Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 AM

675 posts, read 2,090,259 times

Advertisements

My story about how I fell in love with Pittsburgh:

I grew up in Greensburg, a small town about 45 minutes southeast of Pittsburgh, and while it was a great little town with almost anything you could want for a town its size (about 160,000 people) I wanted nothing more than to leave the area when it came time to look for colleges. I was considering UCLA, NYU and The University of Colorado. I ended up at the University of Colorado in Boulder, and loved attending school there, but there was something that the Denver area lacked. The mountains were beautiful, the weather was great, but overall I didn't feel at home there.

When I graduated and began looking for jobs and houses, I realized that the difference between how much I would make as an entry-level programmer and the cost of living was outrageous.

My mother, in an effort to get me looking at Pittsburgh again, would from time to time send me articles about how hot this neighborhood was in Pittsburgh, called the "South Side." I visited Pittsburgh a couple times, and each time we strolled around Mt. Washington and the South Side looking for prospective houses, and I was stunned by how interesting and communal the South Side was. Everything you could want is right there on Carson St.!

I ended up purchasing a house on the South Side Slopes -- an area of the South Side up on the hill overlooking the city and the river -- and couldn't be happier where I am. Everyone in the slopes are as friendly as can be, there is a real sense of community with all kinds of events and organizations, and I am so close to the city! I walk to the T station on First Ave. and take it to anywhere downtown for free, and I can ride my bike anywhere with all the amazing bike paths. I can walk to the Penguins games, ride my bike to the Steelers and Pirates games, I kayak on the rivers with my kayak I bought at the REI on the South Side (if you haven't kayaked on the rivers around Pittsburgh yet you are missing out! It is GORGEOUS), and I can look out over the beautiful skyline of Pittsburgh every night from my back deck.

I honestly don't understand how Pittsburgh still has the negative image that it does, it is the perfect little city -- Especially for twenty-somethings looking for urban adventures! (By the way, I believe Pittsburgh was ranked among the top cities in America for urban adventures)

So, take it from me, if you are looking for a place to live with all kinds of great things to do, Pittsburgh is your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:09 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,041,993 times
Bravo! Glad to hear it!

Quote:
if you haven't kayaked on the rivers around Pittsburgh yet you are missing out! It is GORGEOUS
My brother and dad were very big on kayaking in the rivers, it was quite a regular hobby for them. I was a bit young at the time, but did go out a few times myself!!
Quote:
By the way, I believe Pittsburgh was ranked among the top cities in America for urban adventures
National Geographic ranked us numeral uno.

Quote:
how hot this neighborhood was in Pittsburgh, called the "South Side."
I lived in the SouthSide for almost 3 years, as well - on the flats at SouthSide Works. I loved every single second of it and young kids were CONSTANTLY up and down the street, day in and day out. I would love to go back, but my parents own a really great condo in the city that is only a few blocks from Duquesne. I am definitely happy here, too. But I think all young people should live in the SouthSide for a time. Some claim the SouthSide is just a big drunken mess of a place, but that's only true if you go looking for it. I participated in the SouthSide clean-up for two years, where all the locals went outdoors and cleaned up the trash etc. I was at Fat Heads a LOT for wings with a very respectable and young professional crowd. I've gotten classy drinks at Tiki and Lava Lounge. I've shopped at all the interesting boutique's and eaten at some of the fine restaurants and the little dives that have the best food. If you want "drunken mess" you can find it, but I never wanted it and I honestly think the SouthSide offered me more than "them."

Not to mention the SouthSide Works has been incredibly successful and their isn't an ounce of "drunken mess" or "trash" there. American Eagle is about to open their headquraters there! WooT!

Last edited by guylocke; 05-31-2007 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I participated in the SouthSide clean-up for two years
Awesome! I've been here for two years and have done it both years, its a great way to meet people! This year over 300 people showed up, almost all of them in their 20s. Hooray for South Side!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,013,066 times
The population you quoted for Greensburg seems a tad high. I suspect it is closer to 16,000 people at least according to the latest census figures.

While I am not a 20 something I suspect Pittsburgh is a much better place to be one than in Kansas City. At least the 20 something's I've talked to in your region are pleasant and don't seem to have much of an attitude like they do in Kansas City.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:06 PM

25 posts, read 135,280 times
I am going to have to politely disagree that this place is great for 20 somethings. I suppose if you are looking to get drunk and laid, then yes this town is excellent for that, but aside from the bars there isn't a whole lot to do here after 7pm.

This town was also rated the worst for singles.
2002 (broken link)
2005 (broken link) We ranked higher because they changed how their system ranked. Nothing actually changed in Pittsburgh.

Edit: Greensburg only has 15569 according to city-data. It lost people in 5 years like the whole Pittsburgh area.

Last edited by birdlady; 05-31-2007 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: link to city data

Old 05-31-2007, 05:48 PM

I think it is a little ridiculous to say how great Pittsburgh is for 20 somethings when there are studies that show the opposite.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:12 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,879,981 times
Good for you, Gallacus. Nice to reconnect with a place & see it from a fresh angle. I've done the same & will be returning to my hometown in NEPA soon. When I return, it's always nice to see some stars, smell some fresh air & enjoy peace, quiet & friendly folks. Best of luck to you in your new PGH home... VV

Old 05-31-2007, 11:03 PM

I am 23. Moderator cut: orphaned This town does not have a very nice nightlife. The other problem is that the suburbs of this town die at 9pm, which is not much of a "nightlife" to me.

Station Square is fun the first 2 times you go there. After walking around for 15 minutes, you have seen it all. The Waterfront is nice for about an hour and a half, but I am not much of a shopper. The problem with both of these places is that it depends on having nice weather.

Pittsburgh should never had built anything that is completely dependent upon warm and dry weather. These types of malls only really work out west.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,679,689 times
Moderator cut: personal comments
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlady View Post
This town does not have a very nice nightlife. The other problem is that the suburbs of this town die at 9pm, which is not much of a "nightlife" to me.
But you live outside of a town that only has 14,000 people so you can't possibly know what it's like to live right in Southside as a 20 something.

There's a huge difference between coming into Pittsburgh for a night on the town, and living right in the middle of it like Gallacus.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Moderator cut: personal comments/orphaned

Quote:
This town does not have a very nice nightlife. The other problem is that the suburbs of this town die at 9pm, which is not much of a "nightlife" to me.
I am speaking of the city itself; I thought the whole point of a suburb was to be a quiet escape from city life. If you want night life, come to the city, and if you can't find something to do at night in Pittsburgh, you are crazy. What exactly is it that you are looking for that you can't find?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh