Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,807,584 times

Advertisements

Been here a few days already, and sadly here is what I have already seen:

a) Was admiring a beautiful flower garden in South Park, very interactive with lots of pamphlets, when some jacka-- pulls up, jumps out of his pickup, cuts off several of the roses, before jumping back in his car and skidding away.

b) Was taking a stroll along the north side after the Steelers game, when I noticed some drunk idiot tossed his beer can right into the river.

c) All the hiking trails I have been on so far have been littered with trash and empty soda bottles and many of them have been torn up by horses and mountain bikes.

There does seem to be a lot of nature around here, but none of it really seems to be pristine. Maybe I am just having a bad string of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:08 PM

268 posts, read 383,818 times
It sounds like you've been exploring the outdoor areas in the city...if you're looking for pristine, try something like Ohiopyle...

Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,179,764 times
It doesn't sound like you are looking in the right places. In the city, check out Frick Park. There are some mountain biking trails but for the most part the trails are well maintained and trash free. Or head up to Hartwood Acres. Lots of great places to get into the woods, they just aren't always easy to find.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 PM

461 posts, read 746,128 times
Not to be an apologist for my beloved city, but the trash here is far less than many other areas. I frequently gripe about the trash that I pick up almost every day (I live across the street from a grocery store, and a lot of kids walk by my house on their way to school), but still: way, way less than any neighborhood in Philly. I kayak and really have to search for trash to pick out of the water - in Philly, I took an extra kayak with me and frequently filled my "trash boat" when I was in the Heinz Refuge.

I hope that you try the recommendations from the other posters; this is such a lovely area, and trash makes me sick as well, hence my willingness to pick it up when I see it. And I'm glad that I rarely see an actual person littering, because I'd probably lose my head and end up in jail.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,800,727 times
You could head over to the Phipps Conservatory in Schenley Park and smell the orchids, rest under the bananas, or just hang out with a broad variety of plants. It's certainly not wild, but it's definitely well-curated and warmer than the outside during winter.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,942,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
Not to be an apologist for my beloved city, but the trash here is far less than many other areas.
Like where? Detroit? Sorry, but Pittsburgh has always had a major and well-known litterbug problem.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,695,729 times
If you think that's bad you've never been to McKinley Park. The trash at the end of their "canal" was so bad this year they had to bring a bulldozer in to clean it because there was so much trash that it was blocking the storm drain and causing flooding. Check out the hill sides for even more fun trash surprises.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,990,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post

a) Was admiring a beautiful flower garden in South Park, very interactive with lots of pamphlets, when some jacka-- pulls up, jumps out of his pickup, cuts off several of the roses, before jumping back in his car and skidding away.
What a jerk! I've never heard of adults doing something like that. I've seen little kids pick flowers from a public garden to give to their moms for mother's day, but that's about it--and it was because they were too young to know better. Let me guess, he did something jerky like steal flowers so he could apologize for doing some other jerky thing....

Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,546,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Like where? Detroit? Sorry, but Pittsburgh has always had a major and well-known litterbug problem.
I agree. Pittsburgh has more litter than other places I've lived.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,361,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I agree. Pittsburgh has more litter than other places I've lived.
Co-signed. I witness people littering here on a regular basis. From a man who just dropped his empty fitness water bottle onto the sidewalk in front of me while walking with his children (great example to be showing them) to the constant stream of people who throw candy wrappers, fast-food bags, empty cans, and cigarette butts out their car windows (as well as "oppressed" UPMC employees chucking cigarette butts onto the ground all over Oakland), this area has a litterbug epidemic.

I really don't know what to do, either. If I call 911 to report the driver in front of me just threw out their cigarette butt, then isn't that really just tying up a necessary phone line for REAL emergencies? I'd resort to pulling up beside them and screaming out my window at them if I knew that would have any real effect.

I love this city. I truly do. It's just a filthy mess inhabited by many disgusting pigs, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh