Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 06:13 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Frick at Somerset is, to my knowledge, the only modern, suburban style subdivision within city limits. It’s one of the least walkable parts of the city and has a middling K-8 zoned school (Minadeo), yet commands some of the highest real-estate prices in the region.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh...m_content=link

The same money buys a comparable or nicer home in walkable city neighborhoods like Squirrell Hill, Shadyside, Highland Park or Friendship, or suburbs with acclaimed school districts like Mt Lebanon and Fox Chapel. Is the SOLE appeal new construction in city limits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 07:01 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Is the SOLE appeal new construction in city limits?

Given the high premium i see people will pay for shoddy new construction townhouses in my neighborhood & also work with a few people who won’t even consider an older home when house hunting.
It’s bizarre thinking for sure, but do believe it is the primary reason.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
There is another new sub-urban looking development in New Homestead, which is within the city limits, I believe. I saw it on Google maps and it's hard to believe it's within city limits. At least Summerset is a dense development, but the New Homestead one is all spread out.

I think Summerset is attractive because it's all new construction with single family homes, townhouses and apartments, so a little something for everyone.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:43 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,355 times
I don't understand a lot of peoples tastes. Just because you or i dont like it (and I hate it)..
Some people pay a lot for things that I can't fathom. But what can you do, everyone doesn't need to bend to my will.

For instance when these 'old house, walkability' loving people have kids and move to the suburbs why do they buy in subdivisions?
Granted there is good new construction, its not all bad..

But there are walkable towns , with good old housing stock, that desperately need an influx of young people. Downtown Irwin, Trafford for instance already have the good school district and are very cheap compared to the rest of the districts(subdivisions).
Other places that are relatively convenient to a lot of places like Jeannette, a dozen people with a vision could turn the entire little city around. You can get a livable old victorian well under 100k, buy a giant renovated bar/restaurant that spans half a city block for 140k. No one cares. /shrug

Last edited by safak; 09-04-2018 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: typos..probably missed a couple yet

Old 09-04-2018, 09:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
I don't understand a lot of peoples tastes. Just because you or i dont like it (and I hate it)..
Some people pay a lot for things that I can't fathom. But what can you do, everyone doesn't need to bend to my will.

For instance when these 'old house, walkability' loving people have kids and move to the suburbs why do they buy in subdivisions?
Granted there is good new construction, its not all bad..

But there are walkable towns , with good old housing stock, that desperately need an influx of young people. Downtown Irwin, Trafford for instance already have the good school district and are very cheap compared to the rest of the districts(subdivisions).
Other places that are relatively convenient to a lot of places like Jeannette, a dozen people with a vision could turn the entire little city around. You can get a livable old victorian well under 100k, buy a giant renovated bar/restaurant that spans half a city block for 140k. No one cares. /shrug
new housing and a self selected group of neighbors that are all around your same age and financial position. this is much different than an older established neighborhood that has a huge range of ages, incomes, etc. some people like the former. this applies to the somerset development as well. the rich doctor doesn't have to interact with the "poors". for some people, an old walk able neighborhood is a negative.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
new housing and a self selected group of neighbors that are all around your same age and financial position. this is much different than an older established neighborhood that has a huge range of ages, incomes, etc. some people like the former. this applies to the somerset development as well. the rich doctor doesn't have to interact with the "poors". for some people, an old walk able neighborhood is a negative.
Wow. You’re probably right. I grew up in New York, where, owing to rent-control and rent-stabilization, even the wealthiest city neighborhoods are actually mixed income, so I never really think of city-dwellers as “live away from the poors” elitists. That probably is a big part of the appeal of Frick at Somerset. I know they actually pay the Pittsburgh police department for extra patrols. That would never happen in an organic city neighborhood.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:02 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
There is another new sub-urban looking development in New Homestead, which is within the city limits, I believe. I saw it on Google maps and it's hard to believe it's within city limits. At least Summerset is a dense development, but the New Homestead one is all spread out.

I think Summerset is attractive because it's all new construction with single family homes, townhouses and apartments, so a little something for everyone.

Casa Bill. Unbelievable how many kids are there. The vast majority of them go to the Catholic School in Munhall. I think to get in the door these days you got to spend about 450,000.

Sumerset at Frick Park is very expensive. Very well done. The houses are beautiful. Has a community pool. Always see lots of people walking. The community is walkable but you aren't walking to anything other than around the community.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:15 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Frick at Somerset is, to my knowledge, the only modern, suburban style subdivision within city limits. It’s one of the least walkable parts of the city and has a middling K-8 zoned school (Minadeo), yet commands some of the highest real-estate prices in the region.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh...m_content=link

The same money buys a comparable or nicer home in walkable city neighborhoods like Squirrell Hill, Shadyside, Highland Park or Friendship, or suburbs with acclaimed school districts like Mt Lebanon and Fox Chapel. Is the SOLE appeal new construction in city limits?

Contingent.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:36 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
Must be the desire to live atop a mountain of industrial waste, ohh and the drone of the parkway and lovely exhaust smell must be endearing in some way.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:43 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Living on an old slag heap doesn't seem very smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh