Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 18,220 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'll be moving to pittsburgh in September and wondering if you would recommend getting a real estate broker to look at sublets? I'll be working downtown and trying to live as close as possible to work - but these apt. buildings have been pretty expensive and seem to be booked.

If I do live at a place like Heinz lofts or somewhere in Southside or Shadyside, would you recommend driving to work or do most people use the bus system?

Also, just wondering if you knew where Steelers/Penguins athletes live in Pittsburgh? Is it downtown at places like Carlyle?

Thank you guys for your help. This forum has been extremely helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Downtown has a shortage of rentals IMO.

Most of the condo buildings are too new to have anyone looking at renting them out. You may see rentals at Gateway Towers from time to time. (This is an older condo building.)

There should be turnover at Encore on 7th, North Shore (just over the 9th Street Bridge, walk to downtown), maybe Penn Garrison. Maybe 625 Stanwix. Newer places like Century Building (opened last year) and Market Square Place (not sure if open yet) were full and probably won't have turnover that soon. Some of those might be too expensive, especially Encore.

If you don't find something you want or can afford within the walking distance I would recommend public transit unless your employer is paying for your parking space. Parking is pricey. I was surprised last time in DC that it appeared it would generally be cheaper to park there than here!

I know a couple of the Steelers including Mr Stupid QB have houses on Washington's Landing, an island in the Allegheny River with access at the 31st Street Bridge. Or at least they used to. Not sure if any are living in condos downtown.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Greg,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. The Century Building in particular looks like a great spot....

Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean6 View Post
If I do live at a place like Heinz lofts or somewhere in Southside or Shadyside, would you recommend driving to work or do most people use the bus system?
It really matters. Some of the bus routes are awesome and are totally worth it. Some of the routes just plain suck. Last night I was hanging with a friend on Carson Street (the most vibrant part of Pittsburgh) and the bus was over twenty minutes late. That is just plain unnacceptable if you need to get to work on time. This is why I have a car in this city. You can always park in the Strip District and walk into Downtown as well. To be honest, you're going to have to play it by ear or talk to someone intimately knowledgable with taking busses from those neighborhoods into downtown (I'm not your man).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean6 View Post
Also, just wondering if you knew where Steelers/Penguins athletes live in Pittsburgh? Is it downtown at places like Carlyle?
Most of the professional athletes in Pittsburgh live outside of the city limits for the privacy and the lower tax rates. Big Ben used to live on Washington's Landing Island, but he moved to the suburbs years ago. There are a few Steelers with apartments in the South Side near the UPMC football training complex though.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
The Shadyside neighborhood, about three miles east of downtown, is full of professionals who work downtown. Lots of apartment buildings and converted houses with apartments. Most people in this area who work downtown take the bus because it's the fastest and cheapest way. The East Busway (a buses-only roadway) slices through the neighborhood and there are two stations within walking distance - Negley Station and East Liberty Station. That route will get you downtown in five minutes and the buses run every five or so minutes during rush hour.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:50 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The Shadyside neighborhood, about three miles east of downtown, is full of professionals who work downtown. Lots of apartment buildings and converted houses with apartments. Most people in this area who work downtown take the bus because it's the fastest and cheapest way. The East Busway (a buses-only roadway) slices through the neighborhood and there are two stations within walking distance - Negley Station and East Liberty Station. That route will get you downtown in five minutes and the buses run every five or so minutes during rush hour.

This is probably your best bet. The East Busway is a GREAT thing to have near you.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
What's your price range?

Here are some downtown lofts for rent:

$1,600 The perfect live/work loft for you. (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/off/1659175275.html - broken link)

$1,700 The perfect live/work loft for you. (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/off/1615829484.html - broken link)

$1,900 http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1659211089.html (broken link)

I know for a fact the second one has been available since early Fall. Maybe you can negotiate the rent.

And here are some in the Strip District:

$1,250 http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1659219288.html (broken link)

$575 http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/1646400203.html (broken link) (a few blocks outside of the Strip)

Old 03-26-2010, 02:15 PM

Thank you guys for the help.

Hopes, the price range is between $800-1200. If I can find a roommate then maybe the 3rd one would be great.

I had been looking at Market Square (beginning at $750), Heinz Lofts (beginning at $960) and Cork Factory Lofts - even though Market Square could be the only one I could walk to work from.

Is Shadyside Commons the best place to live? I am not familiar with the other options in the area...

Would you guys also happen to know if the new 3 PNC Plaza building is open?

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
If you can walk to work from Market Square, you can walk to work from North Side and the Strip District.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you can walk to work from Market Square, you can walk to work from North Side and the Strip District.
Well, yeah, but it's gonna take a good half an hour or so. There are days you won't want to walk from Cork Factory or Heinz Lofts. The latter also feels kind of isolated where it is.

The new 3 PNC Plaza building is open to a degree, but there are no rentals in it. They are selling some super high end condos, north of half a mil and up as I recall. The Fairmont hotel is opening on Monday. I believe Reed Smith has moved into their new offices there, and the only other occupant apart from a couple of shops on the bottom is PNC itself. 21st Street Coffee, one of those tenants, should be opening in a couple weeks. (This is a real local serious coffee/espresso place, not a chain fakeout. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: