Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times

Advertisements

I think many people seriously mis-interpreted the purpose of the article. First of all, it was not written by a columnist, rather a regular Pittsburgher like you and I.

Second, it was not meant in any way to be a scientific disproval of the statistics posted by the NWS, only to make an anecdotal observation that was to suggest that statistics are not everything. In other words, if what you like is a beautiful sunny day, you will get (or at least got in 2006) 145 of them in Pittsburgh -- you just wont be able to chalk it up as a sunny day 86 of those days since there are a few puffy white clouds in the sky.

For example, I was kayaking for 5 straight hours last week when the weather conditions were listed as partly cloudy all day, but I got sunburnt as all hell! Not bad in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
gallacus, et all: I was with you all the way until this:
Quote:
you just wont be able to chalk it up as a sunny day 86 of those days since there are a few puffy white clouds in the sky.
If you look up the NWS definitions, you will see that "a few puffy white clouds" are within the definition of a clear day, e.g. 0 -30% cloud cover. It's those gray, overcast days of 90% cloud cover that are the issue. And yes, you can get a sunburn through the clouds. Just ask a nurse!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:38 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
Quote:
If you look up the NWS definitions, you will see that "a few puffy white clouds" are within the definition of a clear day, e.g. 0 -30% cloud cover. It's those gray, overcast days of 90% cloud cover that are the issue.
Well, last week when I was on the Yough all day long, I would say there was approximately 50% cloud cover, thus constituting a partly-cloudy day by NWS standards, but in my book not even on the same page as an "overcast day of 90% cloud cover". I wasn't getting sunburnt through the clouds, it was the 50% of the time that I was in direct sunlight that killed me. Its all in your interpretation of the word "few" I guess, maybe a poor choice of words on my part

Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
OK, I hope you had a good time. I, too, have rafted the Yough, and it's a lot of fun!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:17 PM

570 posts, read 1,411,243 times
Hey, the weather is what you make out of it. Some thrive in the rain, some get swept down the drain. Me, well seen, done it, got burned from it..almost drowned because of it. Two of the above happened on Thursday. Got sunburned playing tennis at mid-day and had water up to my door in my car around rush hour. Now that's an active climate !! Yippie Oh yeh, May 31st is PA's worse date as weather goes.. Great Johnstown Flood claims several thousand, and 1985 tornado outbreak in western and nw Pa levels many towns and was one of the strongest eastern twister outbreaks in history. Even a F-5 graced our state that crazy day... Twisssssssssssster.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:55 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Hey, the weather is what you make out of it. Some thrive in the rain, some get swept down the drain. Me, well seen, done it, got burned from it..almost drowned because of it. Two of the above happened on Thursday. Got sunburned playing tennis at mid-day and had water up to my door in my car around rush hour. Now that's an active climate !! Yippie Oh yeh, May 31st is PA's worse date as weather goes.. Great Johnstown Flood claims several thousand, and 1985 tornado outbreak in western and nw Pa levels many towns and was one of the strongest eastern twister outbreaks in history. Even a F-5 graced our state that crazy day... Twisssssssssssster.
And don't forget the bomb threats yesterday that shut down half the city! Not exactly weather related, but that was pretty crazy too...

Old 06-04-2007, 08:50 AM

121 posts, read 367,676 times
Why is the weather such a big deal? We may not have as much sun as the southwest, but I love our variety, not to mention the change of seasons. We may not have as much sun as Florida, but at least we don't get hurricanes.

I am not trying to say our weather is better, just that there are pro's and con's everywhere.

By the way, it seems to me that we have the same weather as the rest of the northeast. What we have today, Philly will probably have tomorrow. We don't exist in a weather bubble, and I don't know why such a big deal is made of our weather in particular.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
By the way, it seems to me that we have the same weather as the rest of the northeast. What we have today, Philly will probably have tomorrow. We don't exist in a weather bubble, and I don't know why such a big deal is made of our weather in particular.
In some ways, we do exist in a weather bubble. The snowbelt doesn't extend over to the eastern side of the state. Most of the precipitation (rain and snow) falls on this side of the mountains before the weather moves eastward.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:05 PM

121 posts, read 367,676 times
Even so, when I look at the radar and weather reports, it seems like we usually have the same weather as the rest of the northeast. When we have bad snow, so does everyone else. When we have cold, so do they. That's just my observation of course, but I don't see the big deal.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
Even so, when I look at the radar and weather reports, it seems like we usually have the same weather as the rest of the northeast. When we have bad snow, so does everyone else. When we have cold, so do they. That's just my observation of course, but I don't see the big deal.
I lived in Harrisburg during my 20s. The weather there is completely different. You might see clouds in the radar, but most of the precipitation from the clouds generally falls before they cross the mountain range. For the record, I love Pittsburgh weather, Gerbil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh