Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

That's why many elderly who move to Florida keep their homes in Pittsburgh so they can summer here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygoat View Post
I am famliar with both cities. The weather is completely different in intensity. The Bay Area slides through the seasons mildly with its oceanside changes. Pittsburgh does all four seasons in a much greater extreme. Spring is jungle awsome! Then warm humid rainy/sunny summer. Cool crisp and colored autumn. Winter is cold and rainy, but no major snowfall as in Tahoe, Mammoth, etc.. IMHO The bare trees in April and possible snow on Easter are what people might call call 'depressing'. The weather usually seems to move very quickly. A thunderstorm can be a clear sky within a half hour - and back and forth. Cloud cover is nearly always present, and on the move. That might be somewhat close in similarity? Pittsburgh is small and charming compared the the hectic fast paced freeway world. I should add that friendly people are abundant!

btw - That story about West Coast bottled water is totally rediculous as are many assumptions by people who have never lived here. LOL!
Thanks so much for the info. I realize that Pitts has four distinct seasons. But, I was wondering if the summer has more sunny days than the Sunset district in SF which is pretty cold & foggy all summer. It's not unusual to have to wear a coat in July. I was in Pitts last June and it was cool - not cold - & rainy most of the week. the sun did come out and the temperatures were pleasantly mild. How are July & August?

FYI to all those who think the water on the west isn't safe - our local water in most of the Bay Area comes from the Hetch-Hetchy system.. Essentially snowmelt from the Sierra Nevadas. the quality is excellent and tastes way better than most bottled waters.

Julie

Old 07-26-2007, 12:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
You can find all sorts of weather data on www.accuweather.com and Welcome to The Weather Underground : Weather Underground, including historical data, average temps, etc. I know the personal info is better than the stuff on paper, or in this case cyberspace, but you will get some objective stuff that way. Then you can fill in with people's personal opinions. I have worn a jacket to the 4th of July fireworks many a time in Pgh, have also wanted to wear almost nothing some years. We got married in Beaver Falls on August 16; it was too cold to go into the outdoor pool where we were staying, and into L. Erie where we went for our honeymoon. But then it got hot and stayed hot for weeks, according to my mom. Just some tidbits.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Thanks so much for the info. I realize that Pitts has four distinct seasons. But, I was wondering if the summer has more sunny days than the Sunset district in SF which is pretty cold & foggy all summer. It's not unusual to have to wear a coat in July. I was in Pitts last June and it was cool - not cold - & rainy most of the week. the sun did come out and the temperatures were pleasantly mild. How are July & August?

FYI to all those who think the water on the west isn't safe - our local water in most of the Bay Area comes from the Hetch-Hetchy system.. Essentially snowmelt from the Sierra Nevadas. the quality is excellent and tastes way better than most bottled waters.

Julie
This morning, July 27, I actually turned the heat on in my car as I drove to work. It was probably in the high 50s at 6:00am. I think the official "high temp" was somewhere near 80, but it was foggy, misty, breezy, and just felt like there was a chill in the air most of the day to me. I like 98 degree days better than 78 though, so I think I am always just a bit on the "cold-side". Nevertheless, I found myself thinking it felt more like fall than summer until late afternoon today--and that's what I think is most different about our climate than the South or Midwest. We no doubt get many a hot day in summer, but it seem interlaced with "chilly" days as you get into late July and August, whereas Summer seems to last well into September and October in warmer climates. I feel we get 5 months of winter, 3 months of fall, 2 months of spring, and only 2 good months of real summer weather. It snowed on Easter here this year and was 40 degrees in November. That's a 6 month time span of colder weather.

Cap

Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
But, I was wondering if the summer has more sunny days than the Sunset district in SF which is pretty cold & foggy all summer. It's not unusual to have to wear a coat in July. I was in Pitts last June and it was cool - not cold - & rainy most of the week. the sun did come out and the temperatures were pleasantly mild. How are July & August?
July and August can be downright miserable some years. But we've been having a great summer this year. It's very mild. I haven't even turned on my AC yet this year---just tollerated a few miserable days so far. Some mornings it has been downright cold, but it heats up quickly. The late afternoon is the hottest. As I said, it's a mild summer so it's really great weather in the late afternoons. Keep in mind that our cloud cover keeps the sun from beating down on us. It's been sort of rainy lately---or threating to rain but doesn't. Up until a couple of weeks ago, We had a stretch of 3 or 4 weeks that had brilliant sunshine though. I have no idea whta tthe Sunset District is like. But I assure you that you do not have to wear a coat in July in Pittsburgh. Even if it's a chilly morning, you'd be foolish to do so because the temperatures go up quickly. You'd be carrying your coat around all day long. Instead, turn on the car heater like CO.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
You make me miss home even more, Hopes.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:12 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
July and August can be downright miserable some years. But we've been having a great summer this year. It's very mild. I haven't even turned on my AC yet this year---just tollerated a few miserable days so far. Some mornings it has been downright cold, but it heats up quickly. The late afternoon is the hottest. As I said, it's a mild summer so it's really great weather in the late afternoons. Keep in mind that our cloud cover keeps the sun from beating down on us. It's been sort of rainy lately---or threating to rain but doesn't. Up until a couple of weeks ago, We had a stretch of 3 or 4 weeks that had brilliant sunshine though. I have no idea whta tthe Sunset District is like. But I assure you that you do not have to wear a coat in July in Pittsburgh. Even if it's a chilly morning, you'd be foolish to do so because the temperatures go up quickly. You'd be carrying your coat around all day long. Instead, turn on the car heater like CO.
Native San Franciscans always find it amusing to watch the shivering tourists in shorts and tank tops huddled together waiting to get on an open air cable car in July. I remembering my mom telling her family from Salt Lake City to bring jackets. they brought light windbreakers and light sweaters and froze. they told her they didn't she could be serious when she said jackets! Although the temperature is usually in the high 50s - to high 60s, there is often a cold wind and it's foggy. the dampness and the wind make it feel much colder.

Julie

Old 07-28-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Native San Franciscans always find it amusing to watch the shivering tourists in shorts and tank tops huddled together waiting to get on an open air cable car in July. I remembering my mom telling her family from Salt Lake City to bring jackets. they brought light windbreakers and light sweaters and froze. they told her they didn't she could be serious when she said jackets! Although the temperature is usually in the high 50s - to high 60s, there is often a cold wind and it's foggy. the dampness and the wind make it feel much colder.
I assure you that is not the case in Pittsburgh during July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocks
You make me miss home even more, Hopes.
Get your pale self back here ASAP!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:36 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
I've been in Florida all summer for an internship and let me tell you something, I am nearly CRYING to get back home. It sucks down here so bad (at least in the summer, it does). In the afternoons, it rains so hard I see an average of 2 to 3 car accidents a day, which then often translates into backed up traffic like you can't believe. I hate it down here and the humidity is so terrible that 80 degrees might as well be 110. Everyone just stays in doors and prays to their gods that the A/C doesn't die on them (which happens frequently down here because they run them into the ground).

I hate it, and in fact, many of the locals, do, too. The state of Florida has an ENORMOUS turn around rate - of people from the north desperately moving here for the "weather" and then fleeing from the oppressive heat and cost of living a decade later.

I would say 4 out of 10 people I speak to want OUT of Florida because of the weather and hurricanes. It isn't a majority, but it's a darn lot for how "revered" the weather is down here. Furthermore, most of those people are moving to Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolina's, and guess what? Yep, PENNSYLVANIA.

I MISS HOME

PS. I could also go to the extreme and talk about how Florida may be underwater in less than a century due to global warming (weather you want to believe it's man-made or not is irrelevant). Their average temperatures and hurricane severity have also been on a steady rise for the last decade. Not good.
LOL, I'm glad you could experience Florida first hand and understand why it's such an overrated state. Everyone up here gets a look of shock on their face when I say I moved to Pittsburgh from Florida, but now you understand why. Weather is BRUTAL down there. Just unbearable. Everyone in the north seems to think Florida is all sunshine and 80-degree temps, but it is far from it. 95 degree temps with high humidity (heat index of about 110), plus violent thunderstorms every afternoon the entire summer. Awful! And you haven't been through a hurricane yet.

And throw in the high crime, overcrowding, high cost of living, and low wages.....yeah, a real paradise, huh?

By the way, this summer in Pitt has been great. A few rainy days here and there, but for the most part, lots of sun and pleasant temps. Have we even been above 90 yet this year? This is a treat after enduring so many Florida summers.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:52 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
By the way, this summer in Pitt has been great. A few rainy days here and there, but for the most part, lots of sun and pleasant temps. Have we even been above 90 yet this year? This is a treat after enduring so many Florida summers.
Darn u! Darn u all!!!

Last edited by guylocke; 07-29-2007 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh