Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM

135 posts, read 387,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Well if I go to a CC it will be down here in WV I was just inquring about PTI because they have some IT programs. As far as I know if you get a basic associates in the arts or science the credits will transfer for the most part to a 4 year school at least if the school is another public school like WVU or Pitt.
Well that is totally wrong and shows you don't know much about how the university transfers work, there has been some who had a 2 year degree and they still had to retake some of the classes when they transferred, so again you better check on the school you want to transfer to and the school you are going to and find out what they will accept and won't accept, and out of state students can pay twice as much for tuition than residents in PA, and places like WVU and PITT will shoot down a huge chunk of those 2 year degrees right away and you are basically have to start from scratch and would have been further ahead just to go to WVU or PITT from the beginning instead of wasting time and money on a 2 year community college unless as I said before the school has an agreement to accept the degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
Quote:
Is the Pittsburgh Technical Institute an ok school? I'm in school currently but I'm looking into transferring and getting into an IT program but I would like it to be somewhere decent. If you don't recommend PTI do you have any other recommendations in Pittsburgh for someone wanting to get into an IT program? I doubt I can get into Carnegie Mellon so please let's be realistic here.
I attended PTI for the IT Network Administration track and loved it. I really felt the 2 year associates would be best for me instead of going for my bachelors. I wanted to get out in to the field as quick as possible and gain the experience needed to advance. If you start off in a four year school, everything you learned has changed by the time you graduate. In addition, I researched all of the other "tech" schools in the area and PTI is by far the best in the area.

As far as PTI goes, they really are a great school to get you started in the IT field. Their classes are up to date and you learn all of the current technologies.

Quote:
Whhaaaaatttt 40k???? That's even more per year than Devry in Columbus I believe. Wow no thanks yeah I'd rather just take 2 years of computers at my local community college. With the WIA and the other regular state/fed financial aid I can go for free and just pay for certifications on my own. Not to mention CC's are on semesters not quarters so the credits generally transfer to a 4 year school better. Yes I want to get into networking or database management. I'm not sure I'm interested in software development or software engineering although I know it's great to get into of course.
40K a year?? My costs were nowhere near that. Plus the Financial Aid department helps out alot and they were able to get me many grants.

They also help transfer credits to a bunch of different colleges, more than you think.

Also, most of the bad rap comes from disgruntled students that expect everything like jobs should be handed to them. PTI's employees are extremely helpful, but they are not going to hold your hand. You will have to take some responsibility yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh