Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
For starters, I should probably invest in a baseball bat. Sleeping with a bat (and maybe a large hammer) by my side couldn't hurt. Maybe getting a handgun wouldn't be a bad idea either. In someone breaks in, at least I can defend myself and my property.
Okay, now you really have lost it. I'd sign up for a meditation class if I were you or take some anxiety meds. Chill out!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
Hip Priest
Quote:
Even if Brighton Heights had gang issues (which it doesn't) Pittsburgh's gangs don't tend to target white people because they know the police will me more liable to crack down on them.

Predatory crime like that more tends to be junkies and the like. And I think it happens more in places like the South Side and Bloomfield where there's always "prey" about, not almost exclusively residential areas like Brighton Heights.
Ditto ^^^^^^^
I let eschaton response speak for its self... Central East Liberty, Bloomfield, Southside & Downtown have that issue not Brighton Heights... East Ohio Street used to have that issue, but its been cleaned up.
BTW: PAT busses no longer run that late to prevent scenario anyway.

[quote]For starters, I should probably invest in a baseball bat. Sleeping with a bat (and maybe a large hammer) by my side couldn't hurt. Maybe getting a handgun wouldn't be a bad idea either. In someone breaks in, at least I can defend myself and my property.[quote]

IMO Not necessary, but to whatever you need to feel safe...

Old 06-04-2013, 01:08 PM

654 posts, read 944,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Okay, now you really have lost it. I'd sign up for a meditation class if I were you or take some anxiety meds. Chill out!
I'll try, Julie, but it's not easy. I've very nervous about this neighborhood. I think I need a drink! I'm getting some Strongbow!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Hip Priest

Ditto ^^^^^^^
I let eschaton response speak for its self... Central East Liberty, Bloomfield, Southside & Downtown have that issue not Brighton Heights... East Ohio Street used to have that issue, but its been cleaned up.
BTW: PAT busses lo no longer run that late to prevent scenario anyway.
Well, you know your stuff, Uptown Kid, so if you think it's unlikely that I'll be targeted in BH, then I feel a little better now. Buying a house is a very emotional experience, especially when it's in a new city. Maybe things will be ok; I certainly hope they will be. I'd hate to have to move again, especially in the near future.

I didn't know things were bad in Bloomfield; I really like that neighborhood.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
Quote:
I'll try, Julie, but it's not easy. I've very nervous about this neighborhood. I think I need a drink! I'm getting some Strongbow!
I don't know what Strongbow is, but I'd pour myself a double and relax. I am going to give you so much grief when it turns out you like your neighborhood. City living is an adventure. Enjoy it.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:23 PM

733 posts, read 987,040 times
Things will be fine, Hip Priest. Just relax and have that beer. Brighton Heights is a nice neighborhood. It sounds like you are just adjusting to city living.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Also, I like to wear pocket watches. Some of mine are quite nice; they're 19th century Elgin and Waltham original movements in beautiful Victorian and Edwardian cases. I enjoy wearing them, but I'm afraid the riff raff in my hood will steal them from me. So, is it safe for me to wear them? I'd hate to live in a place where I can't even enjoy my things!
It's infinitely more likely, IME, that a (possibly attractive) hipster will reach into your pocket and make off with your timetelling finery as you cruise the streets of Lawrenceville or Bloomfield. What know they of fobbery in Brighton Heights?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:44 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
Quote:
Well, you know your stuff, Uptown Kid, so if you think it's unlikely that I'll be targeted in BH, then I feel a little better now. Buying a house is a very emotional experience, especially when it's in a new city. Maybe things will be ok; I certainly hope they will be. I'd hate to have to move again, especially in the near future.

I didn't know things were bad in Bloomfield; I really like that neighborhood.
1) Yep its nothing, though thanks and I hope you like it...
2) Residential Bloomfield isn't that bad, yet as of late, side streets and alleys off of Liberty Ave have been repeat locations for all kinds of crime. This is mainly because its a place of heavy foot-traffic, but partially due to white & black section 8 riff-raff living in the neighborhood and spill over from Garfield. The Southside, Downtown, and Central East Liberty (in chronological order) also have this issue, but its worse off in those areas after dark.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
BTW: PAT busses no longer run that late to prevent scenario anyway.
Last 16 to Brighton Heights leaves Downtown at Midnight on weekdays/Sundays and 1 AM on Saturdays.
Last 13 to Brighton Heights leaves Downtown at 12:25 AM on weekdays and 12:15 AM on Saturdays.
The 14 (which stops at 65 & Brighton Heights Blvd) leaves Downtown at 12:05 AM on weekdays.

It's not as ideal as, say, the 86 (last bus @ 1:45 AM), or even the 6 (last bus @ 12:51 AM), but it's an exaggeration to say that Port Authority buses "no longer run that late."

Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM

Never did I realize how stressful buying a house would be. Everything about this process, from top to bottom, is extremely anxiety evoking. People who have never bought before cannot even fathom all of the things that go through a buyer's mind, especially after the buyer has signed his or her life away. My tendency to be indecisive and to question my decisions after the fact, particularly the important ones, only make matters worse. I'm investing a good portion of my net worth in this little place in the almost-ghetto, and my biggest fear is that I'm going to lose a ton of money, because other people are going to realize that the neighborhood isn't a place worth living in, since there are so many other affordable neighborhoods from which to choose. Maybe I'm wrong about BH; God knows I've been wrong before. I certainly hope my assessment of BH is inaccurate. I want the neighborhood to improve, to prosper; I want to see gentrification in BH. The neighborhood has potential, but whether it will ever reach that potential is anyone's guess.

Last edited by The King of Um; 06-04-2013 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh