Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,629 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are new to Pittsburgh and his birthday is coming up. I'd like to take him out somewhere nice for dinner on a Friday night and could use some recommendations. If there's something for to do before/after dinner that would be a bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Well, what kind of food/experience are you looking for? Family-oriented? Expensive and classy? A gem hole-in-the-wall or a well-known establishment? What kind of food were you thinking of as well?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,228,484 times
Try The Grand Concourse at Station Square.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Nothing wrong with Grand Concourse I guess. It's certainly an unusual room for a restaurant. I was waiting for the OP to come back and say a few more details. There are so many variables. How much are you interested in the food vs the setting? Should it be a certain area of the city for convenience? Is there a maximum price range? Etc.

For example, new to the city means a dinner on Mt Washington wouldn't be a bad thought, although most of the food up there is lousy. One of the better choices up there is Monterey Bay Fish Grotto, but that suggestion isn't as good obviously if you aren't into seafood. http://montereybayfishgrotto.com/

Hyeholde is an interesting (for many it's romantic) setting with good food. It's out towards the airport though. http://hyeholde.com/

I think you probably couldn't go wrong with Eleven, downtown: http://bigburrito.com/eleven/eleven.shtml (broken link)

These are all towards the expensive side. There are good places to go for less than this too. Just don't know what you really have in mind.

If you want really fascinating food from one of the top chefs in town without paying a fortune, Yo Rita on the South Side. Must be a little adventurous with food. http://www.yoritasouthside.com/

What there is to do before or after depends upon what area you choose. Downtown there are generally shows going on at the theaters, or the symphony. Or there might be a hockey game if you want to splurge on the hard to get (without paying $$$) tix. There could be a gallery crawl down there as well. Since we have nothing to go on, these ideas are all over the place. In various areas there are bars or clubs of different sorts. (Not so much my thing, so can't recommend.) Phipps Conservatory is open on Friday nights, and you could find a place in Oakland/Shadyside to eat. The Carnegie Museum of Art/Natural History is open on *Thursday* nights if that is of interest.

Who knows? This post could be totally useless because of what you're looking for, or totally helpful.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
I can't agree with recommending the Hyeholde. It USED to be good, and the setting is quite romantic, but, IMHO, it is now VERY overpriced, and the food's not that good, certainly considering the high cost.
I believe the restaurant has undergone at least one or more ownership changes in the last few years, to it's detriment.
Don't get me wrong; I used to love this restaurant, and I even proposed to my wife there, but I would not venture there now.
Also, regarding Monterrey Bay Fish Grotto; the fresh seafood is very good, but in the past few years, they have raised their prices signficantly, and their wine prices have skyrocketed. Perhaps they need to pay for their new location in Tysons Corner, VA.
My wife and visit the restaurant 5-6 times a year. Now, I refuse to pay their prices. Nice view, though.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 AM

I give Yo Rita a thumbs down. The food is good, but over-priced. I ordered two tacos and it came out to like $10. Maybe I have a big appetite, but I could have eaten fifteen of those things. That would have been what....$75 to be satiated at that place? Rip-off.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 AM

22 posts, read 40,136 times
Let me chime in with a few recommendations at the eleventh hour here... Some of my favorites as a newcomer to Pittsburgh have been:

Eleven (Strip District)
Nine on Nine (downtown)
Sonoma Grille (downtown.....atmosphere is blah but the food is delicious)
Kaya (Strip District)
Ibiza (tapas joint in South Side)

All great for celebratory dinners! Still haven't made it to Mt. Washington for a single meal...and I hear I'm not missing much.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I can't agree with recommending the Hyeholde. It USED to be good, and the setting is quite romantic, but, IMHO, it is now VERY overpriced, and the food's not that good, certainly considering the high cost.
I believe the restaurant has undergone at least one or more ownership changes in the last few years, to it's detriment.
Don't get me wrong; I used to love this restaurant, and I even proposed to my wife there, but I would not venture there now.
Also, regarding Monterrey Bay Fish Grotto; the fresh seafood is very good, but in the past few years, they have raised their prices signficantly, and their wine prices have skyrocketed. Perhaps they need to pay for their new location in Tysons Corner, VA.
My wife and visit the restaurant 5-6 times a year. Now, I refuse to pay their prices. Nice view, though.
Everything on Mt Washington is degrees of mediocrity. You pay for the view. Period. The one exception is perhaps Isabela, but even that would not be such a standout if it were not up there amongst all the crap. You go up there for the view, the food is secondary. Prices go up, that's life. The prices look in line to me for where they are. Better to pay them there than Georgetowne Inn, Tin Angel or the other crap on Grandview, as the food is better.

Hyeholde has not had any recent ownership changes that I'm aware of. Chef change, perhaps, I can't remember. It's not always inventive but should be reasonably solid. But if it's top food you're after it's not the place. Hyeholde is almost as much about atmosphere as Mt Washington.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I give Yo Rita a thumbs down. The food is good, but over-priced. I ordered two tacos and it came out to like $10. Maybe I have a big appetite, but I could have eaten fifteen of those things. That would have been what....$75 to be satiated at that place? Rip-off.

Over priced???? You make it sound like you went in there expecting Taco Bell. "I ordered two tacos and it was $10." But yeah, what was in them? 20 cents worth of ground meat? No.

I have a good appetite, and I ordered a second taco after having a pretty generous bowl of soup and the first one, plus the chips and salsa they bring. I was full after that. Indeed I remember being too full.

Read the menu for what's in those things. For the $4-6 that the tacos cost, I was surprised at how much was piled on them actually. For the actual thought that goes into the combinations and the quality ingredients, it's well priced.

Perhaps you went there before the changeover? If so, it was no standout then. I believe Kevin Sousa's menu changes came online long about August or September.

It's not a place to go if your idea of a good meal is Applebee's, though.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Hey, like I said, it was good. I got the tuna or swordfish taco thingee and I forget the other. I remember it being more a snack than an actual meal. But, I tend to eat a lot of food (even though I'm a scrawny guy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh