Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 AM

10,220 posts, read 16,728,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Passenger traffic at Pittsburgh International Airport increased 12 percent in February compared to February 2010, the biggest monthly gain in nearly nine years, the Allegheny County Airport Authority said Wednesday.
It was the 11th straight month that airport traffic increased compared to the same month a year earlier -- and the biggest jump since September 2002. A gain that month was attributed largely to a sharp drop in traffic a year earlier -- after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
Pittsburgh airport's passenger traffic soars - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:28 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,931,605 times
Seems like the airport is regaining its footing after USAir went belly-up. Now it's an airport that meets local demand rather than funneling connecting passengers from one place to another. And the O&D traffic has increased, probably because fares have gone down now that there is competition. And maybe the improving economy is helping, plus the expansion of local companies like Westinghouse and dare I say it, the energy sector?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,869,081 times
Yeah, I wonder how much of that is Marcellus workers going back and forth.

Anyway, I agree the airport is actually working quite well in terms of serving local needs. It is just the nagging issue of construction debt that is a problem.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,403,778 times
The Pittsburgh airport was always the cheapest airport to fly into or out of in the state and region when I went to PSU. You'd think that would help PIT traffic.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:56 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,759,954 times
Passenger traffic certainly looks up to me. I flew out on vacation Thursday morning around 6am 2 weeks ago and the security line was the longest I've ever seen it by far. People were literally lined up hundreds deep and the line went out the door. Luckily, I discovered the alternate checkpoint upstairs and I didn't have to wait for 2 hours in line. But it was a madhouse.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 AM

570 posts, read 1,406,449 times
Default Los Angeles Service being cut

United the sole non stop provider to the West Coast announces reducing it's non stop service to the nation's second largest market, Los Angeles. Eliminating flights on three days out of the week. Citing a lack of bookings on certain days combined with higher fuel cost led to the ax of Pittsburgh-LA Non Stop service on certain days.
One thing Pittsburgh international officials have become proficient with is sugar coating the obvious. Using the usual suspect ( Philadelphia International ) and Baltimore as examples of United eliminating non stop service to Los Angeles to soften the fact Pittsburgh can't support daily non stop service across the country. In reality both Philly and Baltimore have at least two other carriers offering daily non stop service between those markets. Where as despite growing passenger numbers, Pittsburgh International still remains a microcosm of it's former self and struggles to maintain traffic on many routes. Perhaps with South West and Air Tran combining and using smaller aircraft than United, Pittsburgh will pick up a daily non stop between PIT and LAX.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 AM

Default Anyone Fly out of Latrobe on Spirit Airlines ?

Has anyone flown out of (LBE) Latrobe Arnold Palmer Regional to Fort Lauderdale or Myrtle Beach on Spirit's new non stop service ? Free on site airport parking, small scale facility and a good italian restaurant inside the terminal are pleasant aspects of flying out of this facility. Obviously for eastern burb folks the closeness of LBE is a big factor vs PIT.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,538,456 times
They didn't cut the San Francisco though right? United has more of a hub in SFO than LAX.

I wondered how those were doing. Reality is, not enough call all days of the week for the LAX, that's not too surprising to me. Plus, they charge a huge premium for those. I flew on the SFO-PIT last fall but I had booked an award flight, and that was actually not my favored routing (because I was coming from Vegas, LOL; didn't try hard enough to get it switched, was rejected downstairs but should have tried again out at the gate).

You couldn't pay me to fly Spirit. Might as well be flying Ryanair.

In fact, I'm so fed up with the security BS that although I'm holding some nice cheap tix to BOS on JetBlue (bought before fuel started going way up) I'm 99% sure I'm going to bag it and drive despite the rising cost of gas.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Default PIT-LAX Reductions

Greg,your correct in that the SFO flight (s) are not being touched while the LAX flight is reduced.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:26 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,336,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Has anyone flown out of (LBE) Latrobe Arnold Palmer Regional to Fort Lauderdale or Myrtle Beach on Spirit's new non stop service ? Free on site airport parking, small scale facility and a good italian restaurant inside the terminal are pleasant aspects of flying out of this facility. Obviously for eastern burb folks the closeness of LBE is a big factor vs PIT.
I love this airport. I didn't know they were flying anywhere after the last big airline left a couple of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh