Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 17,235 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are thinking of moving back to pittsburgh as the city seems to provide both excellent public and private schools comparing to those in Atlanta. It shows that Central catholic high tuition is only about$7k, which is a bargain comparing to the ones here in Atlanta. What are the catholic elementary schools that have excellent reputations and are in good neighborhoods? We would be happy to send our children to public, however, if catholic schools are so affordable, we would rather do so. Are there any that are less than $6-7K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 03:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoBGH View Post
Are there any that are less than $6-7K?
Definitely. Catholic elementary schools cost much less than Catholic high schools. You get discounts for multiple children too.

Since Pittsburgh is has a large percentage of Catholics, there are many Catholic elementary school options.

Give me some ideas of if you want to live in the city or the suburbs and I'll give you a list of the best Catholic elementary schools in the appropriate area!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:08 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
Just to give an example, St Bedes in Point Breeze is in a nice part of the City and is popular with local parents. According to their website. Catholic tuition for one child is $3300 (heavily discounted for additional children), and non-Catholic (or Catholics from other parishes with school space available) tuition is $4260.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:01 PM

Thanks for replies. Wow, $3-4k range is unbelievable coming from Atlanta. My husband is from the burgh, and I am from Japan but I went to Pitt so I know the city quite well. As our children are half asian, I thought being close to the city might fit well for us, however, we are quite open to any good safe neighborhoods. It would be ideal to be have easy accesses to family friendly parks, family athletic club with tennis courts, biking trails, good restaurants and excellent public schools in case we choose public school instead. Living in different cities in the past 10 years, I cannot think of better place to live and to raise children. And people in Pittsburgh are so friendly and ''real''. I personally like newer homes so it would be nice to be in the new/young neighborhood. We are in our late 30s. Kids are 4 and 6. Thanks so much.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM

You'll have to move farther away from the city to be in new home, young family neighborhood. Look into Cranberry Township.

Consider Aquinas Academy. It's more expensive than St. Bedes, but it's K-12.

Aquinas Academy of Pittsburgh, a PreK through Grade 12, Private, Catholic School, Home Page

Aquinas is an outstanding Catholic school.

Pennsylvania law requires public school districts to provide free transportation for private school students who attend schools within 10 miles from the district borders if the district provides transportation to public school students. Most districts in the area do provide transportation except Mt. Lebanon. All students living in Mt. Lebanon, whether they attend public or private school, do not get transportation to school.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 AM

809 posts, read 2,399,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtoBGH View Post
Thanks for replies. Wow, $3-4k range is unbelievable coming from Atlanta. My husband is from the burgh, and I am from Japan but I went to Pitt so I know the city quite well. As our children are half asian, I thought being close to the city might fit well for us, however, we are quite open to any good safe neighborhoods. It would be ideal to be have easy accesses to family friendly parks, family athletic club with tennis courts, biking trails, good restaurants and excellent public schools in case we choose public school instead. Living in different cities in the past 10 years, I cannot think of better place to live and to raise children. And people in Pittsburgh are so friendly and ''real''. I personally like newer homes so it would be nice to be in the new/young neighborhood. We are in our late 30s. Kids are 4 and 6. Thanks so much.

I'd also recommend looking at Summerset at Frick Park. It's a community of new homes built in the city limits. It feeds into Allderdice High School, and is close to CMU, Pitt, and all the restaurants and cultural amenities of Pittsburgh's East End. It's literally built right into Frick Park. Frick Park is enormous and includes tennis courts, bike trails, and hiking trails.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for the good information. It's good to know about the transportation law as well. That is a great deal! It seems Aquinas Academy has a really good reputation. It seems a bit far from the city, but I've heard cranberry is growing so fast that I may even like the are. Thanks for the info. on Summerset. It seems like an ideal neighborhood for us. I like the side walks and variety of the homes. Is Frick Park safe neighborhood? I thought it was not that ''great'' 10 years ago when I lived there, but I guess everything is getting better in the city. Thanks so much again.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM

I only recommended Aquinas if you were planning to live in the northern suburbs. Cranberry is full of newer housing and lots of young families.

I'm not sure if Summerset is filled with young families. Someone else will have to give you info on that.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,857,468 times
Statistically, the neighborhoods around Frick Park tend to have among the lowest crime rates in the City.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Hi BrianTH and Hopes,
Thank you so much for the info. I think we are going to move there. Pitttsbugh has such a good school system, hospitals, low crime rate and so much culture. And Steelers. We moved out of the city because of my husband's job, ended up in Atlanta. We will def. look into cranberry and frick park. I really like summerset concept. Perhaps there are places like that in cranberry or wexford area. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh