).

That being said, It seems a bit underrated to me. It seems like a city trying to rebuild itself. Like others have said, the topography amazes me. Just beautiful. I think it's a pretty cool, unique city. & it seems to be decently affordable to live in, unlike most cities of its size. I like that it isn't huge- it makes it more accessible. I like the buildings, the old neighborhoos, everything. I'm also fairly relieved that it doesn't strike me as a "trendy" sort of city. Trendiness gets old after a while, everyone always trying to be something they're not.

When I discuss going to school in Pittsburgh with friends & family, I get mostly negative comments. Why, I have no idea. One (very close-minded) friend actually asked me "What's Pittsburgh...is that a state?" I had to laugh. My father seems to think I'll run into trouble there & my ma thinks it's run down & the people are rude.

It's interesting to see what sort of opinions people have of the place you live in- especially if you've grown up there & you know almost nothing else. I often wonder what sort of impressions people have of my Minneapolis

That being said, I'm intrigued & very curious about Pittsburgh & I can't wait to visit!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Excrement-inspired sculptures notwithstanding, Pittsburgh seems like a lovely city with righteously cool folk. I'll have one of those revolting sandwiches one day...just not sure when.

Tiger Beer, have a wonderful vacation and make sure to post your impressions. They will be interesting to read.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 PM

118 posts, read 282,157 times
Pittsburgh is either really cool, or really crappy...depending on when and what parts you visit. I live about an hour outside of the city, and have lived here my whole life. The place has a lot going for it, but it's still on the mend. The popular areas (south side, downtown, Station Square, etc) are great. The "rough" neighborhoods can't be put into words. For example, places like Wilkinsburg, homewood, McKeesport, etc, all of them are pure hell. The more well-known ghettos like Compton (ha! Compton ain't got NOTHING on Wilkinsburg) don't even compare.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
A city that somehow looks down on itself and has tremendous pride in itself, simultaneously. A city of risk-aversion, afraid to let go of its past for fear that it will lose its identity and/or control of its future destiny. A city of tremendous potential, yet ambivalent about whether it wishes to realize it.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epitathpunk View Post
For example, places like Wilkinsburg, homewood, McKeesport, etc, all of them are pure hell. The more well-known ghettos like Compton (ha! Compton ain't got NOTHING on Wilkinsburg) don't even compare.
As a resident of Wilkinsburg, I just want to note this is inaccurate. Wilkinsburg has some very run down parts but also some very nice parts and everything in between. The commercial area in Wilkinsburg, while not exactly thriving, hasn't entirely collapsed either. And although this is somewhat forward-looking, a broad coalition of neighborhood groups, local, county, and state authorities, non-profits, and corporate partners has been putting money into redeveloping Wilkinsburg and is planning for much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh