Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times

Advertisements

I could have told you that the mid-Mon Valley was not too good of an idea. I'd also recommend that you not use the mid-Mon Valley as a microcosm of Pittsburgh or western Pennsylvania, for that matter. I personally recommended Pleasant Hills or Jefferson Hills, and I stand by that recommendation. Besides, they're both closer to Pittsburgh and Clairton than Rostraver Township is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlady View Post
Thanks for the welcome...and it only took about a week to miss Ohio. =)
I can't get over how different things are here! Our house got broken into before we even moved in, we've had issues with pretty much every utilities company, and the school I researched so well, SUCKS! But we're all together and trying to make the best of it. It can only get better from here!!
Thanks for the heads up on the inspection.
So very sorry to hear of your problems, especially the break-in (copper stealing drug freak?). Glad to see your positive outlook, and keeping your chin up! ... With your attitude, I'm willing to bet things will go your way soon. Best of luck to you and your loved ones.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I could have told you that the mid-Mon Valley was not too good of an idea. I'd also recommend that you not use the mid-Mon Valley as a microcosm of Pittsburgh or western Pennsylvania, for that matter. I personally recommended Pleasant Hills or Jefferson Hills, and I stand by that recommendation. Besides, they're both closer to Pittsburgh and Clairton than Rostraver Township is.
I agree with this 1000%

Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 PM

14 posts, read 28,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
So very sorry to hear of your problems, especially the break-in (copper stealing drug freak?). Glad to see your positive outlook, and keeping your chin up! ... With your attitude, I'm willing to bet things will go your way soon. Best of luck to you and your loved ones.
You're exactly right about the copper stealing drug freak. I guess there had been other vacant houses that were hit in the area prior to ours, and the one across the street got hit a month after we moved in.
Thanks so much for the kind words!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:02 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,696 times
Quote:
You're exactly right about the copper stealing drug freak. I guess there had been other vacant houses that were hit in the area prior to ours, and the one across the street got hit a month after we moved in.
Thanks so much for the kind words!
Very welcome, and hope a better opinion of this area can start to blossom.

Your #10 post feels kinda familiar... My wife is originally from S. IN, (lived in Blue Ash for awhile too ), is very well traveled, but found it a bit 'different' when first living here by herself. I stayed back several months to sell the house, and without me there to guide her as to the nuances of W. PA, she dealt with some frustration. It was very different for her making a home here, rather than visiting my family with me from the many states we called home for the last 20 years.

I have lived, and visited a LOT of places across the US as I'm sure you have, and the Pittsburgh area really has its own unique vibe in my experience that I think takes some getting used to. Now nearly three years on, her and my daughter are having a great time, doing fine, and I'm willing to bet soon you will too!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:16 AM

Jay, your words are so comforting and assuring. You're so very right about the different vibe. I've lived in Texas, Virginia, and New Mexico and have never experienced this type of atmosphere, but we're slowly getting use to it.
Now for the weather.... I sure hope we don't get the same weather that you guys got last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
Very welcome, and hope a better opinion of this area can start to blossom.

Your #10 post feels kinda familiar... My wife is originally from S. IN, (lived in Blue Ash for awhile too ), is very well traveled, but found it a bit 'different' when first living here by herself. I stayed back several months to sell the house, and without me there to guide her as to the nuances of W. PA, she dealt with some frustration. It was very different for her making a home here, rather than visiting my family with me from the many states we called home for the last 20 years.

I have lived, and visited a LOT of places across the US as I'm sure you have, and the Pittsburgh area really has its own unique vibe in my experience that I think takes some getting used to. Now nearly three years on, her and my daughter are having a great time, doing fine, and I'm willing to bet soon you will too!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 AM

I forgot to add, Pirmasens Germany to the list!

Quote:
Jay, your words are so comforting and assuring. You're so very right about the different vibe. I've lived in Texas, Virginia, and New Mexico and have never experienced this type of atmosphere, but we're slowly getting use to it.
Now for the weather.... I sure hope we don't get the same weather that you guys got last year!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:41 PM

71 posts, read 191,942 times
Summerlady, do you mind if I ask you to explain what you find so different? Pittsburgh is on my short list of job hunting cities after I finish school in June. I lived there for 10 years as a kid and remember being happy there, but perspectives are skewed from a childhood point of view.

I'm north of Cincinnati, as well, and am extending my job search area to include IN, MI, W.PA, and N.KY. I'd rather not be more than 6 hours away from my family, something that's kept me from moving in the past.

If you could give me an idea of some of the things you've found challenging, I'd really appreciate it.
TIA! :-)

Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM

Hi Tia, I sent you a message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlygurl View Post
Summerlady, do you mind if I ask you to explain what you find so different? Pittsburgh is on my short list of job hunting cities after I finish school in June. I lived there for 10 years as a kid and remember being happy there, but perspectives are skewed from a childhood point of view.

I'm north of Cincinnati, as well, and am extending my job search area to include IN, MI, W.PA, and N.KY. I'd rather not be more than 6 hours away from my family, something that's kept me from moving in the past.

If you could give me an idea of some of the things you've found challenging, I'd really appreciate it.
TIA! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh