Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
From weather.com:

I'm worried about even more tree branches down. How much snow can roofs hold?
Depends on the type of roof you have. The steeper the better. Some ranch-style houses are at a disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When I stopped at the store to buy dinner for tonight, the junk food isle was empty. I thought that was funny. Who would stock up on junk food for a storm?
I dunno, that kinda makes sense. You can eat it without cooking, important if the power goes out.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 AM

46 posts, read 100,052 times
Food is disappearing fast, I was shocked when I got out to get some food, wow...never seen anything like that!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When I stopped at the store to buy dinner for tonight, the junk food isle was empty. I thought that was funny. Who would stock up on junk food for a storm?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I dunno, that kinda makes sense. You can eat it without cooking, important if the power goes out.
During the '93 blizzard I was living in State College and didn't know the storm was coming until the night before. (I was 26 and working two jobs and just had not paid any attention to the news at all.) So I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work at close to midnight and the shelves were totally decimated of any essentials. I ended up with chips, salsa and margarita mix. Which came in handy at the impromptu apartment building party we ended up having since we were snowed in for two days. So chips and salsa are actually on my snow storm survival list. For sentimental reasons if not practical ones.

Anyway, that is funny that it was totally empty. Maybe it was cleared out because of the Super Bowl and the store hadn't restocked.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:33 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Tirade wrote:
Honestly, I don't know anyone can believe in global warming when the experts can't even predict a snow storm 24 hours in advance.
I can see where you're coming from if you just focus locally or even on the US as a whole. However, there are other parts of the planet experiencing ABOVE normal temperatures as we bemoan the snow. My friends in different parts of Canada are talking about the unusually warm winter in that part of the world.....right next door to us ( I'm sure we'll hear alot more about this during the upcoming winter olympic games in Vancouver ). Global warming, or whatever you want to call it, is a global phenomena....not a local one. Even during global warming there are abberations from the norm just as there always have been.
I have to agree with you about Canada, many places up there have snowpack, but it is much below average.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:04 PM

78 posts, read 137,044 times
Default This will be a minor snow event

This follow up snow will be no where near the last storm. The local weather heads are saying 4-8 inches by tomorrow eve.. I would certainly go on the lesser side with this one. Make my day ! 4.97 inches will be the storm total !! Tada... Why you ask ? The Gulf of Mexico is not sending crazy amounts of moisture north like the past storm. Hence not as much moisture in the air. Heck, this is a minor snow.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
What did the local weather heads say for the last one? Just wondering. I don't watch them. I remember that the NWS Winter Storm Warning last I had checked on Friday said 8-14 inches. We got 20. NWS Winter Storm Warning today says 6-10 inches. Will they overpredict this time? Hehe.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM

354 posts, read 475,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizowner00 View Post
This follow up snow will be no where near the last storm. The local weather heads are saying 4-8 inches by tomorrow eve.. I would certainly go on the lesser side with this one. Make my day ! 4.97 inches will be the storm total !! Tada... Why you ask ? The Gulf of Mexico is not sending crazy amounts of moisture north like the past storm. Hence not as much moisture in the air. Heck, this is a minor snow.
Granted after 21 inches or so, 4-8 (or 8-14) or whatever might not seem like much, but its still going to throw a major wrench in things. Don't forget that it was dry before the last storm and this one will be on top of 15+ inches still on the ground. For me, the question is, can I get out of my alley, or not? If I can't, then it really doesnt matter if its 8 or 21, it still completely screws my ability to move about.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:38 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
What did the local weather heads say for the last one? Just wondering. I don't watch them. I remember that the NWS Winter Storm Warning last I had checked on Friday said 8-14 inches. We got 20. NWS Winter Storm Warning today says 6-10 inches. Will they overpredict this time? Hehe.
When I last watched them, they were way lower than what we actually got. Now, I had to hit the road shortly after the earliest broadcasts on Friday afternoon, and never got back until it was long since over, so I don't know how they adjusted, but what they were saying then was in the neighborhood of 8".

NWS was a lot closer, but still low.

Thus far today, the NWS had us at 2-4 accumulation during the day, and the "day" is darn near over, and we don't have much of anything yet, so who knows...

Also, this one is probably going to be much fluffier. The last one started out as some of the heaviest snow that you can call "snow", rather than "slush". 8" of this is probably only going to equal 3" of that, in terms of actual water content...

Old 02-09-2010, 03:12 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I survived the doctor's appointment. Seems like this storm was all hype. The roads were fine all afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh