Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegrooveygirl View Post
I also don't want to get off subject either and think that Mt. Lebo will probably be a better fit, although the IB program in USC might suite the kids better.
Just when I though my school district had everything, I learned there is something called an IB program. Just looked into it. Guess USC bought into that idea, but I am not sure I will. Looks more like a title or a label of class types. Might be good, but sort of a rare thing is seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 25,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Just when I though my school district had everything, I learned there is something called an IB program. Just looked into it. Guess USC bought into that idea, but I am not sure I will. Looks more like a title or a label of class types. Might be good, but sort of a rare thing is seems.
Not a fan of the IB program at all honestly. If you dig deep into it, I think it's a political thing that stems from our govt some time ago...I won't even go there. Surprised you live in Fox Chapel and not Mt. Lebo. More walking here Have a great week.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:23 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegrooveygirl View Post
Not a fan of the IB program at all honestly. If you dig deep into it, I think it's a political thing that stems from our govt some time ago...I won't even go there. Surprised you live in Fox Chapel and not Mt. Lebo. More walking here Have a great week.
Depends where you live in FC. I walk to Aspinwall and across the Highland Park Bridge. Not as nice as Mt. Lebo though, but I am not far from Point Breeze and Shadyside, which is great. I will probably move to the city in a few years, if I stay in this area. Depends on how bad the taxes get at that point. Probably will just keep going up and up with no end in sight.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,295,988 times
Not to get off topic either, but good schools and walkability don't go hand in hand in Florida! we live in Tampa for example and we have a choice of being in a flood zone super high insurance rates bad schools, or in a suburb with better schools and nothing else but pastures! I am not one that will have good things to say about Florida, except that it is great to Vacation here and nothing else. Day to day is a whooole other ball game.

We are looking to find a place that will allow daily walks to grocery stores, small mom and pop shops and schools. & We've been searching for a year now to find the best place that will meet 90% of our needs, we know that there are drawbacks to any place, but certain things you can't find anywhere but Up North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Don't want to get way off topic, but Florida is a huge state and you can indeed find places that you can walk to everything. Venice Island, Sarasota and so many other nice little places. You could live carless daily. I hate driving everywhere myself, and would much rather walk. Back on topic, I just have a feeling the OP would be happier in Mt. Lebanon due to a greater possibility of walking more and driving less. It is so much nicer and less stressful.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 25,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I will say this, coming from Florida where we have no choice but literally drive everywhere, we are going to move mountains to find a place that is walkable to school and grocery store. We are sick and tired of having to drive everywhere that I cannot put it into "nice" words anymore.

I am European and I am used to be able to walk anywhere I want to go, having lived in FL for the last 10 years and having to drive everywhere while here, has cured me of it forever!

The ONLY driving we want to do is travel around to other cities and states, nothing else, for day to day living, no thanks. We're done and over with it.
I think Mt. Lebo is for you. I can walk uptown, schools, etc. and even to the Mt. Lebanon shops that used to have a grocery store until last May. Apparently another on is on the way in, which will be nice, b/c my son and I used to make daily walks to the grocery. There is also a bakery, dry cleaner (not organic and other shops there. My house will be on the market in a few weeks and you can't be the location. I think it is one of the best in Lebo. My neighbors are great too!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,167 times
I wonder where Wickersham ended up choosing? We too are relocating from Oslo this summer and have mainly been reading about the Mt Lebo area. We drive 45 min in traffic to school now, and would like to have a short drive or be able to walk. When we are in town, or when we go out at night, we take the train and taxis. I like the idea of my young son being able to play in the street or knock on someone's door to play. We are moving from a place where mothers leave their babies in strollers outside to nap (as long as it isn't less than 15 F) while they go in to enjoy a coffee or eat lunch. I'm originally from Texas but feel I need to be eased back into American life. My husband is orginally from Europe-but very Americanized now. Where would we fit best?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:51 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellaplusbelle View Post
I wonder where Wickersham ended up choosing? We too are relocating from Oslo this summer and have mainly been reading about the Mt Lebo area. We drive 45 min in traffic to school now, and would like to have a short drive or be able to walk. When we are in town, or when we go out at night, we take the train and taxis. I like the idea of my young son being able to play in the street or knock on someone's door to play. We are moving from a place where mothers leave their babies in strollers outside to nap (as long as it isn't less than 15 F) while they go in to enjoy a coffee or eat lunch. I'm originally from Texas but feel I need to be eased back into American life. My husband is orginally from Europe-but very Americanized now. Where would we fit best?
Here are the places I would look if you want a walking life and good school. These are in no particular order.

1. Aspinwall
2. Sewickley
3. Mt. Lebanon

There is a cool Scandinavian Club in Pittsburgh that has some parties and such if you want to be around folks that are used to what you are living now. It will be a little tough to move from Oslo, but cost of living here is much less and Pittsburgh is easier to move into that the East Coast. You probably will like it. You could leave a baby outside in a stroller, but most people are so scared to do anything because our media is so hyped up and they make it seem like there is doom on every corner. Never heard of a baby stolen in the areas I mentioned, but most people would assume the baby would be taken in 5 minutes if you looked at a menu or took a sip of coffee, so you will feel you need to have a chain attached to your baby and yourself or you will be arrested for child endangerment.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 PM

62 posts, read 98,905 times
I moved to Cranberry Township 5 years ago, and I am generally happy with that choice. I regularly take my family exploring different Pittsburgh neighborhoods and surrounding towns. The only time I seriously questioned whether making the decision to move Cranberry Township was the right choice was when we explored Mt. Lebo. I wish I seriously looked into it before making that decision. Great area. Beautiful neighborhood. Yes, houses are old, but they are just so beautiful with great character.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM

17 posts, read 38,934 times
Default Mt. Lebanon vs. Upper St. Clair

I would agree that both school districts are excellent. I think that they are different in some ways. MTL and USC have consistenly out ranked each other over recent years. USC has the IB program which MTL does not have. MTL has been ranked the 8th best school district in the nation for Fine Arts. And, has a simliar recognition for music education. Outside of football, MTL seems to do better in sports. But, I don't think there's a big difference in that regard either. The real difference, as I see it, is the housing stock. MTL has a huge collection of baronial stone and tudor homes. Some say that it's the largest in the US. They are fanatics about maintaining the the special charm of their neighborhoods. There are numerous brick streets that are tree lined and quaint business districts too. You can't go wrong with either. If I was buying a new home, I'd pick Mt. Lebanon. The services are extraordinary and so are the recreational opportunites...ditto for USC. In addition, both have a variety of housing from modest to really expensive. Both are serviced by light rail. Both communities think that their schools are tops.

Good luck and I hope that you enjoy Pittsburgh. It's a special place filled with surprises from the obvious (sports) to a well regarded cultural scene. The terrain lends itself to the most interesting development that I've seen anywhere. And, downtown is still vibrant though people complain that it isn't what it was in the 80s and 90s. Those are the people that don't get to other cities like I do. Pittsburgh is cool and offers so much... except good weather, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh