Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM

10 posts, read 22,242 times

Advertisements

West Carson closes for demolition of burned warehouse - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

These buldings are eyesores that can be seen from all over the North Shore and in the vicinity of The Point. The buildings have been vacant for sometime now. It is time to tear them down. If it was arson, the arsonist had a good idea provided that there was no intent to harm anybody. Of course, I am not condoning arson, but these buildings need to go because they cover up and take away a lot of the greenery from the hillside of Mt. Washington and are just plain ugly. The article states that the middle building will be torn down because it was going to collapse. They may as well get rid of the whole complex. This fire drew attention to this area so lets hope they raze all three buildings.

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc:+84th+...03.89,,0,-9.35

Last edited by Nuwaver; 03-02-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,223,692 times
I bet there were probably a bunch of homeless folks living in there and they accidentally caught it on fire.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 PM

321 posts, read 861,257 times
I'm an urban explorer and that building has been on my to-do list for quite some time, just haven't had a chance to explore it yet. It looks interesting and is in a very scenic spot, being right across from downtown.

It'll be sad to see it go.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
I'm an urban explorer and that building has been on my to-do list for quite some time, just haven't had a chance to explore it yet. It looks interesting and is in a very scenic spot, being right across from downtown.

It'll be sad to see it go.

The fact that is in a scenic spot is why I am glad to see it go and am hoping that the others on each side are soon to follow. I do not like ugly buildings in prominent locations. Ugly buildings in prominent locations=eyesores.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
What is your definition of an ugly building? I agree that those cold storage buildings were nothing special, but they were a part of Pittsburgh's unique industrial past. While those buildings were pretty ugly, there are lots of old abandoned factories on both sides of the river that I think have lots of character and are worth saving somehow. I definitely don't think parking lots look better.

Those buildings were definitely industrial chic, if you will. And they keep the city from resembling some nondescript place like Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwaver View Post
The fact that is in a scenic spot is why I am glad to see it go and am hoping that the others on each side are soon to follow. I do not like ugly buildings in prominent locations. Ugly buildings in prominent locations=eyesores.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:31 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
From the Trib article:

Quote:
West Carson Associates Inc. in Bridgeville bought the nearly three-acre property in December 2008 from Jesse C. Stewart Co. for $500,000, records show.
County tax billing records show West Carson Associates sharing an address with The Forza Group, a hotel developer.
The Forza Group is mentioned here: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ght-hotel.html

Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,630,543 times
What if the owners had decided to transform the so called "eyesores" into something useful. Would you still want them torn down?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
What if the owners had decided to transform the so called "eyesores" into something useful. Would you still want them torn down?

The answer to that is "No." They would not be eyesores then. As they stand decrepid and vacant and prominent, they, to me, are eyesores. This has nothing to do with them being old and industrial. I am a fan of Pittsburgh's past industrial heritage. It is everywhere in this city and that is part of the beauty of Pittsburgh, as opposed to people who like a city like Charlotte, where everything is chains and is brand spankin' new.
My biggest issue with these buildings is they take away from the greenery of Mt. Washington in the summer months while giving back nothing in the form of jobs or commerce.http://maps.google.com/?q=loc:+84th+...29.45,,0,-8.14

Old 03-04-2010, 03:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,308 times
Well perhaps, they could now put that land into good use since the city is paying for its demolition and a developer could now start from scratch.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:18 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,787 times
Pittsburgh has many beautiful old industrial buildings. I would not count these among them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh