Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:26 PM

19 posts, read 25,830 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here live in or know anyone who lives in zelienople? We’re considering a move there next summer, and would like some information on what it’s like there for a family. We have three kids all elementary age or younger. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 01:54 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Zelienople is great. Very quiet and convenient to many things. The houses are a bit old and too close together for my taste but if I didn’t live in Cranberry I’d take a hard look at trying to find a place I liked in Zelie.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:04 PM

19 posts, read 25,830 times
Cranberry is also a contender. We’re coming from Mt. Lebanon so we thought we might enjoy the walkability of zelienople. I’ll have to check out some of the houses since we’re not interested in a house as old as we have here. Thanks for your reply!

Old 09-20-2018, 02:31 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
One of the great town names in PA.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:05 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Zelie is a rather charming town with the added bonus of having the most amazing candy store just as you enter town from Route 19. (Baldinger's Food From All Nations). It's definitely *not* comparable in the least to Mt. Lebanon, though--neither in school district nor housing stock nor in the general income/educational levels of the residents. Some of that has changed with the Cranberry sprawl moving further northward and with the presence of (what used to be) North Catholic in Seven Fields (the elementary school is on the corner of 228 and Franklin Road), but if a new(er) house is what you're seeking, it's likely that you'll have to sacrifice the convenience of being able to walk from your house to the movie theatre, etc. to find it in one of the developments in the area or a house that was built on a scattered lot (there are quite a few of the latter).

When my former husband and I were selling our house in Cranberry, we seriously considered several homes in Zelienople due to its close proximity to our work at the time, his family and not least of all because its charm and walkability. (I'm also a sucker for old houses. :-) ) We also thought that it would be a great place to raise "free range kids" in much that way that we'd been brought up. The town just has that sort of feel. In the end, we ended up buying a house on the the other side of 228 from where we had lived in Cranberry to Seven Fields because there was little available in Zelie that suited our needs by the time our Cranberry house finally went under contract.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,709,101 times
[quote= In the end, we ended up buying a house on the the other side of 228 from where we had lived in Cranberry to Seven Fields because there was little available in Zelie that suited our needs by the time our Cranberry house finally went under contract.[/QUOTE]

Seven Fields is surprisingly walkable and is all lined with sidewalks.

You can walk to the following from all of the seven fields neighborhoods:

Giant Eagle, Rite Aid/Walgreens, Doublewide Grill, the Shops at Adams Ridge, Hines Ward's Table 86/Vines by Hines, Sunoco, the Shops at Signature Plaza, the swimming pool / town park, Brusters Ice Cream, Vet hospital, Daycare, and there is a new development planned for the empty lot across from Brusters on 228.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Zelie is a rather charming town with the added bonus of having the most amazing candy store just as you enter town from Route 19. (Baldinger's Food From All Nations). It's definitely *not* comparable in the least to Mt. Lebanon, though--neither in school district nor housing stock nor in the general income/educational levels of the residents. Some of that has changed with the Cranberry sprawl moving further northward and with the presence of (what used to be) North Catholic in Seven Fields (the elementary school is on the corner of 228 and Franklin Road), but if a new(er) house is what you're seeking, it's likely that you'll have to sacrifice the convenience of being able to walk from your house to the movie theatre, etc. to find it in one of the developments in the area or a house that was built on a scattered lot (there are quite a few of the latter).

When my former husband and I were selling our house in Cranberry, we seriously considered several homes in Zelienople due to its close proximity to our work at the time, his family and not least of all because its charm and walkability. (I'm also a sucker for old houses. :-) ) We also thought that it would be a great place to raise "free range kids" in much that way that we'd been brought up. The town just has that sort of feel. In the end, we ended up buying a house on the the other side of 228 from where we had lived in Cranberry to Seven Fields because there was little available in Zelie that suited our needs by the time our Cranberry house finally went under contract.
Do you remember when Baldinger's was on the left side (heading north) of the highway before it was relocated? THAT was an awesome store. My kids love Baldinger's.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:02 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Home of the "Mighty Connoquenessing Creek". Ask Uncle Harry about it. (If anyone knows Uncle Harry you win first prize..!)

Old 09-21-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Seven Fields is surprisingly walkable and is all lined with sidewalks.

You can walk to the following from all of the seven fields neighborhoods:

Giant Eagle, Rite Aid/Walgreens, Doublewide Grill, the Shops at Adams Ridge, Hines Ward's Table 86/Vines by Hines, Sunoco, the Shops at Signature Plaza, the swimming pool / town park, Brusters Ice Cream, Vet hospital, Daycare, and there is a new development planned for the empty lot across from Brusters on 228.
I used to walk to the Giant Eagle when I lived in Seven Fields; when I lived in Cranberry, my former husband and I used to walk to get ice cream at Bruster's. (We lived in a weird nub of Cranberry that was in between Seven Fields and Marshall Township--we could have, quite literally, thrown a baseball into Allegheny County from our yard. ) We watched them build the townhouses behind the Shops at Adams Ridge from our back deck when they were being built. Before they were constructed, our Cranberry house overlooked a grassy, green hollow surrounded by woods. Those townhouses, oddly enough, were cited as a major reason to not buy our house by several potential buyers--go figure.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Do you remember when Baldinger's was on the left side (heading north) of the highway before it was relocated? THAT was an awesome store. My kids love Baldinger's.
I do! The old Baldinger's closed the year after I moved to Cranberry, though. My former husband grew up in the Callery/Mars/Valencia area. My late mother-in-law is the one who introduced me the store. It was her go-to place for Christmas and Easter candy when her kids were growing up. I still stop by there when I'm in the area to get my licorice fix (and to shop for new cookie cutters as their selection of cutters is nearly as awesome as their huge variety of candy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh