Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:17 PM

118 posts, read 282,263 times

Advertisements

We're all dead. We're supposed to get another storm, which means we're screwed beyond belief. Oh boy, I knew a winter like this was coming. People in Pittsburgh just love to spice up the reality of our winters....now it's time to pay the piper. Be careful what you wish for, Yinzers. Now we're all gonna freeze to death and the snow won't melt until October...Then winter will arrive again.

Seriously though, I've never seen this much snow in my life. How long will this take to melt? Do yinz think the grass will still be covered in March? That would suck. I'm looking forward to green grass and the little plants and flowers popping up. That stuff starts happening in March. Please tell me I'll see that this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:07 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,078 times
Let's just hope this snow doesn't melt rapidly, or Pittsburgh would then be doomed.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 AM

441 posts, read 766,165 times
The Weather Service has just given up completely at this point:

Quote:
A strong storm system moving into the Ohio Valley Tuesday will
bring snow and possible mixed precipitation Tuesday morning into
Wednesday. Snow accumulations of 6 inches or greater are
possible. There is still much uncertainty with the exact track and
timing of the storm... both of which will greatly affect snowfall
accumulations.
Honestly, I don't know anyone can believe in global warming when the experts can't even predict a snow storm 24 hours in advance.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Growing up in Michigan, we got snows like this all the time . . . it really isn't the Apocalypse. A week of high-30s or above will wipe it all out, so yes, March will still be March.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:58 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
Let's just hope this snow doesn't melt rapidly, or Pittsburgh would then be doomed.
This snow and it's effects are going to be long lasting for sure.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Texas is looking much nicer everyday...

Old 02-08-2010, 06:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Isn't the new storm only bringing 4 more inches?

The OP is wrong about Pittsburghers spicing up the truth about our winters.

We always tell people that winter is rather mild in the immediate Pittsburgh area and worse in the surrounding mountains and the snow belt to the north.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
The Weather Service has just given up completely at this point:
That verbiage is not uncommon in those forecast discussions. For this last event, the NWS was a little low in their forecast, but the local TV mets were waaay low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirade View Post
Honestly, I don't know anyone can believe in global warming when the experts can't even predict a snow storm 24 hours in advance.
I have a friend in Perth, Australia, and he recently complained to me that they've had an unprecedented run of 100+ degree days.

Back to the current issue...

Even when you can move the snow, as with a plow, there needs to be someplace for it to go. The problem with an event like this one, here, as opposed to somewhere that frequently sees multilple foot accumulations, is that the resources don't exist to deal with it. Those kind of places will, for instance, use machine mounted snow blowers to blow snow directly into dump trucks, so that it can be hauled away. That stuff costs money. Would you want your municipality to buy a bunch of those, and then have them sit idle for 15 years at a time?

On edit, in reply to Hopes:

Quote:
Only?? 4 more fresh inches on top of what's still uncleared will makes things even more impassable. And, as said above, there's just no damn place to put any more...

Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
I'm more concerned with the potential of sleet/ice mixed in with the snow. The ramifications on already stressed trees and roofs could be dangerous.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Probably, although I believe they were still saying around 6 inches for this last storm at this point in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh