Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times

Advertisements

I didn't find the Pittsburgh metro area particularly racist, no more than anywhere I've lived for sure. My impression was the more educated and affluent areas seemed to be less racist on average, whether that's really true I'm not sure. My black and asian friends never complained about racism to me.

There isn't a whole lot of non-white diversity in Allegheny county in general which is about 85% white and 12% black, a good portion of which live in a few mostly black city neighborhoods. The "white" people come from fairly diverse backgrounds however.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM

660 posts, read 1,652,566 times
I don't say this to be mean, but I'm not sure what anyone actually expected to get in replies here?

The OP began the thread by asking people to be honest and give their opinions.

Then if any of those opinions don't meet with some people's foregone conclusions about racial matters, they get disparaged for making them???

Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
I don't say this to be mean, but I'm not sure what anyone actually expected to get in replies here?

The OP began the thread by asking people to be honest and give their opinions.

Then if any of those opinions don't meet with some people's foregone conclusions about racial matters, they get disparaged for making them???

We have turned the OP's thread into a political *****-fest. I admit that I contributed to that. I just like to argue.

In answer to the OP's question: Is Pittsburgh segregated? Yes, it is. The blacks live in their neighborhoods and the whites live in their neighborhoods. Is Pittsburgh racist? Slightly. Definately more than say New York, but much less than the deep south. The very rural areas surrounding Pittsburgh definately have a racist tinge. But, the suburbs and the city aren't so bad.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,815,051 times
Pittsburgh is segregated, just in a different way that the South. I've heard just as many racist comments here as I did growing up in the South, it's just said in whispers instead of shouts. But it's there, in both places.

I also agree that reverse racism is rampant. And it's a shame, since it doesn't solve problems just makes them worse.

What I don't get is why people who are so against discrimation against blacks fully support racism against whites. I had a supervisor who used to promote those views and it was a crazy thing to watch.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM

iwonderhy:

Quote:
We have turned the OP's thread into a political *****-fest. I admit that I contributed to that. I just like to argue
I could see from the subject line before even clicking on the thread that it was doomed to go off topic and get heated. Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular...just sayin' that it was inevitable.

Perhaps the OP truly was interested in hearing what people thought about race in Pittsburgh and 25 miles surrounding it, but it seems to me that this same question could be posted about any city in the USA and the following "discussion" would amount to the same.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post

In answer to the OP's question: Is Pittsburgh segregated? Yes, it is. The blacks live in their neighborhoods
By choice.....

Old 03-29-2010, 11:58 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
I think black people do sometimes get an advantage in some areas - university acceptances and some public sector jobs. But more often than not, a black person will be at a disadvantage and will not be hired because of his skin color. There have been studies with hidden cameras and undercover interviews. Also, they are often followed by security guards in stores. How would this make an innocent person feel?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Pittsburgh is segregated, just in a different way that the South. I've heard just as many racist comments here as I did growing up in the South, it's just said in whispers instead of shouts. But it's there, in both places.

I also agree that reverse racism is rampant. And it's a shame, since it doesn't solve problems just makes them worse.

What I don't get is why people who are so against discrimation against blacks fully support racism against whites. I had a supervisor who used to promote those views and it was a crazy thing to watch.
I agree reverse racism is the same thing and it keeps the cycle going. To the person who said there's no reverse racism why did the US Supreme Court side with white parents in Seattle and the white firefighters in New Haven with their discrimination lawsuits.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I think black people do sometimes get an advantage in some areas - university acceptances and some public sector jobs. But more often than not, a black person will be at a disadvantage and will not be hired because of his skin color. There have been studies with hidden cameras and undercover interviews.
No argument here...that is ALL WRONG.

Quote:
Also, they are often followed by security guards in stores. How would this make an innocent person feel?
I'm sure that is pretty discouraging...no doubt.

However, that debate falls under the "racial profiling" heading...is it right, wrong, and/or does it work.

For the most part it does work. Statistically speaking that is.

The statistics would show that the white 80 year old grandmother is much less likely to shoplift than the black teenager (for example).

Morally, it's wrong, but from a store owner's point of view of cutting his losses and concentrating on who's most likely to steal....it makes sense.

There really is only one way to reverse that and Bill Cosby has spoken along those lines....it's up to the minority group to police themselves and change the perception that isn't based so much on race as it is crime statistics.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
ok, racial profiling is statistically based, however an individual target of racial profiling has no control over other members of his group and he is still a victim. This would also apply to job hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh