Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM

14 posts, read 28,334 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've been reading older posts regarding areas south of Pittsburgh. We currently live in a small town just north of Cincinnati (a little more country than city)
My husband will be working in both Clairton & Pittsburgh, so we'd need something in the middle.
Schools are important, and we'd love to find a home with some land, or with privacy (not with neighbors staring in your back yard).
Looks like Baldwin, West Mifflin, Jefferson Hills, Pleasant Hills, etc areas might be our best bet?

We'll be driving out there next week to look at some houses & I kinda wanted to get a jump start on where we should look.

Can anyone recommend a good Realtor?

And don't worry...I won't be wearing my Bengals jersey to ANY of the football games! I guess I'll just have to burn it!

Thanks for your input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
It depends on what you're looking for. Baldwin is a working-class suburb, while Pleasant Hills and Jefferson Hills are more middle- to upper-middle class suburbs. West Mifflin is a mixture of both.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Mod note, according to the terms of service for this site://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Recommendations are allowed for posters that have at least 10 posts. One cannot recommend himself/herself. The only area where recommendations are not permitted is real estate
Any realtor recommendations or links will be removed. Please use the DM feature if needed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:48 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Rt. 51 is most likely the route you will be traveling the most. Any of the areas along that corridor would be good.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,892 times
I would stay away from West Mifflin, it has some okay areas, but Pleasant Hills/Jefferson Hills is significantly nicer, and there are still some places you can get a fair amount of land. I lived in Baldwin until I was ten and have always thought the area seemed to be continuously getting worse, but there are still some decent neighborhoods I'm told...Have you considered South Park or Bethel Park? They're slightly farther away from town, but some areas have more of a country feel, the commute to Clairton would be easy as well.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks for all your info!! We ended up buying a house in Rostraver Twp. Things are alot different than Cincinnati, but we're getting use to it. It's alot "countrier" is that a word?? than West Mifflin, Bethel Park, etc., but we're happy where we landed.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlady View Post
Thanks for all your info!! We ended up buying a house in Rostraver Twp. Things are alot different than Cincinnati, but we're getting use to it. It's alot "countrier" is that a word?? than West Mifflin, Bethel Park, etc., but we're happy where we landed.
Oh wow, the commute from Rostraver Twp. to Pittsburgh is a bit on the long side. But hey, I once met a met who commuted from West Mifflin to Morgantown, WV 4 times a week; and my friend in White Oak commutes from there to Uniontown for their job. Still...I couldn't do it!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:41 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
No, countrier is not a word, either is alot.

Welcome to the area!

Old 11-12-2010, 03:22 AM

392 posts, read 1,068,319 times
Quote:

And don't worry...I won't be wearing my Bengals jersey to ANY of the football games! I guess I'll just have to burn it!
Typical bandwagon Bengals fan. You'd better not burn it though...what if the team goes 10-6 and wins the division again? You and 90% of the fan base will think MUCH differently.

Anyway...welcome to PA. I give it about a month until you miss Ohio. Oh yeah...remember, here you HAVE get your car inspected yearly

Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
Typical bandwagon Bengals fan. You'd better not burn it though...what if the team goes 10-6 and wins the division again? You and 90% of the fan base will think MUCH differently.

Anyway...welcome to PA. I give it about a month until you miss Ohio. Oh yeah...remember, here you HAVE get your car inspected yearly
Thanks for the welcome...and it only took about a week to miss Ohio. =)
I can't get over how different things are here! Our house got broken into before we even moved in, we've had issues with pretty much every utilities company, and the school I researched so well, SUCKS! But we're all together and trying to make the best of it. It can only get better from here!!
Thanks for the heads up on the inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh