Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:34 PM

17 posts, read 77,158 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I moved here to Pittsburgh with my mother in January 09'. We have been living in a beautiful Victorian in the Southside Flats. Our lease is up on April 30, the rent is jumping from $900 to $1600. We had gotten a steal to say the least - this house is about 2200 square feet and gorgeous...a certified historic ginger-bread style Victorian.

Anyway, times change and so must we.

I found a house on Mt. Washington, close to Grandview Park - the nicer section of that neighborhood. It's a great deal, $650 a month for a 3br, cute house that has a very long back yard.

The house has central heat but no AC, though my sister is going to provide us with 3 window units in the next couple of months.

I'm not certain we will be getting the house, but it looks likely, and I have my fingers crossed.

I am curious as to any differences in temperature and wind we will be experiencing perched up on the mount. Being only 3 miles from where we live now, I realize the differences will be rather minor. I am hoping, however, that there will be some noticeable difference in the summer. Being from Florida, and then having spent 10 months in Nashville, Pittsburgh's summers already feel EXTREMELY mild to me. However, I have never lived without central AC.

Will I notice more breezes and slightly lower temperatures up on Mt. Washington? I think the Southside Flats must actually be one of the hottest areas to live in in the Burgh during the summer; being near sea-level with a shelf of hills behind us blocking winds coming in from the west, with the rivers brewing up plenty of humidity and trapping it in the basin.

Anyone have personal experience of living high up in the hills and how it compares to being next to the river?

Last edited by MorphioMacabre; 03-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphioMacabre View Post
Hello everyone. I moved here to Pittsburgh with my mother in January 09'. We have been living in a beautiful Victorian in the Southside Flats. Our lease is up on April 30, the rent is jumping from $900 to $1600. We had gotten a steal to say the least - this house is about 2200 square feet and gorgeous...a certified historic ginger-bread style Victorian.

Anyway, times change and so must we.

I found a house on Mt. Washington, close to Grandview Park - the nicer section of that neighborhood. It's a great deal, $650 a month for a 3br, cute house that has a very long back yard.

The house has central heat but no AC, though my sister is going to provide us with 3 window units in the next couple of months.

I'm not certain we will be getting the house, but it looks likely, and I have my fingers crossed.

I am curious as to any differences in temperature and wind we will be experiencing perched up on the mount. Being only 3 miles from where we live now, I realize the differences will be rather minor. I am hoping, however, that there will be some noticeable difference in the summer. Being from Florida, and then having spent 10 months in Nashville, Pittsburgh's summers already feel EXTREMELY mild to me. However, I have never lived without central AC.

Will I notice more breezes and slightly lower temperatures up on Mt. Washington? I think the Southside Flats must actually be one of the hottest areas to live in in the Burgh during the summer; being near sea-level with a shelf of hills behind us blocking winds coming in from the west, with the rivers brewing up plenty of humidity and trapping it in the basin.

Anyone have personal experience of living high up in the hills and how it compares to being next to the river?
From my experience, it is the amount of concrete in areas like Lawrenceville and South Side that jack up the temperature. In grew up on the hill in O'Hara Twp. There are a lot of half acre plots of grass. This cuts down on the "heat island" effect more so than the fact theat is was a few hundred feet higher. IMHO, Pittsburgh's high temps in the warmest months tend to be a few degrees lower than in big flat cities like Chicago because of the abundance of trees as opposed to concrete. Those cities tend to get more of a heat island effect.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
I can't speak about summer weather, but I can tell you that in the winter there's a definite difference between up on the mountain and down in the flats. Of course, in a big accumulating snow you'd never notice, but sometimes, for those little nuisance snowfalls, there's only a trace down in the Southside, or the snow doesn't stick at all, while there can be an inch or so on the parking lots up on the mountain. Infer from that what you will...

Old 03-26-2010, 08:25 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I can't speak about summer weather, but I can tell you that in the winter there's a definite difference between up on the mountain and down in the flats. Of course, in a big accumulating snow you'd never notice, but sometimes, for those little nuisance snowfalls, there's only a trace down in the Southside, or the snow doesn't stick at all, while there can be an inch or so on the parking lots up on the mountain. Infer from that what you will...
To also go with what you just said. This is from the big snow back in Feb with snow total at 6 PM.

PENNSYLVANIA

...ALLEGHENY COUNTY...
MOON 4.0 600 PM 2/5 NWS PITTSBURGH
SOUTH SIDE FLATS 0.3 600 PM 2/5 CITY OF PITTSBURGH

Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 AM

92 posts, read 145,740 times
I've lived on the mount for years and never once even thought about a difference in weather from the flats (or any neighborhood). I guess it is possible...but I wouldnt let that be a huge factor. I live right near where you are describing and love it... walkable neighborhood, great parks - especially grandview park (actually us locals talk about it like our secret private little park since no one outside of our neighborhood seems to know about it ).

Plus...you are minutes from the south side station square or downtown if the need arises without having to deal with all of the traffic and commotion

Old 03-31-2010, 01:08 AM

Thanks for the responses. It isn't a deciding factor regarding the move, I am just curious. I am definitely moving up there, my mother and I found a house near Grandview Park and have made a deposit. I'm looking forward to living on Mt. Washington, it's quiet...and the views, obviously, are spectacular.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Discussion about Mt Washington weather should be about the big mountain in New Hampshire, not the hill in Pittsburgh. ;-)

Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
There is a slight difference at least closer to the hillside. There will be a breeze up there even when there does not seem to be one down in the flats.

Summer in the Burgh is a time when heat and humidity hits all neighborhoods though. At least you'll have the escape of the evening stroll along the Avenue.

There is a walkable short cut to get to the southside via Grandview Park. Walking all the way to the eastern reaches of the park puts you near Arlington Ave where Hartford St has the City Steps going all the way down to Sarah/10th street..

Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
They get tornadoes and stuff up on Mt. Washington.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

I live on Mt. Washington now. Despite what many people said here, it is noticeably less hot here on the warm days. It's not a huge difference, obviously, but it is cooler. Today I had to go down to the Flats for some errands, I was dropped off by my mom and then walked back up. As I ascended the hill on P.J. McArdle, I felt the heat lessen gradually.

I think there are several reasons for the more comfortable temps up here. For one thing, just being elevated helps some. For another, Mt. Washington and the Slopes block some of the breezes coming from the west from getting to the Flats. Also, the Urban Heat Index seems much more significant in the Flats. It is more dense and urban...it has more concrete to heat up and less greenery to absorb the heat. Mt. Washington is slightly more suburban-esque in density, and there are a lot more large patches of trees and parks.

I believe the hottest places in Pittsburgh on balmy summer days are Downtown and the Flats, probably followed by the East End as a whole, and the North Side along the river. All the flatter areas bordering the rivers are going to be a tad more uncomfortable I think.

I do live only three blocks from Grand View. I love this location. It's so much quieter than where I lived in the Flats, where not only were there some drunken college kids around, but also a very busy railroad track...I lived on Jane Street near the Southside Works.

I do walk to Grand View regularly, it feels very peaceful yet I still feel that I am in the city. I enjoy living here a lot more than the Flats, even if the latter is considered more hip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh