Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,909 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with modular homes in this area? My wife and I are considering several housing options and we came across modular/pre-fab homes and were interested. Any big risks involved?

We will be moving from an apartment in Elizabeth. We have a four month old and want at least one more child, so we are thinking a three bedroom home.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
They are currently building million dollar pre-fab homes in the Outer Banks. I think the stigma of "double wides" is starting to disappear.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
They are also building multi million dollar modular homes outside of D.C. I forgot where I saw the article. Also, in the magazine This Old House, a company even advertizes about custom historic looking modular homes.

Every so often I will google them and look at the plans. My complaint is that the outsides look like a a Marona home.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
Does anyone have experience with modular homes in this area? My wife and I are considering several housing options and we came across modular/pre-fab homes and were interested. Any big risks involved?

We will be moving from an apartment in Elizabeth. We have a four month old and want at least one more child, so we are thinking a three bedroom home.

Thanks.

i think the main problem is finding land to put it on, then costs of getting it wired up to city utilities...

if you're planning on purchasing a modular already lived in, then there's really nothing to fret...they are as solid or more than regular homes, assuming that they were put together right!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i think the main problem is finding land to put it on, then costs of getting it wired up to city utilities...

if you're planning on purchasing a modular already lived in, then there's really nothing to fret...they are as solid or more than regular homes, assuming that they were put together right!
We found a piece of land online, but haven't seen it in person yet. We are just seeing our options. About how much is an estimate on the cost to get wired to utilities? The land has public water and sewage available.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:01 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
Do you mean modular or manufactured? I think a manufactured home is a mobile home. A modular home is something different. With a modular home, you hire a contractor to finish the home once it is assembled on your lot. The modular home companies can give you an estimate for all of this stuff.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Not to be a geek, but:

[SIZE=2]Mobile home: Built in a factory on a permanent steel chassis before June 15, 1976. Not built to a specific code. Not eligible for Fannie, Freddie, FHA and most conventional lenders. VA may loan on these.

Manufactured home: Almost the same as a mobile home but built AFTER June 15, 1976, on a permanent steel chassis and built to the HUD national building code. This home will have metal labels (plates) attached to the exterior showing a certification number. They will also have a paper data plate (label) on the interior with information about the home, where and when it was built, serial #'s etc. Eligible for Fannie, Freddie, FHA and VA. Needs to be "legally" affixed to the land.

Modular homes:
1. On frame/on chassis modular. Almost identical to a manufactured home. Could even have been built on the same assembly line on the same day as the MH in front of it and the one behind it. But it is not built to the HUD code. It is built to UBC or some other building code. These were built in the 80's as a get around for municipalities that prohibited mobile and manufactured homes (by building to the local building code or UBC, they didn't have to be called mobile or manufactured) There are very few of these left and are quite rare. Fannie won't lend on them. Freddie might. I don't think FHA will either. Be careful of these.

2. Off frame/off chassis modular. These are built in sections in a factory and not on a permanent chassis. They are built on removable frames that serve as a work table. These are then towed or loaded on a low-boy trailer and delivered to the site where they are craned onto prepared foundations. The finish work is done by specially trained contractors. When finished they are quite often indistinguisable from site built homes. Most appraisers won't recognize the finished product as modular. They can be compared with any site built home of similar quality. They are eligible for all types of financing.

Other types of factory built housing are kit homes, panelized construction and a few other systems.
[/SIZE]

Old 03-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Do you mean modular or manufactured? I think a manufactured home is a mobile home. A modular home is something different. With a modular home, you hire a contractor to finish the home once it is assembled on your lot. The modular home companies can give you an estimate for all of this stuff.
Modular. There seems to be some advantages to a modular home and I have read good reviews.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
We found a piece of land online, but haven't seen it in person yet. We are just seeing our options. About how much is an estimate on the cost to get wired to utilities? The land has public water and sewage available.
It can cost a fortune, depending on the municipality. I know that in Economy borough the tap in fees for water and sewer are over $12,000. But others, like Penn Hills, are only $2500 or so. Call the township and ask before making an offer on a lot. I never priced gas, but I think Duquesne Light was around $550 for electric hookup.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Mind the quality -- do your research. Some people we knew had a gorgeous mod home and several years later it was just like a regular house -- no difference whatsoever.

Across the street from me three cheap mod homes were put in cheaply.... and they look like the crap they are.

In this case you really do get what you pay for. And we've lost touch with our friends so I can't find out who made their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh