Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Judge dismisses charges against CAPA student
Friday, March 05, 2010
By Paula Reed Ward, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Magisterial District Judge Oscar Petite Jr. found the woman's testimony credible, and he dismissed the case against the 18-year-old senior at Pittsburgh's Creative and Performing Arts High School, who was charged with escape and loitering in addition to aggravated assault and resisting arrest.

"When I look at everything in this case, I'm left with no other alternative but to dismiss all charges against Jordan Miles," Judge Petite said. "Officers are witnesses just like everybody else. No witness is any more important than another."

Read more: Judge dismisses charges against CAPA student
This is great news! I'll be very disappointed if the DA's office refiles charges.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is great news! I'll be very disappointed if the DA's office refiles charges.
Oh yeah, great news! Especially when the kid doesn't deny trying to run from the police when he was simply ordered to stop. That's pretty elementary.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:21 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Great news! And those cops should be fired for what they did to that student.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Oh yeah, great news! Especially when the kid doesn't deny trying to run from the police when he was simply ordered to stop. That's pretty elementary.
I would have ran too! They were UNDERCOVER cops who didn't identify themselves! He thought he was being abducted!

Did you even read the article? There wasn't even a Mt Dew bottle taken into evidence!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,036,654 times
Quote:
I would have ran too! They were UNDERCOVER cops who didn't identify themselves! He thought he was being abducted!

Did you even read the article? There wasn't even a Mt Dew bottle taken into evidence!
Its quite obvious he didn't......

Good for Jordan and those pigs need to be locked UNDER the jail for what they did to him. I watched Channel 11 news last night. Two of the pigs already have complaints, from different incidents, filed against them. Pattern, much?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
Its quite obvious he didn't......

Good for Jordan and those pigs need to be locked UNDER the jail for what they did to him. I watched Channel 11 news last night. Two of the pigs already have complaints, from different incidents, filed against them. Pattern, much?
I'm so sick of ***hole cops who think they can do whatever they please and treat everyone so horribly. The public needs to demand that the police treat the general public (not including those with arrest warrants or those accused of serious crimes) with more respect and not like everyone is some criminal.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,232,742 times
Hey little Mizz ... "pigs" went out with the 60s. Were you one of the "burn baby burn" generation that looted and burned the Hill Business District in 1969 and is now demanding that the city pay for a new grocery store? Talk about pigs,trust me a the new stores will be pearls before swine.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:31 PM

145 posts, read 282,394 times
Quote:

I read the article, and it appears clear from the Officer Saldutte's testimony that he had identified himself as a police officer prior to Miles' flight. You can accuse the officer of perjury if you like, but that's his version of events.

"Officer Saldutte, who repeatedly used the phrase "high crime area," during his testimony referring to Homewood, said he identified himself as a police officer and asked where Mr. Miles was going. When he asked Mr. Miles to stop, Officer Saldutte said the man turned to run. He noted that the right side of Mr. Miles' coat was hanging low, and he suspected he had a weapon.
After running 20 or 30 feet, Mr. Miles fell.
"He was slow to get up," Officer Saldutte said.
He commanded the man to stay down on the ground, but he wouldn't comply."

Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM

321 posts, read 857,242 times
I'm very happy to hear that justice appears to be winning over police brutality. These officers had better get charged criminally and prevented from ever being police officers again.

Onepoint, I hate to say it but I REALLY don't think you can trust a thug officer's personal testimony that he identified himself prior to Miles' flight. Particularly when said officer uses unwarranted brutality and has other complaints against him. He was probably lying to help justify his actions. It's possible that nobody can give the entire story with 100% confidence, but I think the evidence and common sense points towards Jordan's version of the story being correct.

That's not to say all cops are bad. There are good cops, bad cops, and everything in between. I'm very angry at these officers for their police brutality, but if I were a cop, I would probably be even more angry, because it makes all cops look bad. We can't trust our own police, even though we pay for them through taxes.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:55 PM

145 posts, read 282,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
I'm very happy to hear that justice appears to be winning over police brutality. These officers had better get charged criminally and prevented from ever being police officers again.

Onepoint, I hate to say it but I REALLY don't think you can trust a thug officer's personal testimony that he identified himself prior to Miles' flight. Particularly when said officer uses unwarranted brutality and has other complaints against him. He was probably lying to help justify his actions. It's possible that nobody can give the entire story with 100% confidence, but I think the evidence and common sense points towards Jordan's version of the story being correct.

That's not to say all cops are bad. There are good cops, bad cops, and everything in between. I'm very angry at these officers for their police brutality, but if I were a cop, I would probably be even more angry, because it makes all cops look bad. We can't trust our own police, even though we pay for them through taxes.
I respect your opinion. On that same note, Miles stated that the officers did not identify themselves. One could argue that perhaps Miles lied, as making this statement is the only defense he would have to justify running from the police without provocation. In short, he could have lied to justify his actions just as easily as the officer(s) may have.

Just playing devil's advocate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh