Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 PM

632 posts, read 1,739,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
But where would you rather be? LOL! I love Hawaii (have been to Hilo).
Ok, you know what? I have to agree with you here. (Shocking, I know.)

I'd rather live in Hawaii than Pittsburgh too.

Maybe when I win the lottery...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:22 PM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
Quote:
But where would you rather be? LOL! I love Hawaii (have been to Hilo).
Well, not to sound like a complete fool but I would never move to Hawaii. Its one of those places that I consider great for vacations, but I wouldn't consider it the best place to live. I had two different groups of friends that moved to Hawaii after falling in love with it on vacation and left before they were there a year -- they both said they got 'island fever'

If you're a surf bum though, its heaven on earth.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
Ok, you know what? I have to agree with you here. (Shocking, I know.)

I'd rather live in Hawaii than Pittsburgh too.

Maybe when I win the lottery...
Will wonders ever cease?

gallacus:
Quote:
Well, not to sound like a complete fool but I would never move to Hawaii. Its one of those places that I consider great for vacations, but I wouldn't consider it the best place to live. I had two different groups of friends that moved to Hawaii after falling in love with it on vacation and left before they were there a year -- they both said they got 'island fever'
Everyone knows someone who moved somewhere and didn't like it. Even I know that!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 AM

570 posts, read 1,411,243 times
If you like sun, warm temps and lower humidity then for sure you should be jumping with joy as Pittsburgh is in the middle of one of the better streaks of superb weather as of late.. Good timing with the annual 3 Rivers Arts Fest and The US OPEN Golf Tourney in town.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM

117 posts, read 518,138 times
People out West have to buy bottled water to COOK with!

No thanks.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Angry Aspie People out West have to buy bottled water to COOK with!

No thanks.
I'm not sure where you are referring to. It's certainly not Colorado. Also, the topic is the weather, not the water situation in the west.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
People out West have to buy bottled water to COOK with!

No thanks.
Where out west do people use bottled water to cook with? I live in CA and use tap water as do all my friends and family. I've never heard of such a thing.

A weather related question. How does Pittsburgh's cloudy weather compare with the Sunset District in San Francisco? I grew up there and the joke was "it's called the Sunset because the sun is always set!" It's cold and foggy all summer. I now live in a suburb south of SF whose motto is :Climate best by government test" and I'll admit I am spoiled by the excellent weather. I'm considering a move to Pittsburgh and wonder about the sunny days. If you are familiar with the weather in Sf and in Pitts, please fill me in.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 12:22 AM

83 posts, read 248,557 times
I am famliar with both cities. The weather is completely different in intensity. The Bay Area slides through the seasons mildly with its oceanside changes. Pittsburgh does all four seasons in a much greater extreme. Spring is jungle awsome! Then warm humid rainy/sunny summer. Cool crisp and colored autumn. Winter is cold and rainy, but no major snowfall as in Tahoe, Mammoth, etc.. IMHO The bare trees in April and possible snow on Easter are what people might call call 'depressing'. The weather usually seems to move very quickly. A thunderstorm can be a clear sky within a half hour - and back and forth. Cloud cover is nearly always present, and on the move. That might be somewhat close in similarity? Pittsburgh is small and charming compared the the hectic fast paced freeway world. I should add that friendly people are abundant!

btw - That story about West Coast bottled water is totally rediculous as are many assumptions by people who have never lived here. LOL!

Last edited by tommygoat; 07-26-2007 at 12:32 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 AM

btw - That story about West Coast bottled water is totally rediculous as are many assumptions by people who have never lived here. LOL!

I agree! My kids went to college out of state, were asked many times if they rode a horse or skiied to school!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
Miami only has 74
Orlando has 89
Fort Lauderdale only has 75
I've been in Florida all summer for an internship and let me tell you something, I am nearly CRYING to get back home. It sucks down here so bad (at least in the summer, it does). In the afternoons, it rains so hard I see an average of 2 to 3 car accidents a day, which then often translates into backed up traffic like you can't believe. I hate it down here and the humidity is so terrible that 80 degrees might as well be 110. Everyone just stays in doors and prays to their gods that the A/C doesn't die on them (which happens frequently down here because they run them into the ground).

I hate it, and in fact, many of the locals, do, too. The state of Florida has an ENORMOUS turn around rate - of people from the north desperately moving here for the "weather" and then fleeing from the oppressive heat and cost of living a decade later.

I would say 4 out of 10 people I speak to want OUT of Florida because of the weather and hurricanes. It isn't a majority, but it's a darn lot for how "revered" the weather is down here. Furthermore, most of those people are moving to Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolina's, and guess what? Yep, PENNSYLVANIA.

I MISS HOME

PS. I could also go to the extreme and talk about how Florida may be underwater in less than a century due to global warming (weather you want to believe it's man-made or not is irrelevant). Their average temperatures and hurricane severity have also been on a steady rise for the last decade. Not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh